Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 36050 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2016, 03:29:10 pm »

Try to determine the caliber of the rounds that did in this spacecraft.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2016, 10:55:42 am »

With everyone back aboard the ship Amelia starts up the Anmyral ship salvager before sitting back to relax, and enjoy the show of an entire ship being stripped to pieces by an automated system, truly an extremely helpful tool. It takes the ship an hour to cut the armory free of the wreckage before upon which it stows the massive compartment inside of storage bay one before turning its focus back onto the remaining hull plating and salvageable internals designated previously. The end result is somewhat sad considering that all the weapons were destroyed or too damaged to be worth the salvage, but for a first haul its not too bad.

Quote from: Salvaged Goods!
Armory Compartment [Unknown Contents, 150 Units]
20 Starship Dunarium Hull Plates [5 Units each]
15 Units of Scrap Metal
25 Units of Basic Metal

Write a report of the things we have done. Do a precise inventory of the components obtained.
Once the salvage operation is complete you head to the storage bays and begin to create a report of the day's work for the Macnameer Corp which thankfully seems to have been a good run this time considering you didn't run into any dangerous situations alongside the successful retrieval of the objective. Even with the armory compartment excluded from day's salvage you're sure that the haul this time was well worth it for the crew considering the stack of dunarium plating in the storage bay, each piece of that is worth around seven hundred credits though that's if you have a reliable buyer. It takes most of the return trip to get your report, and inventory finished.

See if we can't help TT with making a brig whilst we're on the way home. Ensure we contact Harold before arrival as agreed, and that we go to the right dock.
Busy, busy!

With help accepted, make the brig, a medical cupboard in the corner of the bridge, and begin designing an exoskeleton with attachment points for armour.

Trent and Neil spend the duration of the automated salvage butchering one of the spare bedrooms on the ship in order to make a brig since who knows when you'll have to lock someone up, that or need a place to store a chicken. The end result is simple, but fairly effective as the door has been changed to only open from the outside with three sliding bolts around the door to lock it in place, and with anything that might have been usable by prisoners removed or patched over inside of the room itself. The main problem with it at the moment is an inability to see what is going on inside though you could easily fix that with a window or just a camera on the inside.

---

For a medical cupboard you take a locker you used to bring some of the supplies over from the ship, and set it up near the bridge with all of your current medical supplies loaded into it. It's a simplistic solution, but you doubt you'll be needing a full medbay for now. With that done you turn to the real project, the creation of a design for an exoskeleton! You focus your efforts on a frame meant to be worn over top of a spacesuit, and normally that is made using regular metals with a grid of electrical cabling built in just in case you decided to modify it with anything that'll require some power. Each body part section has hard points for putting on armor plates though you'll probably want to get those made before you start running around wearing it.

Try to determine the caliber of the rounds that did in this spacecraft.
You judge the holes in the ship mostly came from a gun similar to your ship's Braxis Z-9 which isn't all that surprising considering its a fairly common armament for ships that might have need of defending themselves against other ships.

Later!

Your journey back to Calmar is uneventful thanks to Amelia's planning, luck, and the deterrence provided by your closeness to system defense patrol routes. When you arrive, and after Neil has managed to contact Harold through the spaceport's docking comm workers, your ship is directed to Docking Bay 867 which you are reminded is under direct Customs control repeatedly to ensure your compliance with their dozens of protocol. Docking Bay 867 turns out to be a massive grey box on the underside of spaceport that is open to the void, under the direction of the port' control tower crew Amelia pilots the ship into the bay and gently sets it down before docking clamps fall down to lock the ship in place. Moments later sirens start to go off in the bay, a show of lights without sound in the current vacuum, before the blast doors begin to seal the bay shut behind your ship.

The whole process takes almost half an hour, but in the end all of you find yourselves stepping out in the now pressurized docking bay to meet with Harold, a rather portly man wearing a set of glossy black body armor that seems like it is nearly one size too small for him. When the man see's Neil stepping out of the ship a grin breaks out on his face, and he quickly puts away the pistol he'd had out previously,

"Good to see that you took me up on my offer Neil, with this compartment going through my section I should be seeing a favorable turn from the higher ups, and maybe they'll finally give me that damn promotion I've been putting in for for the past six years! You guys are free to leave your ship docked here for the next week, and can have the bay's unloading crew offload any cargo you might want to sell off from your work.

Anyway, gotta say Neil that I wasn't expecting for this to be the crew you ended up running with though them Corps always have their methods in setting up crews. How's life been treating you since your leave from the department?

As he asks the question he hands over a small bag to Neil which upon inspection contains one thousand credits as promised. Behind you all you can see a crane moving over to pick out the armory compartment from the currently opened cargo bay.

Spoiler: Dio Costanzo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Loose Items (click to show/hide)

GM Note: I have updated the ship description in the OP to include the current cargo bay items, and the changes made such as the brig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »

Begin work on an exoskeleton
Begin work on some basic armour panels to attach to it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2016, 03:40:27 pm »

"This money seems so... virtual." Dio muses.

Look for some records of a nearby system. Maybe a warzone? We could grab some loot while it's hot.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2016, 08:31:11 am »

"Don't take this the wrong way Harold, but I don't especially feel like talking about how anything's been treating me just yet... maybe some other time late in the evening after more than one drink, eh? As for the Corps, I guess beggars can't be choosers and all that. Could make it turn out pretty well for me and the crew though, so we'll see. You let me know if there's ever anything else we can help with, yes?"

Get in touch with our employer to report. Once that's done, locate a scrap broker of some sort and charm them into the best possible price for all of our salvage less what the team think they may be able to use. Which may be all of it.

What do I know about purchasing weapons here? Am I able to buy something for personal defence and how much can I get for 1000 credits?

And since I'd prefer to use that money for the team - how easy is it to get hold of spacecraft upgrades e.g. armament, and how much is that?

@Gigla - do you want to keep all the scrap and basic metal for... stuff? What about the hull plating? That could be worth 10,000+ credits but then I don't know how much that is worth ;)

@all - do you want us to wait before reporting back to Macnameer? Anything particularly urgent that we coul ddo with our earnings?

errr edit or do we go through Neal? Oh wait and I just reread the post and we have to sell via Macnameer too? So those armour plates won't be worth too much. Keep and spend a month welding, or sell, crew?

edit 2 generally, I thought that, unless Dio finds a nice warzone nearby, we could do the low priority hopefully not dangerous mission, spend what we can on improving the ship whilst I+volunteers who aren't so handy at welding drink with some cops and maybe find out something useful/make another contact, and THEN go and do the dangerous pirate mission.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:40:29 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2016, 08:56:26 am »

Provide my report to Melinda in a timely manner. Perhaps chat her up a bit while I'm at it. Ask how she's doing.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2016, 10:23:14 am »

TK goes to a firing range during the downtime to practice with his new pistol, focusing mainly on close-range shooting if possible - in five-foot increments from point-blank range to about fifty feet or so.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2016, 02:44:48 pm »

Get in touch with our employer to report. Once that's done, locate a scrap broker of some sort and charm them into the best possible price for all of our salvage less what the team think they may be able to use. Which may be all of it.

What do I know about purchasing weapons here? Am I able to buy something for personal defence and how much can I get for 1000 credits?

And since I'd prefer to use that money for the team - how easy is it to get hold of spacecraft upgrades e.g. armament, and how much is that?

@Gigla - do you want to keep all the scrap and basic metal for... stuff? What about the hull plating? That could be worth 10,000+ credits but then I don't know how much that is worth ;)

@all - do you want us to wait before reporting back to Macnameer? Anything particularly urgent that we coul ddo with our earnings?

errr edit or do we go through Neal? Oh wait and I just reread the post and we have to sell via Macnameer too? So those armour plates won't be worth too much. Keep and spend a month welding, or sell, crew?

edit 2 generally, I thought that, unless Dio finds a nice warzone nearby, we could do the low priority hopefully not dangerous mission, spend what we can on improving the ship whilst I+volunteers who aren't so handy at welding drink with some cops and maybe find out something useful/make another contact, and THEN go and do the dangerous pirate mission.

Hmm.
I think we might as well sell the hull plates... we wouldn't be doing anything with them for a while, and I imagine we can always salvage more.
We can keep the scrap, etc, for now - if we get too much, yeah, we can sell it off, but that'll do for tinkering atm.

Rather than buying personal weapons, etc, I think we need ammo for the ship. we have single magazines for all of our weapons - we want more cannon shells, CIWS rounds. On the man portable front some more shotgun shells wouldn't hurt, I don't think, but it's not essential. All of us have a gun, at least.

It might not be amiss to buy another weapon for the ship, actually, since we have a slot free. I don't know how much that might be, though.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »

Aid this guy. Begin working alongside him to hasten process. Communicate with small-talk slowly progressing into bigger-yet-not-that-major talk. Inquire how he initiates repairs.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2016, 10:04:28 am »

Okay so let's sell the hull plates and find ourselves a spaceship arms dealer shop and browse.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2016, 02:42:27 pm »

"Don't take this the wrong way Harold, but I don't especially feel like talking about how anything's been treating me just yet... maybe some other time late in the evening after more than one drink, eh? As for the Corps, I guess beggars can't be choosers and all that. Could make it turn out pretty well for me and the crew though, so we'll see. You let me know if there's ever anything else we can help with, yes?"

"Well its understandable Neil, and as for the drink that is certainly a situation that can be arranged. There are usually a couple of us docking overseers from Customs who go to one of the station's bars after out shift is over, its called the Crimson Comet, a bad name for a dive sure, but its ran by an old Customs officer. We're supposed to meet for drinks this afternoon at 22:00 if you're interested, your companions are also welcome of course, but keep in mind its a cop bar. Anyway if I here about anymore work opportunities from the higher ups I'll see if I can't get them sent your way, see you later Neil."

After Harold leaves with a handful of the dock workers you turn to Neal, and ask him to check the price Macnameer is willing to buy the hull plates at since you're supposed to sell your salvage through them though if you want to look for alternate buyers you'll need some time away from him ...

In terms of weapons you, and all the other crew members, have a Class I Weapons License which allow you the right to lawfully own certain weapons for personal defense purposes due to your potentially dangerous line of work. Most Class I weapons are low caliber single fire pistols, or rifles with the Regalian you have being one of the heaviest things you can buy within the class considering it doesn't allow anything fully automatic, armor penetrating, or explosive. If you want the truly heavy weapons you'll need to purchase a Class II license from a GS Registry for about six thousand credits which is made even worse by the fact that all ship based weaponry are considered Class II or higher ...

Once you have a Class II license you can legally purchase some ship-based weaponry, and your status as a salvage vessel for a Corporation allows the current weapons to be legal thankfully otherwise this visit would have went with most of you being jailed. Aside from weapons you all might eventually want to look into purchasing warp, and jump drives though those run tens of thousands of credits if not hundreds of thousands.

Provide my report to Melinda in a timely manner. Perhaps chat her up a bit while I'm at it. Ask how she's doing.
Once Neil finishes up with his contact and you're assured that Customs has been notified of the retrieved armory you quickly head back inside to use your transceiver to contact the Corporation. You spend about a minute listen to the line beep as the call is routed through what you can only assume are seven secretaries before Melinda finally answers in a fairly mild tone, an uncommon occurrence from your past experience,

"It seems like your group is doing fairly good on their first job Neal, we just got a message from Customs reporting the armory was returned sealed and unharmed which led to some rather enthusiastic thanks from one of the Customs Chiefs. For a first job your crew has done well and remuneration has already been sent to a collective account for you all to decide how to distribute it, the security code for the account is currently set as your personal confirmation code for the company. With just this job done you can't let the crew get to settled Neal, the other two missions are still open offers in case they feel like taking one of them up, and there is more than enough freelance salvage available though you'll need to remind them all non-contract sales are to go through us."

After a short pause you ask her about Macnameer's current purchase price for duranium hull plates which turns out worse than you had hoped ...

"With current market prices, and the situation of the company we'll only pay three hundred and fifty credits per plate on that. Any other questions Neal, or shall we conclude your first report as successful?"

"This money seems so... virtual." Dio muses.

Look for some records of a nearby system. Maybe a warzone? We could grab some loot while it's hot.

While the others deal with their own projects, or offloading the ship's cargo you decide to take the chance to browse the planet's net since being in the station finally gives you a connection to it. You start searching for anything that might turn up some valuable salvage in this system, and adjacent ones.

Near Calmar
You find several interesting articles, or posts based about possible wreckage in this system. The first one is report from a freighter worker made on some forum supposedly made to help freighters identify potentially dangerous routes that talks about discovering the wreckage of several ships near Palicard-9X7, the fourth planet in the system that's about two days out from Calmar. Secondly you find what is apparently a repeat of the info you found on the Settler ships that had been attacked by pirates recently, the only thing it seems to expand upon is that the group that committed it was likely some group known as the Calmar Freedom Movement. Finally you find some reports about incidents somewhere in the system's asteroid belt where freighters were attacked by a ship wreckage embedded into an asteroid that seemed to be using laser weaponry.

Out of the system
Somewhere near the Black Martyr System (where Calmar is located) is apparently a wartorn system known as the Grey Rocks that is made up of countless asteroids orbiting a dwarf star that is currently being fought over by the UM, several independent space corps, and a group of asteroid miners who have banded together calling themselves the Grey Rock Union. If you could actually get there the system is liable to have countless wrecks to salvage, but with how many groups are fighting over it the chances are you'd run into a lot of danger.

TK goes to a firing range during the downtime to practice with his new pistol, focusing mainly on close-range shooting if possible - in five-foot increments from point-blank range to about fifty feet or so.

If you do go to a firing range you have at most eleven rounds of ammunition to fire, while it does count as some training you aren't sure if it'll be all that useful after only shots.

Aid this guy. Begin working alongside him to hasten process. Communicate with small-talk slowly progressing into bigger-yet-not-that-major talk. Inquire how he initiates repairs.

As Trent sets up to begin work on his exoskeleton frame Amelia comes over offering her assistance with the progress, and asks how Trent carries out his repairs on machinery and the like. The two of them spend about an hour trying to get something usable finished while Trent imparts some of his knowledge to Amelia, and even though the tutelage goes well in the end you managed to waste two units of scrap metal while attempting to make the frame.

End of First Assignment Report
Skill Points Earned: 1d4 = 4 Skill Points Earned!
Credits Earned: 15,000

Instead of obtaining experience, or leveling up your party will obtain a random amount of Skill Points after major acts and missions that can be distributed into skills that you're already in the progress of learning to speed up how quickly you obtain them as well as to increase the rank of existing skills. Spend them wisely, or however you want really since I just want everyone to have fun :v

Spoiler: Crew Account (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dio Costanzo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Loose Items (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:35:17 pm by adwarf »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2016, 03:46:59 pm »

(I've never been to a firing range before, so I just assumed they would have spare ammo for use as part of an entry fee or something.)

Find an ammunition shop then, check the prices.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2016, 04:04:43 pm »

(I've never been to a firing range before, so I just assumed they would have spare ammo for use as part of an entry fee or something.)
Generally they don't, but that just might be a deal in my area and a result of ammunition being increasingly expensive in the area. Either way look on the bright side, the ammo is cheapish (probably)!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2016, 06:28:16 pm »

Generally they don't, but that just might be a deal in my area and a result of ammunition being increasingly expensive in the area. Either way look on the bright side, the ammo is cheapish (probably)!

((Ammunition is expensive. I've never heard of a place with free ammo.))

"Look on the bright side: Where I am from you had to use whatever's stilling around as bullets, and load the powder yourself. Horrible times, those were."

Dio scrutinizes his watch.

"That hostile asteroid wreckage sounds like it could be neutralized rather easily. Maybe if we put thrusters on another asteroid..."

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:35:53 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2016, 12:58:24 am »

((((Are the skill points individually allocated and do we each have an individual pool of them? :P I get that that's most likely not the case, but I'm thrown off by the wording [most likely due to stress/fatigue x_x]

Also I think Trent is a He. :P Tiny typo adwarf? Unless I'm mistaken))

"You should teach me one day, T!" Amelia said as she spun her welding mechanism in her glove. "It seems just like repairing an aircraft. "

Continue Exoskeleton project!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21