Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Differences In The New Edition - General  (Read 58783 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Differences In The New Edition - General
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2015, 05:53:00 am »

On sidenote, anything other than quires needed to write a book? my dwarves do not really seem to write.
And my tavern do not get visitors even if I got beds up and asigned to it the last 8 dwarf months.

There need to be boxes in the library to store the blank quires, and tables and chairs to write on. The written-on quire can be bound into a codex using a book binding and thread at a craft workshop.

How old is your tavern? Has its reputation had a chance to spread? Is your world well-populated? My first tavern (supposed to be temporary) was getting visitors even before I got bedrooms set up, and is now crowded with performers and soldiers who heard it was the place to relax. My second tavern is much nicer and larger, but it doesn't have any visitors.

You can set both taverns to be under the same name though
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2015, 08:02:20 am »

On sidenote, anything other than quires needed to write a book? my dwarves do not really seem to write.
And my tavern do not get visitors even if I got beds up and asigned to it the last 8 dwarf months.

There need to be boxes in the library to store the blank quires, and tables and chairs to write on. The written-on quire can be bound into a codex using a book binding and thread at a craft workshop.

How old is your tavern? Has its reputation had a chance to spread? Is your world well-populated? My first tavern (supposed to be temporary) was getting visitors even before I got bedrooms set up, and is now crowded with performers and soldiers who heard it was the place to relax. My second tavern is much nicer and larger, but it doesn't have any visitors.
More than a year and a half, for tavern age. It should be some, as I get caravans humans and dwarf, had a siege arive. So, ill just wait some more. and maybe add artifact chain to it, so it have that and the current artifact Chest..

And for Library, Tables, Chairs, Chests (whit quires in them) are in the Library.

Thanks for advice.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2015, 10:24:59 am »

Are you guys getting caravans? Other than dwarven ones?
I've reliably gotten human caravans.

Elvish civilization died out during worldgen, so there's no on to send fruit/exotic pet caravans (or snooty diplomats)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »

I get caravans when they're not blocked by sieges (beak dogs for the first time! [Unfortunately, the "camp where the leader was lost" behavior is still there]). I've yet to get any visitor, though, despite having a fairly nice tavern (30 or so kinds of booze on tap). Possibly the goblin site is sitting in the way.

Another change is that dorfs no longer get horrified from seeing goblins/trolls/cave swallow men... "die". Instead all the ones I've looked at have felt nothing. I don't plan to test caravan reaction intentionally, though.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2015, 12:35:26 pm »

Another change is that dorfs no longer get horrified from seeing goblins/trolls/cave swallow men... "die". Instead all the ones I've looked at have felt nothing. I don't plan to test caravan reaction intentionally, though.
I noticed this too! The pile of corpses in my entryway after the wereelephant attack didn't lead to a fortress wide stress-fest. I might be able to go back to massive indoor refuse piles instead of the elaborate catacombs designed to limit hauler exposure to corpses.

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2015, 02:27:20 pm »

I noticed this too! The pile of corpses in my entryway after the wereelephant attack didn't lead to a fortress wide stress-fest. I might be able to go back to massive indoor refuse piles instead of the elaborate catacombs designed to limit hauler exposure to corpses.

I didn't think to check the dwarfs qualities, but some definitely still get horrified. Had a bunch of languar people corpses get in the way of stabling my geese.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2015, 02:30:43 pm »

Yes, and there have been plenty of tears in my dwarves inventories... The horror just seems less debilitating than it had been. Maybe I just got lucky with brave dwarves this time.

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »

I've only noticed one or two dwarfs actually canceling labor's because of it, so we are probably safe.

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2015, 02:47:26 am »

While I was glad to see that the mercs in my fort still fall under dwarven medical care, what with the recent siege leading to missing limbs and broken bones, I have noticed that despite given a barracks for training because why not, they haven't really been sparring.

So do mercenaries spar, or do they just do individual training or watch demonstrations?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 08, 2015, 09:29:05 am »

I think it is based on personality really.

The one mercenary I had join my last fort spent ALL his time in the temple. He had a dream for world peace and all of his personality suggested he hated conflict and wanted everyone to get along etc...didn't check if it said he was super religious...but it seemed like he was practically a shaolin monk so the temple seemed fitting

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 08, 2015, 11:13:17 am »

The human bowman mercenary who joined my fortress spends most of his time in the temple... meditating on torture.  And children.  (He worships a goddess associated with children and torture.  And they say dwarven childcare is bad....)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 08, 2015, 03:09:57 pm »

Well, after a year or more of the barracks being up and the mercs being there on lectures and individual training, a dwarf and goblin merc finally had a sparring match. I guess their need to booze it up and/or practice religion overrides the previous version tendency to spar a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]