Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Horse epidemic in .42.01  (Read 12842 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Horse epidemic in .42.01
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 11:26:47 pm »

HAha, I noticed that..they make good training and selling their pelts is always a good thing.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 03:53:33 am »

Just be glad there aren't any Mongols riding those horses, ready to pillage and burn.
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 08:18:03 am »

Butter lettuce party. That is all.

*Leafs* *Leaves*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Honalululand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 03:39:49 pm »

Reminds me of the giant mosquito swarms a few years ago.
Depending on where, though, that could be quite realistic.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 02:46:16 am »

Holy shit. This is just (even by our standards) ridiculous. 3600 horses to a single goblin?
Has someone made them playable yet? The horses, that is.

Also, to curb lag, has anyone edited their raws to remove a vital organ / whatever to kill them?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2015, 02:55:42 am »

It wasn't, because they were swarms of giant mosquitoes.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:16 am »

It wasn't, because they were swarms of giant mosquitoes.

*Cough cough something something Malaysia something something cough cough*
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 04:24:10 am »

Just a bit of data I collected from a world I genned:
Hillocks always have 3600 horses.
Hamlets always have 600, with the exception of one settlement, which had double that amount.
Forest Retreats always have 100, with the exceptions of two settlements, which had double that amount.
Fortresses are less predicable, although the numbers 450 and 1950 did repeat.

It may be a complete coincidence, but you'll notice there's a  progression from Forest Retreat to Hamlet to Hillock, where the previous amount is multiplied by 6.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 06:27:52 am »

There must be a logical reason.  For the giant mosquitoes, it wasn't a bug so much as an oversight in the raws, since mosquitoes come in huge numbers (being swarming vermin) their giant counterparts did as well.

Here, it seems to be a problem with mounts, I have heard other players having epidemics of camels and other mounts, but horses are the most common since every civ has them.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 03:56:32 pm »

My goblin sites have similar overpopulation on Trolls and Beak Dogs, although their numbers are not quite as perfectly round.

The elven forest retreats also seem to have precisely 100, 200, 300, etc. of a lot of animals, rather than odd amounts.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2015, 10:07:18 pm »

Holy shit. This is just (even by our standards) ridiculous. 3600 horses to a single goblin?
Has someone made them playable yet? The horses, that is.

Better. A rare glitch lets one play as horses without modding, as someone attested in the first page.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 06:56:03 pm »

Isn't this still the first page?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »

Not for everybody.
25 ppp, this is page 2.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reinhardt64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:46 am »

I know this is a few days late and Toady has already noted that it will be fixed in the next version, but somebody asked for some science so...

I removed the heart and brain tags from horses like someone suggested and generated 3 quick worlds. However the horse epidemic was still present. Keep in mind all I did was generate them and look through legends mode. I then added the aquatic tag and generated another world. The horses were still present. Confused, I made an adventurer and started out in one of the afflicted towns. I quickly began receiving huge amounts of "The stray horse has suffocated" notifications and found what is now a horse grave yard.

Which leaves me confused... with the hearts and brains gone and only being able to process oxygen in water shouldn't the horses not have even made it through world generation? Or does world generation not take that stuff into account?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:41 am »

I know this is a few days late and Toady has already noted that it will be fixed in the next version, but somebody asked for some science so...

I removed the heart and brain tags from horses like someone suggested and generated 3 quick worlds. However the horse epidemic was still present. Keep in mind all I did was generate them and look through legends mode. I then added the aquatic tag and generated another world. The horses were still present. Confused, I made an adventurer and started out in one of the afflicted towns. I quickly began receiving huge amounts of "The stray horse has suffocated" notifications and found what is now a horse grave yard.

Which leaves me confused... with the hearts and brains gone and only being able to process oxygen in water shouldn't the horses not have even made it through world generation? Or does world generation not take that stuff into account?
I'm pretty sure that world-gen only cares about organs so far as combat is concerned. It's possible to make merman civs whose denizens suffocate the moment you come within shouting distance of them.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4