Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 188239 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1710 on: April 20, 2017, 05:39:32 pm »

is there a way to increase skill learn rate without transformations,i want to create a race that learns faster the more of them are near by,and i think having them transform would brake game flow when you get a migrant wave.

Dfhack script.  Have it count units when they appear, back count when they die, have it on a timer to check the count and set all the registered units to the appropriate skill learn rates.... but that's going to be a lot of work.... I'm fairly certain an on death trigger, timers, and the ability to set unit learn rates can be done from existing scripts.

Without dfhack... the answer is most likely no.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 22, 2017, 02:40:31 am »

Usage hints for greetings, cleaning friends and self work out of combat
Only for non-intelligent creatures. Intelligent creatures will only ever use interactions in combat currently.
This is definitely not true.

I put in a "rub beards" greeting interaction for dwarves recently (as in: 43.05) and had to remove it quickly because they SPAMMED IT CONSTANTLY.

Also have a suicide reaction for my tower builder minus zombies secret and they use it asap too, no usage hint.

Yup, just checked, made the suicide interaction have a greeting hint, all these soul beards are intelligent and on the same side, as soon as they see anyone else they off themselves. The zombies were doing it because they go into combat asap basically, without a usage hint these guys weren't doing it in the arena.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 02:56:49 am by Max™ »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 22, 2017, 04:43:16 pm »

is there a way to increase skill learn rate without transformations,i want to create a race that learns faster the more of them are near by,and i think having them transform would brake game flow when you get a migrant wave.

[SKILL_LEARN_RATES:percentage]

But it won't work better the more of them are nearby to each other.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 22, 2017, 04:57:11 pm »

Usage hints for greetings, cleaning friends and self work out of combat
Only for non-intelligent creatures. Intelligent creatures will only ever use interactions in combat currently.
This is definitely not true.

I put in a "rub beards" greeting interaction for dwarves recently (as in: 43.05) and had to remove it quickly because they SPAMMED IT CONSTANTLY.
This is definitely is a .43.05 thing then. Because I did some heavy testing before the 64bit versions and it they only ever used them in combat. Anyway, I am very glad to have been wrong.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 22, 2017, 06:44:59 pm »

Yeah, I figured it would be like "first time you see someone until you lose sight of them" thing, but no.

Soandso rubs beards with Soandso!
Soandso: Hello, Soandso, it really is a pleasure to speak with you again.
et cetera
et cetera
peter cetera
glory of lovecetera
karate kid era
et cetera

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 24, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »

Quick question: I want a material that is always a liquid and will never change state.

What is the cleanest way to accomplish this?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 24, 2017, 04:49:55 pm »

[MELTING_POINT:0]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
That should work, although the liquid might be generated at very cold temperatures. You could also use MAT_FIXED_TEMP, but that might not be the best solution for your purposes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 25, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »

[MELTING_POINT:0]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
That should work, although the liquid might be generated at very cold temperatures. You could also use MAT_FIXED_TEMP, but that might not be the best solution for your purposes.

Cool! Thanks for that. I think I might use MAT_FIXED_TEMP.

Separate material: If I use the same parameters but then set the MAT_FIXED_TEMP higher than the boiling point it should instantly vaporize, correct?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 25, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »

What is the program used to make images like this? I see these pictures on the wiki, and I'd like to use it on some of my modded creatures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 25, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »

What is the program used to make images like this? I see these pictures on the wiki, and I'd like to use it on some of my modded creatures.

Dwarf Portrait

Question: Besides toys, instruments, and tools are any of the other "craft" like items customizable? For instance, can I make different types of mugs, jewelry, figurines, totems, etc...? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but just wanted to double check there wasn't something I overlooked.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 25, 2017, 03:18:18 pm »

Thanks.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 01, 2017, 12:32:35 am »

If you have a creature, with castes with significantly different sizes, do clothes that are made, still fit any of them ?

I'm thinking things like ant men, where castes are different sizes. Or creatures where some castes are quadrupeds and others are bipeds.

Would a helmet shaped for an ant man warrior, fit an ant man queen ? Even though they're different sized creatures ?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1722 on: May 01, 2017, 12:39:05 am »

If you have a creature, with castes with significantly different sizes, do clothes that are made, still fit any of them ?

I'm thinking things like ant men, where castes are different sizes. Or creatures where some castes are quadrupeds and others are bipeds.

Would a helmet shaped for an ant man warrior, fit an ant man queen ? Even though they're different sized creatures ?
Clothes are species level - all castes of a certain species will be able to wear the same clothing even if they're massively different sizes.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 01, 2017, 12:14:57 pm »

Clothes are species level - all castes of a certain species will be able to wear the same clothing even if they're massively different sizes.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Trousers are a go !

Are they a pair of trousers ? or a quad of trousers ? No-one knows, until someone puts them on !

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 01, 2017, 12:55:30 pm »

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Trousers are a go !

Are they a pair of trousers ? or a quad of trousers ? No-one knows, until someone puts them on !
You know, that's a really good question. Do creatures wear different sets of clothes with different body forms for the same species?
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 137