Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 35987 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »

"Hmm... I don't remember enough detail about the local insignias..."

Try to remove or take a photo of the small remaining bit of insignia. When we get back to the bridge, run it by any such database as might be useful.
Neil takes a digital photograph of the insignia and brings it to the bridge to upload it. He runs it through some of the free image databases and is lucky to get some strong possibles. This tells him that the ship is quite common and probably some kind of mass-produced model. Amelia looks up from her navigational work and spies what Neil is doing. That's not any ship manufacturing or military insignia Amelia knows, and she tells Neil so. Neil adjusts his search parameters and the search engine outputs a single result: "Insignia, Royal Iron Ore Company, UM Department of Research and Development".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:50:40 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:18 pm »

Dio is already at work figuring out the fighter's network protocol, and hack into its systems if necessary.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2016, 05:42:20 pm »

"Okay, bad news and good news. Bad news: The primary thruster is a hell of a mess. Good news: there's six optic sensors and two secondary thrusters we could still salvage, given about a day's work. Someone else would have to come out here to remove them, though, given that dismantlement's not my line of work.
Are there any visible guns or other weapons on the fighter? If so, list them. If not, try to look for them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2016, 06:10:04 pm »

Dio is already at work figuring out the fighter's network protocol, and hack into its systems if necessary.
Trent helps you locate the network access panels on the outside of the fighter. You make sure the ship's firewall is running, then hook up the fighter to the LAN and, using the appropriate power adapters, feed the ship enough power to boot its computer systems. You quickly determine that the ship's server is protected by an encrypted password.

You could try to brute force it with a rainbow table if you had the appropriate software, but that kind of program is highly protected and not available to you. At least not legally. If you were much better at programming you might be able to write the hash cracking program yourself. Anyone else on the crew wouldn't have been able to even get this far.

"Okay, bad news and good news. Bad news: The primary thruster is a hell of a mess. Good news: there's six optic sensors and two secondary thrusters we could still salvage, given about a day's work. Someone else would have to come out here to remove them, though, given that dismantlement's not my line of work.
Are there any visible guns or other weapons on the fighter? If so, list them. If not, try to look for them.
There are no visible weapons on the fighter. You have no idea what to look for anyways. You call Amelia to get some advice and she tells you that a fighter of that size that doesn't have visible cannons or lasers would likely have torpedoes stored somewhere in the hull. Sounds like you'd need to strip the fighter to learn if this is true.

Potential Projects:

Strip the Fighter
Requirements: 0/24 hours of working completed. Each person who is working on it contributes an hour of work. If six people work at the same time for four hours, the job will be done in a total of four hours.
Result: Scrap, basic metal, basic and advanced electronic components, Varitecnic Battle Computer™, torpedoes(?), 6 optic sensors, 2 secondary maneuvering thrusters, broken anti-g tank, fighter-class ship frame. These rewards will be acquired in the order they are listed.

Hack the Fighter's Computer
Requirements: Hash cracking software.
Result: Access to the fighter's server (the battle computer).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:02:33 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2016, 12:21:49 am »

((Hmm, I should have +3 points in programming, right?))

Put points into Programmer. All of them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2016, 11:58:38 am »

You had 0 points in programming, then you put all 4 of the points you earned into programming.
End of First Assignment Report
Skill Points Earned: 1d4 = 4 Skill Points Earned!
Put points into Programmer. All of them.
You still need 16 more to get to the next rank. It's in your character sheet if you mouse over your skills. I'm a beginner programmer IRL and I don't see myself cracking hash codes on my own, but if you can prove that a beginner could do something like that with no documentation and no help, I'll give you a shot at rolling for it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:18:43 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2016, 02:09:52 am »

I thought starting with
Progamming Basics - Allows the creation of basic progams, and modifcation of existing programs for drones, buoys, and the like.
gave me a bonus at the start. But okay.

Remove the hard drive and make several copies of the data, then open the filesystem on a different computer.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:12:54 am by _DivideByZero_ »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #277 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:04 pm »

Remove the hard drive and make several copies of the data, then open the filesystem on a different computer.
You grab some tools from Tobias' toolbox and set to work tearing out random panels in the cockpit looking for wherever it is that the ship's computer system storage drives are actually located. After nearly half an hour of work you finally find it tucked off in a far corner behind several layers of armor plating, and luckily when you pull out the drive some wires off to the left spark, which while it does scare you it turns out the gunfire had damaged the system set up to fry the drives if they were pulled. With the drives in hand you head to the bridge to copy the data and try to open the files from one of the ship's computers which greets you abruptly with a flashing screen across all the ship's computer screens that reads,

"Forcing System Lockdown, Unknown Hardware. Input Access Code for ESDP #457 please."

Shortly after you hear the engines powering down and several attempts from Amelia to reactivate them proves futile ... Well, shit.

Spoiler: Crew Account (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (Tiruin) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (GigDes) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:46:03 pm by adwarf »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 29, 2016, 10:41:33 pm »

Power cycle the ship's server to clear the message (read: pull the plug). And use a laptop next time, for the love of God.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:57:34 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 29, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »

Power cycle the ship's server to clear the message (read: pull the plug). And use a laptop next time, for the love of God.
The laptop is currently incapable of making a copy of or accessing the files on that drive since it doesn't have the power to run through booting the OS on the drive, and to access the files you need to boot the OS from the drive which ... caused what you just saw.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:02 pm »

You don't need to boot the OS on a normal hard drive to access its files. Is it a normal hard drive or something else? Because I never would have tried to boot it if I couldn't do that. News to me if something like that even exists in real life.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:48 pm »

Amelia threw her hands up in the air, in the universal expression of "what just happened :I" as she spun in her seat to check on the other subsystems.

"This is Amelia speaking from the bridge, what just happened through the ship? I've detected no external objects or projectiles having any impact on us, nor any solar radiation having any effect. We've been interrupted after more than half our hyperspacing to the destination, and going on sub-light thrusters will take more than our mission allotment time, as well as boredom--and they aren't working either! Cursory checking shows that all our firewalls are shredded, so we've been hit by a digital bug. Systems report that it has only targeted our engine systems, although I'm unsure on collateral damage.

"What's going on out there?!"

Be all :I in the meantime until I get a response.
Think of possible options we can do in event of engines failure--I'm thinking along the theme of 'distress signal'.
But in the meantime, check where we are on the map!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:28:39 pm by Tiruin »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2016, 11:21:29 pm »

You don't need to boot the OS on a normal hard drive to access its files. Is it a normal hard drive or something else? Because I never would have tried to boot it if I couldn't do that.
Its not a normal hard drive as its the literal core of the fighter's battle computer which contains all of its data, the programs it needs to aid the pilot in fighting, the OS that runs all of it, etc. You also didn't know you could not because you don't really know anything about how fighters work. I won't really tell you guys things you won't know in character unless I feel its necessary to do that since I feel its more fun when you're playing a perspective your character would have.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2016, 11:26:07 pm »

My action was to read the hard drive independently of the computer, i.e. boot up linux and try to open the harddrive from there.

But regardless, since you clarified what actually happened, undo whatever crap I just did and boot from our ship's hard drive again to get things back to normal.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:30:59 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2016, 11:30:57 pm »

My action was to read the hard drive independently of the computer. My action was not "take the whole thing and plug it into our ship's computer".

open the filesystem on a different computer.

Those are your exact words, I did as you asked. You literally did want to plug it into a computer and the only one you had access to that could actually copy the sheer amount of data that would be on a drive that size? The ship's computer. I will not adjust your actions to the safest thing automatically, I do as you tell so if you didn't want to use the ship's computer you should have specific to try and use the laptop. Or asked if you could.

I cannot read your mind as I've stated before I'm fairly sure, so I can only do what you actually put down.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21