Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11174 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

6th Obsidian, 1057
Over a dozen more dwarves have so far cracked and gone insane.  The latest one is Thrakor, who has descended into a melancholy from which no dwarf has yet returned.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

By Armok's Beard! Lets hope my sanity remains intact or the Fort will truely fall!

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

I fear for Watson's sanity although i am sure the fortress will survive if migrants arrive in time.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

The last entry in Thrakor's journal is undated.  It contains some bad Dwarven poetry about death, sadness, and suffering.

Doh!  Oh well- at least I was considerate enough to not go on a berserker rampage and slaughter things.  I think I had pretty good stats, what with mining and bookkeeping.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

Bricktop:

The last goblin attack seems to have crippled the fort. Many dwarves have been driven insiane with grief, and some are condemning Surath, claiming that she tricked them into coming to this place.

We may recover from this sorry state of affairs, but the dwarves were already stretched and this seems to have sent many over the edge. We've lost many of our greatest people, and it had hit the fort hard. I will remain in this fort to the end, may [insert Bricktop's diety] have mercy on my soul...

OOC: I'm assuming that Bricktop has been mostly sane so far. It sounds like the fort's going into a downward spiral though.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Bricktop ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

6th Obsidian, cont.
Watson had apparently followed his good friend Thrakor into melancholy.  Surath was very upset.

"How dare he!"  She yelled, kicking the door.  "How dare he leave me alone!  I can't run this fort by myself!  Not without someone capable managing the military!"  In her rage, she destroyed her table and chair.

But later, after she had calmed down, she called Nosey into her office and made him Captain of the Guard.  He was the only one left with the necessary skill, even if he was unpredictable.

OOC: Bricktop's still fine, and Thrakor would have been a problem had he gone berserk instead (mighty, perfectly agile, unbelievably tough).  Nosey, however, is constantly throwing tantrums, so I'm not sure how long he'll last.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

10th Obsidian, 1057
Another soldier had gone berserk, taking out several war dogs and two dwarves before being overpowered.  Needless to say, this sparked even more tantrums, and one of the elite wrestlers began running around babbling, like many others.  She was soon followed by Taalen, leaving Nosey as the only highly-skilled dwarf in the military.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

15th Obsidian, 1057
Well, Nosey appeared to have pulled out of the spiral of despair and fury that had claimed so many.  He was so pleased at his release from prison, where Watson had put him some weeks before, that it canceled out the bad things that had happened.  And of course, his promotion to Captain of the Guard helped.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2008, 08:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dame de la Licorne:
<STRONG>15th Obsidian, 1057
Well, Nosey appeared to have pulled out of the spiral of despair and fury that had claimed so many.  He was so pleased at his release from prison, where Watson had put him some weeks before, that it canceled out the bad things that had happened.  And of course, his promotion to Captain of the Guard helped.</STRONG>

Heck yeah! We'll rebuild the fort on Nosey's Brute Strength alone!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

26th Obsidian, 1057
When one of the mechanics walked into Surath's office that morning, she sighed.  "Who's gone nuts this time?"

"No one, my wife has given birth to a son.  I just thought you'd like to know."

"Good news for a change!"  The dwarves were beginning to rebuild, it was true, but too many had died in the last month, and there was still the far-too-frequent tantrum for Surath to be completely satisfied.  Her main job these days was as a counselor.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

Unfortunately I'm going to have to abandon this fort.  I've gone from 150 dwarves down to about thirty and they're still tantruming and going crazy.  Particularly since Surath just died (and she was the only one with any skill in consoling and pacifying).  Sorry folks  :(

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2008, 06:54:00 am »

Awwww. Good job while it lasted.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2008, 07:05:00 am »

Can I have the post-abandon save?

I want to try and track down Arnar. Just for the heck of it.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2008, 07:53:00 am »

Was I still alive and sane at the end?
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

Here is the save file of the fort region, for those who are interested.  It was created in 33g, so no religion, and it may also lack a few other things.  Viktoria and Arnar were both still alive when I abandoned, though they were among the most frequent tantrumers, so I don't think they would have lasted much longer.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]