Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: so we'll go ahead with that release in a few days!  (Read 6886 times)

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: so we'll go ahead with that release in a few days!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 07:51:55 am »

Pretty excited for this one! I wonder what the emergent changes will be for fortress mode?

I'm hoping either this release or subsequent rounds of bug fixing will address invader frequency and pathing problems!

40.X fortresses get old pretty fast from lack of invaders, or gluts of undead that can't find their way into the fort.
Invader frequency, in as far as addressing the pathfinding bug, has been addressed. You can also play with invader numbers in the .init file now.

That won't address the problems of goblins just deciding to attack someone else instead of you, so it may still be too infrequent for a lot of people. Especially if the standard invasion population cap, which a lot of people complaining don't seem to know about, remains at 80.

edit - I guess the problem is not 'how to add lots more sieges', that's pretty simple - produce them out of thin air like in previous versions, but more like 'how to make existing goblins want to attack the player fortress multiple times a year as opposed to any of the other, much easier to attack targets'. From a goblins point of view it makes no sense at all to attack a player fortress.

And, much as it's difficult to accept for those who love their endless repetitive sieging, that's not likely to be addressed until at least the starting scenarios arc.

Still, now that the pathing bug is fixed hopefully all you have to do for a Fun embark is park yourself near some goblins. Oh, and lower the population trigger, because almost everyone's militia is near legendary by the time a fortress reaches population 80. Other than that I'm pretty sure tougher goblins are well within a modders range.

Personally I'm not really fond of "checking an box" options in order to make things happen ingame , if possible it should be left at a minimum where things like "crafing specific artifacts" or digging up something from the underground, could trigger massive invasions constantly from Goblins or other creatures who really wants what you have got. Then it should really be up to the player if he "wants to hold the fort" or dump the attrocius mask of horny Goblins outside the fortress walls. And before picking up suchs things you should get an "warning" about what you are about to do.

Of course , this type og game style might not be for everyone and could probably be put in a box as well that can be checked in options he he.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:07 am »

And I think that's too gamey. Less gobbos is more realistic.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 08:32:16 am »

Future of the Fortress is locked. It's happening!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:27:53 am »

Future of the Fortress is locked. It's happening!

Is it sad this is the first image I think of when I see the words "It's happening" in any context?

In any case, I hope this release doesn't screw with mods too much, I was making a project and was nearly done with it as well - was gonna ask on Future of the Fortress but it's locked.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 10:02:24 am »

Why exactly is Future of the Fortress locked? Does that happen for every big release?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 10:17:45 am »

Why exactly is Future of the Fortress locked? Does that happen for every big release?

Yes.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 11:25:27 am »

I should have waited to check. I will be checking my phone excessively now until I leave work.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnng.

So close. So near. Yet so far away.

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »

I seriously can't believe it's here already. Just in time for finals.
Best of luck to the modders & utility devs during the initial release scramble.

Ron Paul for expedition leader 2016
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I feel safe knowing that somebody has a "happening" bunker.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 02:50:59 pm »

I think more specifically it happens when the development page gets a rework. Toady's been talking about that recently; I'm assuming the Non-Player Artifacts section is gonna get more fleshed out since that was planned to be the next arc and it's a little stubby at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:55:10 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 02:52:12 pm »

I feel EXCITED knowing that IT'S HAPPENING! IT'S HAPPENING! TEN MINUTES HERE WE GO

Edit: what? I changed that already...?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:54:42 pm by jwoodward48df »
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »

ITS HERE
Sigtext!

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 02:59:53 pm »

Downloaded. Now to suddenly fall deathly ill at work!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 03:00:04 pm »

ANGELS SANG OUT IN IMMACULATE CHORUS
DOWN FROM THE HEAVENS DESCENDED DWARF FORTRESS
AND WITH AXES OF IRON AND SWORDS MADE OF ROCKS
BEFORE LONG, THE DWARVES ALL WORE ANGEL-HIDE SOCKS
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 03:01:09 pm »

I HAVE IT I HAVE IT

IM UNZIPPING IT NOW

PRAY FOR ME FOR I DO NOT HOW TO ASCII
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4