Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 35983 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »

Name: Neal Thompson
Skills: Stealthy, Hardy

Ship Vote: Salvage

Encapsulation: he's the company man, so to speak - the gray individual plucked from one low-ranking position or another to ensure the safety of certain investments, or at least maximize the possibility of them making some money. You really have no reason to despise him, but somehow you think you will anyway. He is as short as he is handsome, and as fun as you would expect. His interests, which he presented to you on the walk to the vessel you will be taking charge of, include such wonderful activities as the collection of instructions for various medicines and the making of frequent video logs.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:57:56 pm by Harry Baldman »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 04:37:08 pm »

Important question: Are there aliens in the near vicinity of Earth in the setting?

Actually I may as well post my bio here since it's already written:

Dio was the son of a craftsman in Sardinia, recruited into the army at age 16 circa. 1738. Six years later, during the battle of Villafranca, he was supposedly killed in battle according to his comrades, although his body was never found.

In actuality, he was the first live human to make contact with an interplanetary expedition sent by the Machine-Savants of Beta Pictoris about a hundred years prior. The machines had spent some thirty years cataloging human behavior, language, and customs. But some facets of human life such as warfare and politics were completely alien to the machine society; they were instilled with death-feedback systems by their creators, and thus could not intentionally harm or coerce another sapient being. The Savants thought it necessary to collect a live specimen and teach it their language in order to make light of human behavior.

It turns out that this was a very bad idea on their part.

Dio Costanzo was until recently the sole crew of an old, almost dysfunctional vessel unceremoniously dubbed Failed Experiment. A series of major glitches in the limited-AI maintainence network went unnoticed for several years, as Dio made heavy use of the ship's stasis facilities, and wasn't yet awake to deal with major problems. As a result, the vessel broke down recently and Dio was forced to find another one.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 04:45:09 pm »

Important question: Are there aliens in the near vicinity of Earth in the setting?

In this setting Earth was abandoned. Humanity ended up turning the atmosphere toxic in a great war, and left the planet after discovering a planet ship buried under the ice in Antarctica which has brought them to the current part of the galaxy, if they are still in the Milky Way. The place mankind found themselves in has come to be called Galactic Space, and is home to a number of races aside from Mankind itself.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 04:46:03 pm »

Ah, so the bio is valid, yes? We could presume the savants had a starmap of some sort.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »

As for Awareness it can be +2 to Search and Spot related rolls, or +1 to Search & Spot Rolls and +1 to initiative assuming that's what you want.

Thanks - I'll take the +1 / +1, just with the added descriptive bit that I kind of wanted it to come across in a "something doesn't feel right" kind of sense of being ready. If that makes sense. I'm a bit tired. You know, like an experienced but disgraced space cop's intuition ;)

I also don't mean his Charismatic to be much in the way of charming, but, I suppose, forceful. Convincing.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:22 pm »

Ah, so the bio is valid, yes? We could presume the savants had a starmap of some sort.
Yeah, it'll work just fine though technically speaking your character would have been in cryostasis for almost ten thousand years :v

As for Awareness it can be +2 to Search and Spot related rolls, or +1 to Search & Spot Rolls and +1 to initiative assuming that's what you want.

Thanks - I'll take the +1 / +1, just with the added descriptive bit that I kind of wanted it to come across in a "something doesn't feel right" kind of sense of being ready. If that makes sense. I'm a bit tired. You know, like an experienced but disgraced space cop's intuition ;)

I also don't mean his Charismatic to be much in the way of charming, but, I suppose, forceful. Convincing.
Ah, yeah I see what you mean now, kinda surprised I didn't get it before :P

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »

Yeah, it'll work just fine though technically speaking your character would have been in cryostasis for almost ten thousand years :v

Is the technology in-setting able to do that? I was thinking that he basically took control of the machines on the ship so they could constantly keep it repaired, using asteroid mining and other resources as necessary.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 05:00:15 pm »

Quick question, am I on the waitlist? Edited my skills slightly, since it looks like my intended niche got nabbed in an edit. The replacements work even better, though.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »

Well I am done - non-charming Charisma and Search/Initiative unless anyone can suggest anything more useful to the team and to the disgraced former space cop build.

I guess he is basically a thuggish rogue. I'm not quite sure what on-board role he'd play - First Lieutenant sounds nicely vague as to what he actually does :)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 05:03:54 pm »

Quick question, am I on the waitlist? Edited my skills slightly, since it looks like my intended niche got nabbed in an edit. The replacements work even better, though.

I changed mine because I saw yours. :S

Programming is basically a must for my character. The other skill can be pretty much anything, but I was thinking that he'd have basically no experience with other people, so a combat or charismatic trait would be out of place. I could do Navigation, but that begs the question: are the complications that arise from travel fun encounters, or just normal stuff like coolant leaks?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 05:36:54 pm »

I changed mine because I saw yours. :S

Programming is basically a must for my character. The other skill can be pretty much anything, but I was thinking that he'd have basically no experience with other people, so a combat or charismatic trait would be out of place. I could do Navigation, but that begs the question: are the complications that arise from travel fun encounters, or just normal stuff like coolant leaks?
Travel complications can be anything from minor wear and tear to pirates attacking you.

Is the technology in-setting able to do that? I was thinking that he basically took control of the machines on the ship so they could constantly keep it repaired, using asteroid mining and other resources as necessary.
Some extinct ancient races would have the tech for such long term Cryostasis but it would be very very rare.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 05:44:02 pm »

Some extinct ancient races would have the tech for such long term Cryostasis but it would be very very rare.

I was thinking that the Machine-Savants of Beta Pictoris originated from Von Neumann probes sent to the system anyway, so they aren't exactly a capable civilization themselves. What if it simply took greater-than-normal resources to do it? As in, most of the ship's processing power basically relegated to repairing cellular damage and other such stuff.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:45:36 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 05:54:32 pm »

I was thinking that the Machine-Savants of Beta Pictoris originated from Von Neumann probes sent to the system anyway, so they aren't exactly a capable civilization themselves. What if it simply took greater-than-normal resources to do it? As in, most of the ship's processing power basically relegated to repairing cellular damage and other such stuff.
Its feasible enough, so lets go with that. It'll let me drop a story hook related to the ship you were on anyway

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:38 pm »

The Praxis' mess hall is filled with a tense silence as five individuals sit one one side of the table looking at a young blonde woman in a suit that the lot of you couldn't afford even if you sold all of your possessions. Finally breaking the silence, the woman turns to the man beside her as she speaks,

"This is Neal Thompson, he'll be the corporation's go between for your crew when out on assignment as well as an observer to ensure that you do your work up to Macnameer Corp's standards. You can finish introductions after I've left, but right now we have more pressing concerns, mainly the terms of your employment on board this ship.

We will call on you whenever your vessel is needed for work and generally we'll have several offers for you to choose from to fulfill your corporation quota. Aside from that you are free to do salvage work as you see fit, but everything that you want to sell will have to be sold through our Corporation which will take precisely 35% of the profits. If you find these terms unsatisfactory you can either quit, or buy your ship's contract at four hundred thousand credits.

Now, I have far more important work to do than explain anymore rules to simple salvagers. I'll leave these work offers here, when you decide on which one you're going to take have Mr. Thompson send us a message so we can confirm the work with Customs."

With that the woman stands up, and leaves without another a word. On the table are three different folders labelled 'Macnameer Freighter Reclamation', 'Calmar Customs Vessel Reclamation', and 'Settler Pirate Incident Reclamation'.

Spoiler: Dio Costanza (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:04:11 pm by adwarf »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21