Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flaming/freezing swords?  (Read 749 times)

lore

• Bay Watcher
  • A gamer has grown attached to a small laptop!
    • View Profile
flaming/freezing swords?
« on: November 29, 2015, 04:15:08 pm »

When trying to mod burning hot swords I found that changing the MAT_FIXED_TEMP of metals appears not to affect their performance as weapons in any way. Am i doing this wrong, or is it just a property of weapons? Alternatively, is their a way to give a metal the actual properties of fire (literal swords made of fire)?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lore lets out a burst of laughter, squeaky and awkward!

neko.len.chan

• Bay Watcher
  • Nya
    • View Profile
Re: flaming/freezing swords?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:01:09 pm »

weapon physics really doesnt allow burning people to death as far as im aware. If you want heat-based attacks you'll probably have to come at it from a different angle.
"When you wake in the morning, consider suicide."
BY ARMOK WHO KEEPS LEAVING CORPSES IN ALL THE FRIGGIN DOORWAYS?!?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: flaming/freezing swords?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:32:36 am »

If you make a material with a low fixed temperature, an ignite point below this fixed temperature, and a heatdam point above it, it will be permanently on fire and will give off smoke but the fire will not damage anything.  I think dwarves will refuse to pick it up, but an adventurer could wield it with no penalties (except for it being hard to see through the smoke).  This isn't useful, but it is cool.

If you want to burn people, you'll need to make a custom creature.  An attack that spatters magma on impact makes short work of most enemies.