Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.01 Released  (Read 60117 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.01 Released
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 09:03:18 pm »

Look at it this way - I don't doubt you'll have the oldest world in the new version by the end of it. You'll go down in the histories! :P
It got about three bars into saving before it crashed. :(

Edit: Ah well, I created a new world with a much shorter history.
It seems pretty cool so far, looking through legends... I have a rather successful dark fortress called Kisspoisons, where 'The Sinful Celebration' is held every autumn and seems to become a more extravagant event each year. I definitely need to visit this place, and their tavern, The Buttery Syrup.

Editedit: Apparently their other tavern is called 'The Harvests of Cake'.
I like how their tavern names are so sweet and harmless (unless you're diabetic) in this place, unlike the names of their forts and people. Perhaps it's a ruse to lure more foreigners in? I'm sure there are a lot of barfights and stabbings in a goblin bar.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:23:53 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 11:54:38 pm »

New release has arrived.
Bug-hunting season has started.
Merry hunting!
Yaaaay!
Steam just gave me the gift of letting me know this was updated; I didn't know that it HAD that functionality. :P Which is pretty darn cool.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:46 am »

Steam just gave me the gift of letting me know this was updated; I didn't know that it HAD that functionality. :P Which is pretty darn cool.

Wait, what?  How?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 07:04:35 am »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 07:29:02 am »

Wait, what?  How?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 11:43:27 am »

The only bad thing I've noticed about the update is this: bogeymen are still enabled by default. Ugh. ::)
Guess I'll have to gen yet another world, then...

Edit: Ack, how do you disable them properly, again? I don't fancy having to use advanced world creation every time I gen a world.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:51:42 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 12:23:09 pm »

A beautiful update! No crashes yet and a temple, inn and a library up and running.
It's really amazing with the new features, DF gets more and more "real".

Thanks for keeping up this amazing work!!!!
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 12:41:40 pm »

The only bad thing I've noticed about the update is this: bogeymen are still enabled by default. Ugh. ::)

Edit: Ack, how do you disable them properly, again? I don't fancy having to use advanced world creation every time I gen a world.

Have you considered removing the entry for them from the raws?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 12:53:56 pm »

That's the thing, I can't remember where they are in the raws. I'll probably have a more thorough look later.
Booze is Life for Yoink

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 01:30:25 pm »

Ugh.  OK.  It looks like I'm going to have to wait for .02 because I can't get a single world to gen.  I tried a dozen+ times, and it always hangs while placing civs.  I've tried medium and small worlds, simple and advanced world gen, lots of different seeds, lower number of civs... nothing works for me.  (Linux 0.42.01, no tileset, no nothin', just DF.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 01:40:40 pm »

That's the thing, I can't remember where they are in the raws. I'll probably have a more thorough look later.

Advanced world generation is the way to go, I'm afraid (barring the possibility of utilities or renaming a creature material template to remove all random creatures).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2015, 12:11:19 pm »

So, for anyone having trouble with the "placing civs" freeze like I was: Genning a world using adv parameters seems to get around that, at least from what I can see.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »

So, for anyone having trouble with the "placing civs" freeze like I was: Genning a world using adv parameters seems to get around that, at least from what I can see.

Not consistently, and not on all platforms.  In short, you got lucky.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2015, 01:05:58 pm »

After playing a few forts (By a few I mean a shitload, as I fucked up several times and the goblins and crashes finished me off) I can say this is a really neat update. Built a pub, modified the language files so I could name it "The Winchester", forced elven citizens to do wood-related work, made a mercenary militia and much more.

But I'll take some rest now and wait for the patch, as the crashing is pretty much unbearable sometimes (At least in Linux), but I trust the Toad will fix the crashig.

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2015, 03:05:27 pm »

The Tree-Bug seems to be fixed, well done.  :)

There are however some minor bugs (aside from world gen crashes):
* In Fortress mode, Dwarves seem not to be able to use a ramp submerged in water. A dwarf dropped into water, while I penetrated an aquifer, and he got stuck until I pumped the water out (while reaching competend swimming skill). Using ramps in Adventure mode, however works.
* Wordgen can place sites on volcanoes. (This might be an older bug)
* In Adventure mode, drinking water coverings does not work.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9