Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 89573 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: Metaphorically jizzing all over the multiverse
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2015, 10:40:09 pm »

1.Was QEC communication disrupted during the experiment?  Let's say I had a robosod actively QEC possessing another robosod within the Apoc lab, to test if there were any weird side effects.

2.I'm gonna stay onboard one of the orbiting warships, even if QEC is broken.  If the BLOPS team kills the planet, well, Steve can send more lackeys, and we can rebuild the lab somewhere else.

3.The probe's video monitors showed darkness.  Were these external monitors, which we'd expect to show stars?

4.Send below text to the Doc:
Quote from:  Admin of Production to: The Doctor
The different universes we can access are numbered using a three dimensional system.  Why?  Is this an arbitrary system, meant to make things simpler for us, or does it have some relevance to the machine's operation?

Secondly, do we know if there are any consistent effects related to distance in any particular dimension?  For instance, might (0,0,9) have more stable isotopes or universal laws than (0,0,5), which in turn would be more stable than (0,0,1)?

Lastly, does the machine have any limitations related to distance?  Would visiting (0,0,9) be more difficult than visiting (0,0,1)?

@Ozark

((Rather than testing all points which are immediately adjacent to us, I suggest we test universes in certain directions: (0,0,-9), (0,0,-5), (0,0,-1),(0,0,1),(0,0,5),(0,0,9) etc, for every dimension.  Checking nearby universes first, then further ones--if 5s start straining the machine, we don't want to go to 9s.

This would show whether or not the numbers mean anything.  If all nines are more different, or more difficult to access, we've detected a rule.  If 9 in one dimension makes isotopes more stable, and -9 in the same dimension make carbon radioactive, we know we should probably focus on staying positive or neutral in that dimension.  If there are no patterns at all, then exact relative location is probably irrelevant.  Just checking every adjacent universe is unlikely to show us much, unless altering location by 2 has significant effects--which limits our available 'verses.

As to RP, I'mma assume Dester is talking to a video monitor, because that lets me RP a fleshy Saint with facial expressions and everything.))

Saint shrugs when Dester turns to his image.  "I believe so, yes.  That being said, I did not design this machine, and I do not understand its inner workings.  If it malfunctioned, I wouldn't know."

@Anyone who intentionally tries to bring Origin Tech through

((Saint will be perfectly happy to kill you to stop you.  And he's quite capable of it, considering he's the supreme commander of all our sods.  In fact, I'll probably specifically have everyone searched for unauthorized materials, although that's more because somebody could forget, or something could be missed on a wiki page.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2015, 10:48:49 am »

as to rp, I was assuming the most likely scenario for everyone to be in direct communication, so yeah, that works. As to distances along the planes, I don't see why we couldn't do that as well. hmm.
Alright , I'll edit my action for six directions in increments of 4

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2015, 01:33:07 pm »

((I would take over phase 1 testing, but all those numbers with only a comma between them are confusing the shit out of me))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2015, 02:36:05 pm »

Probably not going to be useful for the next few turns, so Im just going to monitor our security forces and miscellanious staff until it comes time when I can be useful again
Alright.
let's see ....

To the Doc"That's ... a lot of information in a few short sentences. I ...
How did you escape death? I assume the UWM didn't just hand your brain over to be fitted into a shiny new body. Oh, hey, on that subject:  Ihear you are a wizard with medical stuff, but this one may be beyond even you.
Dester produces the jar of Manuel"I believe this is all that remains of another interesting doctor from within the HMRC. there's very little, if any, neural tissue left, but would you be able to reconstruct him from this, and from what records you have of him?"

When given an opportunity to ask, Dester continues, eyes shining with with interest "What was this Origin, anyway? Some kind of alien artifact? Mr. Saint says it came from within our universe. How did you find it? What did you do?"

In regards to the test: Dester asks how high the temp and radiation were, and if it was consistent with proximity to a star, if we can know that. Was the probe or it's contents damaged by the heat and radiation? Let's launch a second probe with all sensors, to the same universe to see if we get consistent results.

Would it be too much for one turn to duplicate that test on all 25 of the other coordinates surrounding 0,0,0? If so, don't. If not, do.

Send Phase One probes into 0,0-1, 0,1,0, 0,-1,0, 1,0,0, and -1,0,0, and then to 0,0,+/-5, 0,+/-5,0, and +/-5,0,0 (so one universe in each of the six cardinal directions, and then five universes in each cardinal direction).

As for the Exotic material: Let's (provisionally) establish a phase 3.5 for passive artifact testing, and 4.5 for active artifact testing (that is, send them without using them in 3.5, and send volunteers to activate them in 4.5

Probably not going to be useful for the next few turns, so Im just going to monitor our security forces and miscellanious staff until it comes time when I can be useful again
If you want, you can take over the phase one testing and free me up to concentrate on phase two stuff. It's just: launch phase one probe into x universe. And Launch phase one probe into x universe, then into y universe, then into home universe, and stuff like that. That keeps me from delivering walls of text, and keeps someone else's hand in.

In the control room, with the team present:
Upon seeing the video of the probe returning, the tension seems to drain from Dester a bit, and he let's out a shout "Success! We've launched a probe into another universe and brought it back! Woo!"

later, to Saint
"Wait. We did, right? We didn't just send it somewhere in this universe, did we?"
"I escaped by virtue of being able to get better. "

"I could try, assuming it wants to come back"

"We found it mostly via backtracking and tracing movements of anomalous planetoids. And we tinkered. For a long time."

The temp was 200 C and rose to 250 before it warped out, though the temp increase was slowing near the end. Radiation was lower than close proximity to a star, but it could be from a somewhat distant star, or weaker radiation sources nearby. The camera didn't give any hint of the source and there was no visible star or stars. Nothing was damaged, in so far as anything different than you expect. Ie, things with melting points below the temps it sustained melted, but they didn't turn into bees or explode or anything.

You send the probe in again. The results are basically identical, +/- 2 C.

Ok.

0,0-1,  0,1,0    1,0,0 all return similar results as the original probe, except for minor variations in temp and radiation.  The probe to 0,-1,0 returns intact however it has been highly irradiated...or something. The sensors don't report any ambient radiation but the entire probe itself has become somewhat radioactive, including all the elements. Though it doesn't appear to be normal radiation...rather the things are spraying out chunks of subatomic particles and rapidly degrading into "lower" elements.

-1,0,0, doesn't come back at all.

0,0,+/-5: Standard null
0,+/-5,0: Null,  Doesn't return.
+/-5,0,0:  Comes back, coated in and carrying about 400 pounds of pink slime.  Null

What?  I don't understand your lingo, hepcat.

ERROR ERROR! Multi-function power gauntlet contains kinetic amp. Kinetic amp is origin tech. Requires explicit permission from Steve.
Or you could get the kinamps removed and keep the rest of the gauntlets.

((The wiki says that they're relatively safe, just less reliable than before. I mostly bought them for the grappling claws, to be honest.))

I probably should have mentioned that the gauntlets have kinamp knuckles. Is that an issue?

Gus will observe, and help out if anyone asks.

I dunno, how much do you like your guts NOT invaded by space parasites.

1.Was QEC communication disrupted during the experiment?  Let's say I had a robosod actively QEC possessing another robosod within the Apoc lab, to test if there were any weird side effects.

2.I'm gonna stay onboard one of the orbiting warships, even if QEC is broken.  If the BLOPS team kills the planet, well, Steve can send more lackeys, and we can rebuild the lab somewhere else.

3.The probe's video monitors showed darkness.  Were these external monitors, which we'd expect to show stars?

4.Send below text to the Doc:
Quote from:  Admin of Production to: The Doctor
The different universes we can access are numbered using a three dimensional system.  Why?  Is this an arbitrary system, meant to make things simpler for us, or does it have some relevance to the machine's operation?

Secondly, do we know if there are any consistent effects related to distance in any particular dimension?  For instance, might (0,0,9) have more stable isotopes or universal laws than (0,0,5), which in turn would be more stable than (0,0,1)?

Lastly, does the machine have any limitations related to distance?  Would visiting (0,0,9) be more difficult than visiting (0,0,1)?

@Ozark

((Rather than testing all points which are immediately adjacent to us, I suggest we test universes in certain directions: (0,0,-9), (0,0,-5), (0,0,-1),(0,0,1),(0,0,5),(0,0,9) etc, for every dimension.  Checking nearby universes first, then further ones--if 5s start straining the machine, we don't want to go to 9s.

This would show whether or not the numbers mean anything.  If all nines are more different, or more difficult to access, we've detected a rule.  If 9 in one dimension makes isotopes more stable, and -9 in the same dimension make carbon radioactive, we know we should probably focus on staying positive or neutral in that dimension.  If there are no patterns at all, then exact relative location is probably irrelevant.  Just checking every adjacent universe is unlikely to show us much, unless altering location by 2 has significant effects--which limits our available 'verses.

As to RP, I'mma assume Dester is talking to a video monitor, because that lets me RP a fleshy Saint with facial expressions and everything.))

Saint shrugs when Dester turns to his image.  "I believe so, yes.  That being said, I did not design this machine, and I do not understand its inner workings.  If it malfunctioned, I wouldn't know."

@Anyone who intentionally tries to bring Origin Tech through

((Saint will be perfectly happy to kill you to stop you.  And he's quite capable of it, considering he's the supreme commander of all our sods.  In fact, I'll probably specifically have everyone searched for unauthorized materials, although that's more because somebody could forget, or something could be missed on a wiki page.))
1. There appears to be some distortion when the things return. Unconsciousness, synesthesia, Tingling feelings, Euphoria, sense of dread or impending doom, and itching of internal sinuses.

2. Fair enough.

3. It was external cameras, pointed out in different directions around the probe. We don't know what we'd expect to see, but we didn't see anything.

4. "The numbers are not spacial. Well, not for the areas we're going to. It's a reference to the 3d coordinates of various functional pieces within the machine.  Movement of those pieces alters the output of the engine, so to speak.

Nope.

Nope."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2015, 03:32:57 pm »

Maybe gus could start trainign our security forces, eventually leading up to how well they react to xeno-spit?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2015, 06:39:35 pm »

+/-5,0,0:  Comes back, coated in and carrying about 400 pounds of pink slime.  Null

Could you explain "Standard" and "Null"?  0,0,5 comes back standard? 0,0, -5 comes back with no results?

as for the Phase 3.5 and 4.5, I meant: we run the plan as normal to step 3, then add a step after step 3 and before step four, in which we send artifacts, just to see if they physically react weird. Then we do step four, then we add another step, in which we send test people to activate the pimp cane and other activateable artifacts, to see if they react differently in the new universe.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2015, 08:41:55 pm »

Could you explain "Standard" and "Null"?  0,0,5 comes back standard? 0,0, -5 comes back with no results?

as for the Phase 3.5 and 4.5, I meant: we run the plan as normal to step 3, then add a step after step 3 and before step four, in which we send artifacts, just to see if they physically react weird. Then we do step four, then we add another step, in which we send test people to activate the pimp cane and other activateable artifacts, to see if they react differently in the new universe.

When I say "standard" or "null" or something like that, I mean it's similar or almost exactly the same as the first one. Ie, vacuum, 200~C, radiation, etc.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2015, 09:32:19 pm »

...Can we collect some of that pink slime and analyse it? I'm curious to see what its makeup is. And if we can use it to make our dicks bigger for R&D? And it came from +/-5, 0 , 0? As in, both sides?

I petition we move onto phase two in the Standard-reading universes.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:15:10 am by Gentlefish »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2015, 11:15:23 pm »

...Can we collect some of that pink slime and analyse it? I'm curious to see what its makeup is. And if we can use it to make our dicks bigger for R&D? And it came from +/-5, 0 , 0? As in, both sides?
((Pretty sure that's the stuff they put in hot dogs.))

Maybe gus could start trainign our security forces, eventually leading up to how well they react to xeno-spit?
((Gus isn't even remotely aware of what xenospit is, but if Vincent wants he can commence training exercises.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2015, 08:07:40 am »

I'm speculating that these common universes with consistent radiation are universes in which matter never condensed. Some universal constant is off just enough that all that exists is the background radiation, which is much higher than ours because it comes from all the energy contained in a universe. more tests will be needed, of course.
((from the looks of it, our first probes are a combination of phase 1 and 2, containingthe elements and sensors))

Send a more durable drone ship into 0, 0, 1. Give it more powerful sensors, and make sure it is protected against the observed heat and radiation levels. Program it to activate it's sensors and travel in a straight line, avoiding obstacles that it detects. Leave it run for an hour, then recall it. If we find no new information, send it back and leave it to run for a day.

Send in our Phase 1 and 2 boxes to universes 0, 0, +/-9;    0, +/-9, 0;    and +/-9, 0, 0;  (I assume from the last tests that you understand that +/- means one box goes to +9, one to -9, in that order)

To the Doc:
Those are the planetoids that travel in straight lines from one jump point to the next, right? What was Origin then? Some Star System full of planetoids? Some kind of machine? You've been studying materials found on these planetoids, right? Do you think that tech is also infected by this new threat? How do you "get better" from death? Would my team be able to do this as well?

(@ Ryan, I believe that the slime came from 5, 0, 0, and that -5, 0, 0 was a standard, hot, radiated void)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:54:16 pm by Ozarck »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2015, 12:48:42 pm »

Quote from: Dester to: Black Ops Team
I understand that there is another team on Hephaestus. Apparently their status is currently unknown. If Gus, Jesse, or someone else would like to do a little checking to see what's going on there, we could probably use that information. Try not to get involved if it's more weird shit though, just check on their status for now. Also, I hear that there are artifacts on Heph that are in need of testing. If Petra or someone else would like to organize some experiments with them that'd be cool too. Again, try not to break the universe, we still need what's left of it for a while.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2015, 01:08:32 pm »

Hey, people not doing anything active, wanna play with something?

Ah ok.

I petition we move onto phase two in the Standard-reading universes.
5+. I was doing it where the first sentence was for +, second for -.

The pink slime, after some quick analysis appears to be mostly carbon and water in nature, but not organic, or at least it doesn't contain any cells or common organic molecules that we know of. It's mostly Carbon chains, but pure carbon not  hydrocarbons, just a series of carbons double bonded to each other in a line. The waters are forming some sort of gelatinous but organized form, like a soft crystal. This is actually where the pink color comes from, some kind of light refraction effect.

We'd need to do some human tests to know if it has effects on people, but from what we can guess, it's probably non-toxic and biologically inactive.

I'm speculating that these common universes with consistent radiation are universes in which matter never condensed. Some universal constant is off just enough that all that exists is the background radiation, which is much higher than ours because it comes from all the energy contained in a universe. more tests will be needed, of course.
((from the looks of it, our first probes are a combination of phase 1 and 2, containingthe elements and sensors))

Send a more durable drone ship into 0, 0, 1. Give it more powerful sensors, and make sure it is protected against the observed heat and radiation levels. Program it to activate it's sensors and travel in a straight line, avoiding obstacles that it detects. Leave it run for an hour, then recall it. If we find no new information, send it back and leave it to run for a day.

Send in our Phase 1 and 2 boxes to universes 0, 0, +/-9;    0, +/-9, 0;    and +/-9, 0, 0;  (I assume from the last tests that you understand that +/- means one box goes to +9, one to -9, in that order)

(@ Ryan, I believe that the slime came from 5, 0, 0, and that -5, 0, 0 was a standard, hot, radiated void)
You attempt to recall the advanced drone after an hour and the machine registers an error. It says it can't find the tag.
0, 0, +/-9: Null, Probe returns, but there is no data in the drives, no elements in the cargo and it no longer projects a shadow.
0, +/-9, 0: Probe returns with readings that are oddly livable, chilly but livable, and video of what appears to be a large enclosed area. An uneven surface can be seen in front of the probe, but the probe hasn't been told to move so it sort of just sits there staring out into the dark for a minute before returning. No noticeable change to the elements.  The other universe is Null.
+/-9, 0, 0: Null, Something which appears null but is far hotter. Sensors pick up what looks like a starscape but...well, smudged and far too great. As though the entire universe was covered in the hazy glow of galactic cores, all smeared together across the void.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2015, 01:26:00 pm »

To the Doc:[/b]Those are the planetoids that travel in straight lines from one jump point to the next, right? What was Origin then? Some Star System full of planetoids? Some kind of machine? You've been studying materials found on these planetoids, right? Do you think that tech is also infected by this new threat? How do you "get better" from death? Would my team be able to do this as well?

Hmm, looks like we have a universe that needs further exploration.

Launch Phase two probe into 0, 9, 0 (the oddly livable enclosed space one). Check how big the enclosed space is, and what kind of material the enclosure seems to be made of. Record everything we can, and have drone robots explore the enclosure, if it is a reasonable size to do so in. Leave them there for long enough to accomplish that if it can be done within a day. Otherwise, record what is there and have the probe return in an hour.

Can we launch multiple probes before recalling one? If, say, we were to launch a drone into pink slime land , have it move 100 meters, then launch a second one, and have them attempt to communicate with each other, would that be viable, or would we have to launch them together?

Edit: Launch phase one Probes into
1, 0, +/-1;
1, +/-1, 0;
0, 1, +/-1;
0, -1, +/-1;
-1, 0, +/-1;
-1, +/-1, 0
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:04:51 am by Ozarck »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:05 pm »

((I don't really have anything to do in the Limbo thread.))
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »

((Specify. Petra isn't really doing much.))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54