Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dungeon Fortress (Community Game) [42.04] (Players needed!)  (Read 5293 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Fortress (Community Game) [42.04] (Players needed!)
« on: November 29, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »

Don't know if this has been done before but here goes...

The premise of this community game is pretty simple: create the greatest dungeon the world has ever seen, fill it with the greatest treasures the world has ever seen, populate it with the most vile creatures the world has ever (or never) seen. Then try to conquer it, and become (hopefully) the greatest adventurer the world has ever seen.

Rules for Dungeon Keepers

• Each player has 1 week (real life time) to build his dungeon (or 3 days to conquer it as an adventurer)
  • After the first player, each subsequent player may either:
    • Reclaim any previously retired player dungeon
    • Start a new dungeon
    • Attempt to conquer a dungeon in Adventure mode
  • Each dungeon must have a minimum of three things:
    • Some great treasure
    • Some great obstacle (elaborate trap, dragon etc.)
    • Some way to reach the first and defeat the second (i.e make it as hard as you like, just don't make it impossible in the context of the game mechanics)
  • If the dungeon does not have these three things by time the player's time is up, the next player must continue that save file. If you finish early, you may start a new dungeon.
  • You may not stack traps (i.e 10 steel giant axes in one trap tile)
  • You may not use cage traps (except to capture creatures for your dungeon)
  • All artifacts must go in the dungeon
  • Dungeons must have entrances separate from the living quarters of its keepers (though they may be connected somewhere)
  • Your dungeon's details are top secret so enclose them with spoiler tags (everything else can be written as normal)

Rules for Adventurers

• You get one life
  • You must chronicle your exploits
  • You may attempt a dungeon any number of times until all its main treasure has been taken (subsequent dungeon keepers may refill the hoard however, in which case the dungeon is open for business again)
  • Every one in the dungeon is an enemy, even if the game says otherwise
  • You may play as any race (kobold anyone?)
  • You may un-retire an old adventurer for one more treasure hunt (whip and stylish hat not required)

Rules for Points

To keep things interesting I've decided to add a point system to track peoples scores (both dungeon keeper and adventurer alike)

Dungeon Keeper

• 10 points for every adventurer your dungeon claims (goes to all players who contributed to the dungeon)
  • 5 points for every vile creature you dungeon contains
  • 5 points for every great treasure your dungeon protects
  • 5 points for every elaborate trap (i.e takes up a whole floor) your dungeon has
  • Bonus 5 points for a dungeon that inspires awe and wonder (determined by a poll)

Adventurer

• 20 points to start with
  • -5 points if "Hero"
  • -10 points if "Demigod"
  • 20 points for every great treasure retrieved
  • 20 points for every vile creature slain
  • -10 points if you "bulk up" (i.e power level your skills)
  • 2 points if your main weapon is a whip
  • 2 points if you're any race other than the main ones (Dwarf, Human, Elf)
  • 50 points for being the first to clear an awe-inspiring dungeon

Spoiler:  Todielathu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dungeon Keepers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adventurers (click to show/hide)

Turns

*(A) = Adventurer, (D) = Dungeon Keeper

1. Sanctume (D)
2. Tonnot98 (A)
3. Urlance Woolsbane (D)
4. Gwolfski (D)
5. TheImmortalRyukan (D)
6. Daniel the Finlander (A)
7. Rupdeus (A)

World file can be gotten here
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:48:19 pm by bahihs »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Fortress (Community Game)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »

This sounds cool. Sign me up as a Dungeon Keeper!

Just two things...

Can former Dungeon Keepers play as Adventurers, and vice-versa.
The new version is coming out on Monday or Tuesday. Do you want to wait for it?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:04 pm »

This sounds cool. Sign me up as a Dungeon Keeper!

Just two things...

Can former Dungeon Keepers play as Adventurers, and vice-versa.
The new version is coming out on Monday or Tuesday. Do you want to wait for it?

Wow this week? Hmm, in that case lets wait till it comes out. I'll whip up a new world if necessary, and the new tavern feature should fit right in with the premise of the game.

And, of course, former dungeon keepers can play as adventurers, just so long as they don't adventure in their own dungeon (that wouldn't really be fair) (and vice-versa).

And I've added you to the list, you're up first!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:53:23 pm by bahihs »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 05:10:10 pm »

dungeon keeper pls.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 11:33:16 pm »

This looks like it could be interesting, sign me up as a dungeon keeper.
And question- I find it would be quite a "impossible" challenge to build a full dungeon within just one in-game year, couldn't you make a larger time period, or use real time. As in you have 3 Days to build you fortress.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:51:37 pm »

This looks like it could be interesting, sign me up as a dungeon keeper.
And question- I find it would be quite a "impossible" challenge to build a full dungeon within just one in-game year, couldn't you make a larger time period, or use real time. As in you have 3 Days to build you fortress.

Hmm, you make a good point. However I did include the option to continue someone else's dungeon. In any case, maybe IRL time is better. 3 days sounds pretty good (and it should keep the roster moving nicely as well).

And I've added you to the list.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 02:52:07 am »

I'm interested in making a dungeon. 

I gen the worldmap to test, and I found a nice 3x3 spot with 4 grassland, 4 dessert w/ aquifer, and 1 terrifying mountain tile.

It's metal starve though, and I need to see how far I get in 1 year.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:57 am »

I'm interested in making a dungeon. 

I gen the worldmap to test, and I found a nice 3x3 spot with 4 grassland, 4 dessert w/ aquifer, and 1 terrifying mountain tile.

It's metal starve though, and I need to see how far I get in 1 year.

Actually I've changed it so that each person has 3 real life days. Also the worldmap is tentative, since, if the new version is not save compatible I'll have to make a new world.

And I've added you to the list!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 10:41:23 am »

3 DAYS??!?!?! At least a week...

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:46:36 am »

Hmm, you make a good point. However I did include the option to continue someone else's dungeon. In any case, maybe IRL time is better. 3 days sounds pretty good (and it should keep the roster moving nicely as well).

And I've added you to the list.

Thanks, this will be intersting, me doing two Bloodline games at once :)

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 12:29:24 pm »

3 Days?  I think I spent 2 hours alone before embarking planning what my first 7 will be.

1-year game time will not be enough to get magma into play for a dungeon. 

And there is also a chance for invaders to auto win a retired fort when a new dungeon site is create elsewhere in the map.

I think a strict 1 week real time may go well as long as there is a player waiting for their turn. 

Anyway, since my worldgen is just a test, I am not wondering how far I can go using fast dwarf to dig fast the layout, then I can focus on making traps and such. 

The issue will be obtaining a "great artifact".  I did spend time looking at Dwarf Therapist for item likes of each individual dwarves. 

For example, someone who likes War Hammer are given weaponsmithing, and I plan to give them their own forge and make weapons in hope that their highest moodable skills will make artifact war hammer. 

I've also played in the past to make specific stockpiles (platinum or gold) next to a forge and when someone goes into a mood, the game pauses in which time I forbid other forges except the one with the special stockpile.  But that's just extra micro-management and takes luck that a dwarf has weapon likes gets a mood.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »

3 Days?  I think I spent 2 hours alone before embarking planning what my first 7 will be.

And there is also a chance for invaders to auto win a retired fort when a new dungeon site is create elsewhere in the map.

I think a strict 1 week real time may go well as long as there is a player waiting for their turn. 

Anyway, since my worldgen is just a test, I am not wondering how far I can go using fast dwarf to dig fast the layout, then I can focus on making traps and such. 

The issue will be obtaining a "great artifact".  I did spend time looking at Dwarf Therapist for item likes of each individual dwarves. 

For example, someone who likes War Hammer are given weaponsmithing, and I plan to give them their own forge and make weapons in hope that their highest moodable skills will make artifact war hammer. 

I've also played in the past to make specific stockpiles (platinum or gold) next to a forge and when someone goes into a mood, the game pauses in which time I forbid other forges except the one with the special stockpile.  But that's just extra micro-management and takes luck that a dwarf has weapon likes gets a mood.

you can force moods...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:21:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you can force moods...

True, so a DFhack-enhanced fort with 1 artifact can be viable for a 1-year game time.  How much df-hacking will there be though?
I mean fast dwarf will help speed up digging, and smoothing.

What about just putting 1 tile magma for some trap--will that be acceptable, or will I need to use magma filled minecart and micro dump to fill a pit up to 6/7 magma?

Zero use of dfhack for those would be more acceptable for a community game; but at the same time, the time allotted to make a great Dungeon Keep will take more than one turn most likely, and many more turns to obtain great artifact for adventurers.

One possible dfhack-less scenario is to increase the starting embark points from worldgen parameter. 
It will not hurt to give +5 skills to the founders. 
It will not hurt to embark with food and drink for 1 year that can support 100 dwarves.
Embark with metal bars and coal and one can dedicate to training weapons or armor from day 1 to focus on making at least masterwork level "great" armor/weapons.

It would be interesting in the next version where people can wear jewelry, so artifact crafts would be a great enough reward for adventurers to come to the DKeep.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you can force moods...

True, so a DFhack-enhanced fort with 1 artifact can be viable for a 1-year game time.  How much df-hacking will there be though?
I mean fast dwarf will help speed up digging, and smoothing.

What about just putting 1 tile magma for some trap--will that be acceptable, or will I need to use magma filled minecart and micro dump to fill a pit up to 6/7 magma?

Zero use of dfhack for those would be more acceptable for a community game; but at the same time, the time allotted to make a great Dungeon Keep will take more than one turn most likely, and many more turns to obtain great artifact for adventurers.

One possible dfhack-less scenario is to increase the starting embark points from worldgen parameter. 
It will not hurt to give +5 skills to the founders. 
It will not hurt to embark with food and drink for 1 year that can support 100 dwarves.
Embark with metal bars and coal and one can dedicate to training weapons or armor from day 1 to focus on making at least masterwork level "great" armor/weapons.

It would be interesting in the next version where people can wear jewelry, so artifact crafts would be a great enough reward for adventurers to come to the DKeep.

I think dfhack would be nice, but when will it be available for the new version of the game? and when you go adventuring, what is to stop you from "Adamantine this" "Adamantine that"?

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:27:00 pm »

Couple things:

1. I changed the turn-time to one week irl, adventurers get 3 days.
2. Don't get too attached to this particular world since I may generate a new one once the new version comes out and the game formally begins
3. DF-hacking and using other tools is fine if its available/compatible. If not, you'll have to go without it. I'm actually thinking of changing the rules a little so that, until all the requirements of the dungeon are fulfilled, the next player must take over the previous fortress (i.e continue from the previous save file). Then once the three requirements are done, you may create a new fortress. I think this will relieve the pressure of having to build a complete dungeon from scratch every time.
4. Your concerns regarding the auto-sacking of dungeons after retirement was not something I initially considered, but maybe this issue will be fixed in the coming release. If not, we'll just have to roll the die and hope it doesn't happen. In any case, unfinished dungeons won't have to worry about this issue (see 3)
5. If you can explain it in terms of story/lore (and without stretching things too much) then that "hack" is fine, if not, its not allowed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4