Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01  (Read 26920 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2016, 01:56:19 am »

And, internally, the zero index is always in the hash part of the table so it is slightly slower to read than the other indexes, not to mention that ```({"a", "b", "c"})[0] == nil```

Table lookups are always O(1) anyway and the slight slowness doesn't quite matter that much unless you're doing buttloads of table lookups specifically.

Um. Which I am. It freezes the game for seconds at a time in Fortbent, though that's probably due to persist-table being slow for some reason or something else. Maybe I've accidentally created an O(n2m) algorithm (where n is number of units and m is number of times algorithm has been run) again instead of O(n) like it should be. That was embarrassing.

Crysalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2016, 06:44:14 am »

Maybe its time for another donate campaign?  ;D

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2016, 04:50:25 pm »

Not to be too rude about it, but did the last one actually result in Meph updating the mod to the latest version at the time?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2016, 04:52:01 pm »

Not to be too rude about it, but did the last one actually result in Meph updating the mod to the latest version at the time?
There were two donation campaigns, both for 30 days of full-time work, on the Warlock race, the other on the human race. Both were completed, including daily dev log, play testing and manual.

I dont joke around with other peoples money.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

InotDead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2016, 06:29:48 pm »

It would have to wait untill a stable DFHack version available anyway.

On topic: Steam power? Like a building, that requires steam below and/or a convenient way to utilize magma to heat water and create steam, possibly making steam vents. Or may be just steam engines from before. Those were fun too.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2016, 02:37:58 am »

It would have to wait untill a stable DFHack version available anyway.

On topic: Steam power? Like a building, that requires steam below and/or a convenient way to utilize magma to heat water and create steam, possibly making steam vents. Or may be just steam engines from before. Those were fun too.

I was going to ask what the point of making steam would be if not to generate power, but then it occurred to me that that would be a good way to introduce the concept of bathhouses or saunas if the steam carried a helpful syndrome. Like, you'd have the water and magma on z-1, the steam pump on z0, and a meeting zone on z1, and anyone in the meeting room would get a temporary boost to stress relief. Like a waterfall, but easier on FPS and significantly more dwarfy for involving magma.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

InotDead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2016, 04:13:06 am »

I was going to ask what the point of making steam would be if not to generate power, but then it occurred to me that that would be a good way to introduce the concept of bathhouses or saunas if the steam carried a helpful syndrome. Like, you'd have the water and magma on z-1, the steam pump on z0, and a meeting zone on z1, and anyone in the meeting room would get a temporary boost to stress relief. Like a waterfall, but easier on FPS and significantly more dwarfy for involving magma.

I was thinking more of a "pull the lever to scald your enemies" kind of steam, but I guess this could work too  :D
I actually totally forgot that it's been a long time since steam was harmful. Such a waste, if you ask me.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2016, 07:00:13 am »

I was thinking more of a "pull the lever to scald your enemies" kind of steam, but I guess this could work too  :D
I actually totally forgot that it's been a long time since steam was harmful. Such a waste, if you ask me.
Warmist wrote a plugin like that, dragonfire engine, which uses magma as fuel and shoots a burst of flame. Not sure if it ever got updated to the current dfhack.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2016, 05:34:29 am »

isn't warlock still broken because of the prisoners not dying?

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2016, 06:13:22 pm »

I think was this offhandedly suggested in the past, but what about giving Kobolds the ability to do something with their namesake ore, Cobalt?

Kobold is a name of German origin. It relates to the fact some of the superstitious miners believed that toxic little goblins were the ones that were responsible for why certain ore killed you when you without any outwards sign smelted it. This is due to a reaction that occurs, since most of the primary Cobalt ores contained Arsenic. When the Metals were smelted, the Arsenic in the Ore would oxidize, and turn into the highly toxic and volatile Arsenic Oxide.

If and when kobolds get back their stealing function, or perhaps get another building like the 'mining tunnel' or whatever it was called that allowed them to create boulders/ores and such, this could be an interesting non-organic alternative to getting a strong syndrome inducing product. You could get arsenic as a possible byproduct of smelting an ore.

Perhaps kobolds even know instinctively how to get the most amount of Arsenic out of this reaction. By smelting away the constituent ore completely, they can guarantee themselves a small portion of Arsenic from the reaction.

Going further into this quick little research, I found that  there are also a few historical uses of arsenic being used as a smelting agent itself. It was used in the smelting of 'Arsenical Bronze', which was believed to produce stronger Bronze than just using Tin as an alloy. This is not far off the mark, (if only a little). Adding Arsenic to the process would do three things
1: It would act as a de-oxidizer, preventing bubbles/pores from forming in the Casting process.
2: It would impart a better hardening to the metal, compared to using pure copper in the process,, it would see a 10-30% increase in hardness and Tensile Strength
3: In the correct percentages, it can contribute to a silvery sheen on the metal, if the top layer of metal was arsenic rich.

Continuing with this ramble, it might be an interesting later game addition of Kobolds could possibley create Arsenic Bronze, or maybe more appropriately call it 'Kobold Bronze'. It would not stand up to stuff like other races late game materials, but perhaps thanks to a little kobold magic, the metal itself could induce a syndrome. You're fine as lond as your armored up enough against the kobold, but if there is one chink in your armor, the little kobold weapons will get ya.

Course, these sorta reactions would not be without their own shortcomings. I can see both the smelting process, and the Casting process carrying the risk of killing the kobolds involved. So you could have this neat Toxin, and neat weapons, though they will be crappy quality unless you wanna risk your best workers in the process.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2016, 10:20:03 am »

since you can have visitors from other races, could those visitors tell you the secrets of their race(buildings ,weapons like whips)?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2016, 04:48:43 am »

since you can have visitors from other races, could those visitors tell you the secrets of their race(buildings ,weapons like whips)?

That would be nice, but currently you cannot tie buildings or items to knowledge. Maybe by a large stretch it could lead to more instruments available for construction?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2016, 09:14:34 am »

so far realized you could possibly cage trap drunk passed out folks in taverns,
 what can you do with caged guests?
oh I also notice all liquids get sent to the foods section and gets served as drinks.
soo it's possible to make horrible concoctions by the barrel that is immune to your race but Does horrible stuff to anyone who visits?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2016, 11:22:17 am »

what can you do with caged guests?

Turn them into half demons. :3

I tested the related succubus workshop, it works.

oh I also notice all liquids get sent to the foods section and gets served as drinks.
soo it's possible to make horrible concoctions by the barrel that is immune to your race but Does horrible stuff to anyone who visits?

That's a possibility. For fun I brewed magma and put it into the tavern, now I wait.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2016, 09:26:01 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to create a civilization adapted for frozen climates. I'm envisioning elaborate ice palaces. They'd need some way to turn ice into usable water, and possibly a way to create ice boulders so that they don't have a finite supply.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11