Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Book thief?  (Read 2379 times)

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
Book thief?
« on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:20 pm »

A human scholar came to my fortress to learn. He sat in the library for some time pondering various topics, reading the one and only one-paged book I had and generally chilling. Then, he took the book (hauled it), went to the border of the map and took of with the work. Just like that.
Considering that the book was written previously by some other scholar, is this normal, purposefully implemented behavior?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: Book thief?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 02:15:37 pm »

A human scholar came to my fortress to learn. He sat in the library for some time pondering various topics, reading the one and only one-paged book I had and generally chilling. Then, he took the book (hauled it), went to the border of the map and took of with the work. Just like that.
Considering that the book was written previously by some other scholar, is this normal, purposefully implemented behavior?

There's a bit of a running discussion on this over here too. Might be worth putting a ticket on Mantis for, unless Toady says it's intended behaviour. Maybe scholars will submit books too? Hard to tell.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »

I suspect it was intentional. It was a very real concern in ancient libraries. (Another issue they had was some king or other notable figure wanting to borrow a scroll so that they can copy it -- but then they would 'return' the much-less-valuable copy to the library and keep the original).

I like the idea of a mechanic where you keep your originals behind locked doors and only let the rif-raf see the copies.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »

They will take the book bring it to their home or another library and study it and use it to write new books ( they do the sane in world gen) lots of world gen things happen in play now
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:21 pm »

Seems intentional

They may be trying to take it for whatever reason they have, selling it, claiming ownership of it, etc.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 02:42:53 pm »

If he comes back, politely show him our torture treatment of elves, then kindly ask for the book back. If he refuses, consider him an elf
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

Oh, he'll burn; preferably in magma.
It's kind of disturbing imo, that the books are so... available.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:58:23 pm »

Oh, he'll burn; preferably in magma.
It's kind of disturbing imo, that the books are so... available.
Bah. Dwarves dont need education! There is more knowledge in a hunk of Lignite than all of Shakeshpear *takes tankard swig*
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 03:01:21 pm »

I believe a comment about monkeys and typewriters is fitting here.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 05:22:19 pm »

Wouldnt it be cool if in a strange mood dwarves could randomly invent like more modern things? Like a typewriter, or a musket, but noone would know what they are for so theyd just be junk.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 05:44:18 pm »

Wouldnt it be cool if in a strange mood dwarves could randomly invent like more modern things? Like a typewriter, or a musket, but noone would know what they are for so theyd just be junk.
That might actually be possible, assuming that civs don't simply generate items ex nihilo. Simply mod the anachronistic items in, and make them require slade, or some such thing. Since strange moods ignore material-restrictions, they'll be the only way to get them.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 06:08:28 pm »

I like the idea of a mechanic where you keep your originals behind locked doors and only let the rif-raf see the copies.

That should be doable! In the settings for libraries/taverns/temples you have the option of specifying who can access it (i.e., residents, visitors, everyone). Maybe make two libraries, one for resident scholars and one for dirty foreign thieves.

I'm not sure how you'd eventually get copies over to your public library, but maybe selective bookcase shortages (or deconstructions) would help.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 06:31:22 pm »

That might actually be possible, assuming that civs don't simply generate items ex nihilo. Simply mod the anachronistic items in, and make them require slade, or some such thing. Since strange moods ignore material-restrictions, they'll be the only way to get them.

Even simpler, create the raws for the item and don't give it to any civ.  Strange moods pick items from the raws at random.  Modders have been using this to make artifact only superweapons for ages.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 06:32:11 pm »

Even simpler, create the raws for the item and don't give it to any civ.  Strange moods pick items from the raws at random.  Modders have been using this to make artifact only superweapons for ages.

Cool! Thanks!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."