Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01  (Read 26965 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:26:09 pm »

Lets here them guys, what can and should be done with all the new fancy stuff Toady released?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:39:19 pm »

I'll suggest stuff mostly related with Adventure Mode:

1-Writing magic scrolls with the help of DFHack

2-Brewing potions since now with the new drunkness system and some help from a mod like Wanderer I suppose modding in potions is easier(confirm?)

3-New curses that we can get by profaning a temple and can be used to heal you(a transformation curse that tranforms you very quickly or DFhack script)

4-Somehow using artistic performances as some sort of group magic or ritual or attack formations.

5-You can select and config new races and personality traits easier so i guess this could allow all races to be playble?

6-"Potion Shops"(See:renamed taverns) where we can buy potions.

Also it seems that Masterwork is doomed to be outdated  :(
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:55:00 pm »

I haven't tried the new version yet but dwarves wearing trinkets again seems ripe to make them do something useful (especially dfhack's itemsyndrome is still available?). Rings of protection and that sort of thing.

Integrate masterwork's library system into the new one, assuming it isn't completely obsolete now.

Foreign residents could lead to a much improved version of the old human and orc foreign workshops. Scripts that only fire if you have the right species/caste that unlocks stuff.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 09:04:07 pm »

Now that parchments, books, and compendiums (codex) are part of vanilla DF, you should probably remove the custom ink/paper reactions from MW.  More concrete suggestions, in no particular order;

Endgame workshops feedback

I have been using Stal's Armoury in my vanilla game, and I really love the changes to how equipment behaves, in addition to the new gear it adds.  I think it would make a solid addition to MW.

An option to remove the simplified items would be nice.  I realize that is kindof the point of MW, but I find myself really favoring the approach taken by Orichalcum

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:50:18 am »

Also it seems that Masterwork is doomed to be outdated  :(
Not so. 2 days ago I finished my house-moving project, tomorrow I leave to Istanbul. With my good laptop and lots of time on my hands. ;) The new update could not have come at a better timing.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:36:23 am »

Well, writing, performance arts, and religion are in the game by default now, so you'll want to remove or change those.

Some fun things that can be done with the new tags:

Syndromes can alter personality and give good thoughts.
Species can be given resistance or weakness to particular syndromes (example: dwarves resist inebriation).
Syndromes also have optional time dilation between adventure and fort mode, so the two modes can be integrated much better now.
Tools can be defined as custom furniture, finally!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:28:27 am »

So far I only thought about making way for the new features.
- Obviously we can remove paper and book making and use the vanilla's one, then plug the book writing over it and add the 'writing' improvement on the book so it is stored in a bookshelf.
- Afaik subcategories are a thing now so you can add the skill requirement as a first step instead of making it a fake job, and categorize cluttered lists like the smelter jobs.
- You could also merge similar workshop now, ie the smelter and the metallurgist.
- Remove the generic instrument items.

Some more fun new features:
- Most if not all of the vanilla workshop can receive reactions now. There is no more need to create a separate mason/leather/metalsmith shop for that.
- You can set random societal values, humans are all between -30 and 30 now.
- Characters now act according to their needs, and those are generated based on values and personality. I don't know how much it affect fort mode but I spent hours playing with them in the adventurer creation already.
- Books and rolls are raw defined tools, you are likely able to specify new items that can be written on.
- Instruments can be randomly generate or defined up to their components and the sound they produce.
- Dark Fortresses have changed, goblins adventurers are a thing right out of the box and they do engage in activities.
- You can set a race to produce heroes to visit your fort or adventurers without making them a major civ, animal men uses this but other minor creatures can make an appearance.

For some suggestion:
- Drugs for the kobold, that induce mind altering syndrome when drunk.
- Similar thing for a dwarf herbalist but only for medicinal purposes like calming an angry dwarf.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:30:04 am by Boltgun »

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:27:04 am »

Wait,so does this update makes porting masterwork stuff easier because a lot of mod thingies are vanilla things now or is it harder?
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Goryokau

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 02:12:03 pm »

Would like to be able to play the necromancer civ in fortress mode again.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 04:37:47 pm »

Wait,so does this update makes porting masterwork stuff easier because a lot of mod thingies are vanilla things now or is it harder?
It means that mod content is outdated and can be deleted, but it is not exactly the same functionality. I might have to write some new additions.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »

I noticed that on the carpenter/mason shops there's some new instructional dialogues that show up when you hover over some reactions (Specifically, making instrument pieces and making whole instruments.), you can probably use those for complex reactions instead of packing that information into the name/manuals.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Three Blind Mice running on a keyboard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:58:59 pm »

A few thoughts:

Thinking along the lines of invaders, Would it be possible to have groups of 1-5 "adventurers" invade? Decent skills, equipment, possibly trapavoid, randomised race or stereotype (Elf Archer, Gnome with clockwork pants, etc) kinda thing?
I can see Adventurers attacking the Warlocks, Orcs, and generally anyone with enough cash loot to wash away their morals.

Would there be a way to include them as one of the presets for a races ambushes? (Elf Bladedancers, Archers and War Animal types spring to mind)

Naga! Really looking forward to this race, although its not the priority.

I'd really like to see the Warlocks personalities changed to introverted narcissists, or to have them inclined to be that sort of personality.

4. A happiness building for Warlocks, linked to the narcissistic tendencies above using up the prisoners to make a Warlock happy. A prisoner keep complimenting a warlock, under torture. Say the wrong thing, and get punished. Prisoner eventually dies (warlock runs reaction, using up the prisoner) and Warlock gets a good thought "Complimented by prisoner" or similar.
RegalDoom! The Little Warlock Who Could!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137494.0

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 12:59:58 am »

Just throwing out ideas based on the release log:

Quicklime's in the game.  Combined with water it rapidly heats to 150 C; scalding steam traps would be simple for dwarves to make (but would probably require rather a lot of quicklime).  It's also used in cement, apparently.

Paper's in.  Papier Mache, anyone?

Decorative buildings meant to be placed inside of temples?

I wonder how robust the knowledge system is...
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 01:02:57 am »

4. A happiness building for Warlocks, linked to the narcissistic tendencies above using up the prisoners to make a Warlock happy. A prisoner keep complimenting a warlock, under torture. Say the wrong thing, and get punished. Prisoner eventually dies (warlock runs reaction, using up the prisoner) and Warlock gets a good thought "Complimented by prisoner" or similar.

Good thoughts given by syndromes are always in the format "due to x", where x is the syndrome name.

...So this means call it "being complimented by a prisoner".

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 01:53:11 am »

Trinket enchantments that enhance the dwarves that wear them!

Events that trigger when temples are defiled, like blood and acid rains, or statues 'crying' blood or water for a few seasons.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11