Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Horse epidemic in .42.01  (Read 12838 times)

Pseudopuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horse epidemic in .42.01
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:13 pm »

Anyone else getting absurd amounts of horses in their worlds?

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Horse epidemic in .42.01
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:18 pm »

I noticed it in adventure mode, as well as the fact that both of my starting animals for my forts twice were horses.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »

Yeah, I've gotten used to all of the animals I bump into when I drop out of travel mode being horses.

It was kinda weird at first, then scary finding them in the tunnels between fortresses, now it's almost familiar.

Pseudopuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:18:32 pm »

There's a large amount of them in each of almost every settlement on my worlds

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 10:20:06 pm »

Ha ha. Not my imagination after all. Was browsing Legends Viewer and came up with these results from a couple of my Dwarf civs:

civ 1: 21200 horses, 2467 Dwarves
civ 2: 42642 horses, 5914 Dwarves
civ 3: 134800 horses, 3772 Dwarves (!)

My theory is that Toady has made all mounts inedible to ensure goblins have enough beakdogs to ride (he said part of the problem was that initial population was low and the goblins butchered the rest). Human civs also have a lot more horses.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 01:57:36 am »

Oh, that explains why I could make a horse adventurer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:40 am »

So many horses that, against all the odds one or two became civilised like an animal man does?

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:31:33 am »

Ha ha. Not my imagination after all. Was browsing Legends Viewer and came up with these results from a couple of my Dwarf civs:

civ 1: 21200 horses, 2467 Dwarves
civ 2: 42642 horses, 5914 Dwarves
civ 3: 134800 horses, 3772 Dwarves (!)

My theory is that Toady has made all mounts inedible to ensure goblins have enough beakdogs to ride (he said part of the problem was that initial population was low and the goblins butchered the rest). Human civs also have a lot more horses.

I will note that I butchered a horse in both adventure mode, and fortress mode, and it was still edible, so I don't think that's the issue. I think it's something involving a "how common is it" thing in the raws.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 04:02:31 am »

Must be just the population boost then. Start off ridiculously high, see if that encourages riders, then gradually work down to something more realistic. Or something.

Anyone been attacked by mounted goblins/elves/humans yet?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 06:04:33 am »

My very first adventurer started in a dwarven fortress filled with horses everywhere. Incredibly laggy.

The population numbers are interesting. If a site has horses, it's 3600 most of the time. Sometimes 2600, sometimes 100, but 3600 pops up very often. Even in towns like this:

Just imagine that place. I don't know if PETA would be enraged or proud.

Non-edit: okay, this is just ridiculous:

I don't think the goblins really own this place - it's more like they're tolerated there.
And I guess two of the horses must have left to make a new outpost for the glory of all of horsekind. Graze the earth!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:41:57 am »

DF: Graze The Earth Edition

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:48:27 am »

GRAZE THE EARTH

Has anybody filed a bug report yet?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 01:19:53 pm »

Can confirm:

I'm pretty sure that something related to how civs work now is causing this.
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:48 pm »

Can confirm:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty sure that something related to how civs work now is causing this.

Might be related to how Toady fixed mounts for goblins. He might have made mounts more common across the board and now we have horses galore.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 01:49:22 pm »

Bit off topic here. But does this by extension mean that human traders show up with tons of horses for sale?

And if that were true, could I catch some other "mount" type creatures, sell them to the humans or whoever, the humans then breed them as mounts (and not have to deal with grazing/feeding as I would have to) and then start bringing those animals back for sale in bulk again?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4