Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Politics and goblins  (Read 1908 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Politics and goblins
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »

So, I play fortress  mode.  I made a new world, and goblins apparently rule everything.  When the last "force of vile darkness" arrived, they were all elves.  My liasons with the dwarf kingdom are always goblins.  My nobility are goblins too.

So, I read a little about adventurer mode, and fired up a demigod dwarf.  I wandered around inside the city I started in until I found the ruler, and then I beheaded him.  Actually, I beheaded his wife first, then him.  And then I started to kill all the other goblins I could find.  No one tried to stop me.  At best, the would dodge away from me.  I left all the dwarves alone, and only killed goblins.

But after a whlie, I stopped finding living goblins to kill.  As I explored new areas of the city, I'd find dead goblins laying on the floor.  Someone else started killing them for me.

Is that normal?  Might I have saved my kingdom from it's short green oppressors?

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Politics and goblins
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:02:13 pm »

Sounds like you stumbled in on a political revolt. I imagine that things were revving up just before you first entered fortress mode, thus pausing the conflict in your civilization for the time being under your control, only to fall back into turmoil the moment you, um...figuratively "turned your back."

Of course, I could be wrong. It happens from time to time.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:46:56 pm »

In my current world, literally all administrators are goblins. Well... were. Needless to say. Beating every goblin leader to a pulp and then claiming the site for my own has become my hobby; the interesting part though, is the fact that all of them ran on sight (except the town leader, which was an elite marksman, but my armor just deflected his bolts, so...) I'm playing as a dwarf, and most of these gobbos ruled dwarven hamlets, which is interesting.
Dabbling Overseer

Tlukle

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't you think my name is odd?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 05:46:03 pm »

So, I play fortress  mode.  I made a new world, and goblins apparently rule everything.  When the last "force of vile darkness" arrived, they were all elves.  My liasons with the dwarf kingdom are always goblins.  My nobility are goblins too.

So, I read a little about adventurer mode, and fired up a demigod dwarf.  I wandered around inside the city I started in until I found the ruler, and then I beheaded him.  Actually, I beheaded his wife first, then him.  And then I started to kill all the other goblins I could find.  No one tried to stop me.  At best, the would dodge away from me.  I left all the dwarves alone, and only killed goblins.

But after a whlie, I stopped finding living goblins to kill.  As I explored new areas of the city, I'd find dead goblins laying on the floor.  Someone else started killing them for me.

Is that normal?  Might I have saved my kingdom from it's short green oppressors?
Honestly on the dead goblins part no goblins are evil and to them murder is an excellent hobby and they are always evil even in other civis they will turn on their friends easily this makes them in general excellent killers or they would be if
1. Heros weren't awesome and
2. They weren't cowards
Alone on a hill I sat and thought oh what ever today might become not.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:16:02 am »

Goblins are actually taller than Dwarves by quite a bit in DF.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:53:47 am »

goblins seem to come with an unhinge trait now so AI will more likely murder them or treat goblins standing around as acts of instant violence.
though usually the populace hates gobbos for past acts of violence on fellow peasants.

this is after the elf chased the guy then started caving the goblins head in on Arrival.

This kinda makes goblins the 40.24 megabeasts where if you play as them nothing you do is going to revert that unhinge racial trait and everyone just auto hates you.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 02:53:54 pm »

Honestly on the dead goblins part no goblins are evil and to them murder is an excellent hobby and they are always evil even in other civis they will turn on their friends easily this makes them in general excellent killers or they would be if
1. Heros weren't awesome and
2. They weren't cowards

Have you heard of this wonderful innovation? It lets people understand what you say! It's called punctuation.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 06:57:10 pm »

In my world, alot of settlements, dwarf and elf, have been under human occupation, in the same way as goblins are described here.
Maybe this is what wars or conquests look like now?