Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm trying to write a DF/GoT crossover story.  (Read 1516 times)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm trying to write a DF/GoT crossover story.
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:16:38 pm »

I dunno if or when I'll finish this, but it's a fun project. Basically, the mountainhome is moved to the Stark lands using a portal found in a deep cavern, and the dwarves make peace with the Starks and swear fealty. They are lead by a minotaur who is the son of a lady minotaur who fooled the dwarves into believing she was a living goddess, a la Byed Beautyfoolish from Castlemarkets. He wears a set of artifact armour with an artifact bronze shield and greatsword, all forged from the corpse of the bronze colossus who killed his mother. He takes this as a sign of Armok's blessing.

The dwarves become integrated into Stark life to a certain extent, and they become well liked. Then, the events in the books begin. Ned Stark, despite the legendary dwarves in his guard, is captured and executed. The dwarves hold a private ceremony in which it rains blood, proving to them that Armok wants vengence. They call their banners - the forts of their civilisation - to war. They march south with the Stark army, and smash anything in their way.

So, what I want to know is - any suggestions? Any ideas for interactions, battles, characters?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm trying to write a DF/GoT crossover story.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 01:33:14 pm »

Why stop with just 1 fortress? 

Get a perfect world-gen of Westeros in one continent and another continent on the east. 

Then start / retire fortresses in different areas of the map. 

Castle black on the north where you can do a mega project of building 7z high ice walls that connects from west to east.  A men only embark, with females all burrowed in Mole town. 

You can even change the raws to allow human embarks.

I'd probably not end up playing a fort and just read legends of different seeds if the world-gen terrain is close to GoT world.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:42:50 pm »

Dwarves in the Night's Watch.

Tyrion Lannister is bros with the King Beneath the Mountain.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »

The Children of the Forest is the result of Dwarf-Elf love child.

Sunspear is dominated by spear wielding females. 

The Dothraki sea of grass works with the current bug over population of horses.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 03:07:10 pm »

Why stop with just 1 fortress? 

Get a perfect world-gen of Westeros in one continent and another continent on the east. 

Then start / retire fortresses in different areas of the map. 

Castle black on the north where you can do a mega project of building 7z high ice walls that connects from west to east.  A men only embark, with females all burrowed in Mole town. 

You can even change the raws to allow human embarks.

I'd probably not end up playing a fort and just read legends of different seeds if the world-gen terrain is close to GoT world.
I mean, I could, but I am trying to write a story, not play the game.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 03:33:09 am »

Here's a link to a WorldGen setting for Westeros: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16544039/Westeros.txt

Just copy/paste that text into the data/init/world_gen.txt file (using the "Medium World" values), and you should be able to start up a GoT world.

In fact, I think I'll check that out myself... Seems like it's only the continent to the East of the Narrow Sea.

Looking forward to reading your story.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:55:28 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 03:41:05 am »

Hmm. It entirely depends on how you're interpreting the dwarves - are they relatively normally portrayed or are they the ridiculous insane occasional demon-ripping drunken bastards that happen in some forts, with the ability to build an entire wall in less than a day, mine with the speed of lightning, etc. Hard to say beyond that.

Oh, necromancers. Vampires. Werebeasts. Those'd fuck with most everything in Westeros, I'd think.
Maybe have an adventurer pop up.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:05:48 am »

Dwarves in the Night's Watch.

Tyrion Lannister is bros with the King Beneath the Mountain.
Night Watch dwarves for sure - in fact, several tantrumers are sent there as punishment. Surprisingly, they actually quite like it.

Here's a link to a WorldGen setting for Westeros: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16544039/Westeros.txt

Just copy/paste that text into the data/init/world_gen.txt file (using the "Medium World" values), and you should be able to start up a GoT world.

In fact, I think I'll check that out myself... Seems like it's only the continent to the East of the Narrow Sea.

Looking forward to reading your story.

I'll check that out. In case there is any confusion though, I'm not actually trying to make a playthrough (though I ought to), I'm actually trying to write a fanfiction.

Hmm. It entirely depends on how you're interpreting the dwarves - are they relatively normally portrayed or are they the ridiculous insane occasional demon-ripping drunken bastards that happen in some forts, with the ability to build an entire wall in less than a day, mine with the speed of lightning, etc. Hard to say beyond that.

Oh, necromancers. Vampires. Werebeasts. Those'd fuck with most everything in Westeros, I'd think.
Maybe have an adventurer pop up.
I'm going for a mix in between - dwarves coher to reality a bit more, but they are still hugely strong for their size and the fortress champion has no skin or nerves due to an encounter with a forgotten beast. Like an even more terrifying Sandor Clegane.

I am planning for them to have a caged werebuffalo.