Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: PREQUEL - How To Offend Your Skeleton 2020/11/18  (Read 21775 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
PREQUEL - How To Offend Your Skeleton 2020/11/18
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:54:01 pm »

PREQUEL
-or-
Making A Cat Cry: The Adventure

So, PREQUEL. It's like an Elder Scrolls fanfiction, but with pictures and games included.
The story, which is pretty similar to the MSPA format (And was born on their forums, in fact) follows the adventures of a terminally unemployable khajit from Hammerfell, who has just emigrated to the Cyrodillic town of Anvil with nothing but the clothes on their back and a paralysing fear of royalty.

You can find the website Here if you want the latest update, or if you want to jump in blind and flail a bit then the adventure starts On this page, which you should really go to first since the comments are always spoilery near the end.

It's been going for a while many years now, accepting suggestions periodically as the internet tries to guide a recovering alcoholic cat through a thoroughly unfriendly world.

So it's about a yellow cat thing, but isn't Elder Scrolls a videogame series? I didn't play Oblivion! I won't understand anything!
Never fear, imaginary strawman created for the purpose of telling real people about this comic!
The story is pretty good at telling you what's going on. Sure, you'll miss a bunch of sneaky jokes and references if you never played Oblivion, and you'll be pretty baffled if you never played Elder Scrolls at all! But the plot doesn't need you to know about any of that!
(Disclaimer: People talk about plot points of Oblivion all over the comments but Oblivion is old enough to attend secondary school so it's clearly your fault really)

In any case, as long as you can withstand wildly variable megalithic update schedules, and have a thing for fantasy, this is definitely worth a look!

Non-Spoilery Quotes:
Quote from: The Narrative
"These gay elves are racist fucks and you don't want to talk to them any more."
Quote from: A Soldier In The Imperial Legion
"Drugs."
Quote from: Aggy
"That's what khajit are good at!
Also working plantations, but apparently that's illegal now."
|-But then, the woman continues, she started thinking about it even harder…
She realized her whole goal was to get rid of those fish. And poison… the poison would do that. It would do a very good job! So poisoning the well couldn’t be a bad idea, could it? If anything, it started to seem as though poisoning the well would be a good idea… with some rough edges. And she started thinking, what if there are no bad ideas, only good ideas with varying degrees of roughness? She was overcome with this terrifying new worldview in which all ideas were inherently good. If that was true, then would poisoning a well really be so bad?

Maybe… maybe poisoning the well is the best idea. What do you think about it?"
The skeleton wishes it knew less about the BAD MAGIC.
Quote from: Sidestory
"And that’s why you are going to buy a cocaine."

If, like all of us normal human beings, your eyesight fell on the last quote, you might note that it's attributed to 'Sidestory'. Who is this sidestory? Nobody knows, but there's a rumor that there are several of them, and that occasionally a whole new one shows up out of nowhere. Truly, Kazerad (The cool guy who makes all this stuff) is a wise and true perfectly normal human.

Other Useful Links
The original thread back on MSPA forums.is dead, along with everything else there. Rest in peace.
A Visual archive of posts. Pretty spoilery! Dead to the advances of time. All things on the internet are temporary and live on only in their successors.
The beginning of the story if you missed the above link.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:53:45 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: PREQUEL - Sad yellow cat thing
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 03:54:54 pm »

Fairly sure we already have a thread on this.

Anyway, I sort of like it. I hope Kazerad will start making updates somewhat regularily and also wont punch us in the face again.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:56:54 pm »

Fairly sure we already have a thread on this.

Anyway, I sort of like it. I hope Kazerad will start making updates somewhat regularily and also wont punch us in the face again.
It gets brought up a lot in the webcomic thread, Things That Made You Happy, and suchlike. I couldn't find a dedicated thread, and clearly there wasn't going to be one so snappily designed, so I went for it

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:08:51 pm »

There you go. Though to revive that thread you'd need to do a 3-year necro, so you might as well just go with this new one.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:45:43 am »

Oh, hey. I remember this. Emotional older coaster with lovable failure cat. The way i remember it, I gave up reading because the audience kept trying so very hard to give her a happy wonderful life, and the author kept twisting everything into perpetual unending failure and alcohol-induced guilt trips.

Did it ever get better?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:20:37 am »

Oh, hey. I remember this. Emotional older coaster with lovable failure cat. The way i remember it, I gave up reading because the audience kept trying so very hard to give her a happy wonderful life, and the author kept twisting everything into perpetual unending failure and alcohol-induced guilt trips.

Did it ever get better?

The lows don't get much lower, but the highs get higher as the comic goes on.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 12:29:00 pm »

Did it ever get better?

The lows don't get much lower, but the highs get higher as the comic goes on.
Plus, failure cat discovers new and interesting ways to fail as she discovers more about herself and tries to exceed everyone else's (low, low) expectations!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:28 pm »

She slowly becomes more Oblivion-protagonist like.

It will, of course, inevitably end in tears (Oblivion does start with you in prison), but for the moment at least things are almost looking up.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 02:47:48 pm »

I recently caught up on PREQUEL after not reading it for a while. The two new sidestories are quite entertaining. If only the main storyline updated more regularly  :'(

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »

...and, read from beginning to end. Yes, the highs have become much higher since last i read this.

Best thing ever hugs for failure cat doing very well right now cat.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 04:13:18 pm »

I just recently read this again and I'm cautiously excited for it once more. Of course, if Kaz decides to start everything from rock bottom just one more time I might have to swear it off forever :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 07:37:18 pm »

I recently caught up on PREQUEL after not reading it for a while. The two new sidestories are quite entertaining. If only the main storyline updated more regularly  :'(
Yeah I wanna be mad about this but Break The Law is too amazing for me to wish for another main update in its place.

Precede is pretty good too, but I don't know the exchange rate between regular updates and flash games.

I just recently read this again and I'm cautiously excited for it once more. Of course, if Kaz decides to start everything from rock bottom just one more time I might have to swear it off forever :P
Let's be honest here, the odds of doing what Khajiit is doing without anything going hideously wrong are pretty low.

That said, she never really starts out from rock bottom. She learns new things, meets new people, and otherwise is usually better off than she was before her climb to that particular precipice started. I have no doubt her imminent flash-based failure next setback will be unfortunate but manageable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 12:45:44 pm »

My indiegogo arrived today. The ministory included was great, and this poster is cool

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: PREQUEL - Sad yellow LOOT
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 08:11:50 pm »

So you're the reason it hasn't updated in six months. >:(
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: PREQUEL - Sad yellow LOOT
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 12:23:19 am »

Wait, you mean there's somebody to blame?
Burn the witch!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11