Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make a weapon mod?  (Read 2203 times)

TheEpicRanger6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make a weapon mod?
« on: March 31, 2018, 08:36:02 pm »

I wanted to find an explanation of what the raws in the weapons mean, so i can set the raws for a custom weapon I want.

And how do I bring my barf sword into existence, such as it being creatable and people already having them in the world.
During a civil war, I saw a child wailing on an unconscious priest and screaming on top of the walls. I don't know what he did to that kid, but I assumed it must've been awful. I put a pick through his head, and the brat spit at me and accused me of murder. I bodyslammed him off the parapet, 13 z-lvls up.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a weapon mod?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:41:09 pm »

What's the barf sword?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TheEpicRanger6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:44:40 pm »

A custom weapon idea I have and I want to be REAL!

Basically, a solid barf puddle you can cut people with,
During a civil war, I saw a child wailing on an unconscious priest and screaming on top of the walls. I don't know what he did to that kid, but I assumed it must've been awful. I put a pick through his head, and the brat spit at me and accused me of murder. I bodyslammed him off the parapet, 13 z-lvls up.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:00:36 pm »

Hmm...

First, you make a material called "barf" and make it so you can make weapons out of it.

That's about it really. If dwarves find "barf", they can make barf swords with it.

TheEpicRanger6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 08:22:44 am »

What shoulkd I set damage and other stats to, maybe a good explaination. And how do i make a barf material, and be able to have this sword appear naturally in the world.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:27:01 am by TheEpicRanger6 »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:36:53 pm »

Here's the stats for the standard Battle Axe. Numbers may be adjusted since I copied this from my own install based on DF Revised.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Go through item_weapon.txt and compare different weapon values. Spears have more penetration and smaller contact areas, swords have bigger contact areas, etc.

As for getting it made out of a specific material, that gets tricky. Civs try to make their weapons out of metal by default, and will average towards better weapon-type metals if they are available. Sometimes you get wacky stuff like silver whips if they don't have a lot of iron/copper.

Wood weapons only get made if the civ has [WOOD_WEAPONS] in its entity file, except for ranged weapons - which can always be made of wood OR metal. However, the civ will prefer metal if available.

You can make a reaction which creates the weapon out of the exact material you want (like a glass sword or what have you), but you have to remove the weapon from your allowed list - otherwise, traders will just bring metal versions. This means the weapon is "foreign", which doesn't make it any harder to equip, but traders of your race will never bring it naturally.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:44:58 pm »

What shoulkd I set damage and other stats to, maybe a good explaination. And how do i make a barf material, and be able to have this sword appear naturally in the world.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Metal#Weapon_and_armor_quality

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon_token

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 12:25:01 am »

I'd like to point out that vomit already exists as a material in DF. It's not in the raws, unfortunately, so you can't edit it to make it weapons-grade, and as far as I know it only appears in puddles and smears, mostly in a trail between the above-ground forest and your subterranean wood stockpile.

If you're making a barf sword, you should make the material apply a syndrome that causes vomiting.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 12:29:58 am »

Material syndromes aren't applied when a weapon is used.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.