Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 46719 times)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »

Taverns and churches and libraries are so amazing, I thought we should discuss them!

My vision for my Tavern is something like a medieval hall of some sort, something like this??
(http://www.folger.edu/sites/default/files/003248_0.jpg)
Same kind of layout but with a long section of tables, on one side and the other side for performances, I'm working on the second story now.
I'm going to make one side with no balcony and that side will have a huge wall of masterwork engraves! :D

I love to see them singing and dancing!!!

I wanna have a huge circular library that spans several Z-levels, something like this?
(https://gigaom.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1/2011/04/87885327_b0db9347cf_z.png)
So excited for scholars to show up and research! ^-^

I could use some ideas for a church, since I can't think of a beautiful underground church being a thing.

"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:38:49 pm »

Oh man, I am super pumped. Can't wait to found a settlement centered around a thriving system of trade, bars, and inns. I hope we get some good bar fights, though that could lead to a tantrum spiral quickly :D

Also I love the idea of a big circular library, but getting that many books is gonna take some time, unless you can have every Urist McHauler write a book. Also this gives us new ways to offend the elves, "Hey man, check this out, A book, Made from paper and bound with oak, engraved on the the front is a crying tree in oak."
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:38 pm »

Oh man, I am super pumped. Can't wait to found a settlement centered around a thriving system of trade, bars, and inns. I hope we get some good bar fights, though that could lead to a tantrum spiral quickly :D

Also I love the idea of a big circular library, but getting that many books is gonna take some time, unless you can have every Urist McHauler write a book. Also this gives us new ways to offend the elves, "Hey man, check this out, A book, Made from paper and bound with oak, engraved on the the front is a crying tree in oak."

xD I don't think brawls lead to tantrum spirals, since emotions are so fleshed out.

I think it's a safe assumption that this is the first release where our dwarfs are truly alive. They sing, dance, share thoughts and learn, etc.
It's incredible.

Anyway, I think I will get lots of random people to write books.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 09:22:13 pm »

I could use some ideas for a church, since I can't think of a beautiful underground church being a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Cathedral_of_Zipaquir%C3%A1

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 01:09:43 am »

How do taverns work anyway? Do you have to designate the whole area (rooms plus social area) as a tavern? I want to build one but so many questions!

And so little graphics packs cry
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 01:25:02 am »

Just take a dining hall and make it a tavern using 'l' and pick add new location.  Once you do that, any other locations can be assigned to the tavern (like bedrooms, for instance, to create an inn) by using the same function, only this time choose your already existing tavern instead of creating a new one.  The new rooms don't even have to be on the same floor.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 01:49:18 am »

PTW. I so can't wait to try this out, but won't be able to make time until the weekend.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:33:47 am »

This is so cool. I have a dining hall turned tavern with four bedrooms behind it being assigned as we speak. I currently have a dancer, a human crossbowman, a human lasher, and the goblin outpost liason (hi all my civ's major people are goblins) hanging out telling stories and dancing.

Just got a migrant wave with a peasant, he's so going to become a performer once I complete this instrument I'm working on~~
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:36:19 am »

Pardon the double post, but a question for you peeps. Has anyone managed to hire rooms out? Are coins finally a thing again for that, or is there something else I'm missing?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 06:24:05 am »

First Floor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second Floor

There isn't much room for dancing but most of my 30 or so dwarves prefer to sit and hear a good story. The back room stores brew and glassware. No one has moved in yet - perhaps they were spooked by the raging werebuffalo that murdered five, including then-tavernkeeper Ushrir. I assure any potential visitors, that was a freak occurrence! Ignore the bloodied staircase and consider a permanent stay!

bonus fort screen:

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:11:32 am »

People are using libraries as the old meeting zones, and unless they are set as scholars, they remain there doing nothing (NO JOB) and seem to prefer it over the tavern.
I opened a ticket reporting this issue.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 12:01:05 pm »

Hi, so my save crashed, and therefore I lost a bit of progress on my tavern, but here's what I still had before.

The Vault of Festivals

ZLEVEL 1
First floor, eight rooms, a kitchen with storage for the mugs, and what was a theatre but is now a booth again.

ZLEVEL 2
Second floor, a noble area with balconies to sit on and a beautiful wall to admire.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 12:04:25 pm »

Sorry for the double post, just thought I'd elaborate on some things.

Rooms are assigned like a normal bedroom, there's a new button to make them guest bedrooms, therefore not needing to be a zone.

You can also assign dining rooms to taverns, which is how my upstairs area works.

I had a visiting animal-man warrior, who was only there for a short term (Didn't rent a room) and took part in activities in the tavern.

I'm going to redo my 2 lost seasons of work and report back of some new designed areas.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 12:32:50 pm »

People are using libraries as the old meeting zones, and unless they are set as scholars, they remain there doing nothing (NO JOB) and seem to prefer it over the tavern.

Sounds a lot like my college life.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »

Sounds a lot like my college life.

cochramd cancels post: Sides are in orbit.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16