Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 99492 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hearts of Iron IV
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:55:25 pm »

there is an old post on this i found but its a year old so I'm starting a new one.

Hearts of Iron IV is the latest in the paradox hearts of iron series launching some time next year. its looking like its going to be the greatest WWII strategy game ever. im vary much looking forward to it.

official forum is here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/hearts-of-iron-iv.844/

their are so far 35 developer diary's out they can be found here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-developer-diary-archive-live-stream-videos.847266/

here's a brand new video showing some gameplay for the first year of the game put out by paradox on one of their streams on December 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M91JlvGzpY

some random screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:04:52 am »

I am generally a grand strategy nut, and I've no doubt I'll end up buying HOI4 sooner or later, but having been keeping up with development so far through the dev diaries, I don't think they've done a good job of explaining to me what about HOI4 will be better than HOI3 or even HOI2. Prettier textures? Has Paradox hit the Madden football point in their grad strategy series?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:08:17 am »

I am generally a grand strategy nut, and I've no doubt I'll end up buying HOI4 sooner or later, but having been keeping up with development so far through the dev diaries, I don't think they've done a good job of explaining to me what about HOI4 will be better than HOI3 or even HOI2. Prettier textures? Has Paradox hit the Madden football point in their grad strategy series?
Ability to transfer savegames from EUIV (and thus CK2) is one advantage.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:20:03 am »

I really don't like the art style, looking at those screenshots, but paradox always makes it easy to mod things like that, so that's a minor complaint. I didn't play much HoI3 (what happens is I'll load it up, spend 4 hours getting OoB, research, spies, and production all perfect, then declare war and promptly close the game for another 6 months), but what I did play I really enjoyed. So long as it isn't too dumbed down, it'll probably be fine.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 08:33:26 am »

I'm very split over what to think of this game. On the one hand I really enjoyed (and still play) HoI3. And some things which I liked about the game such as command structures and the large number of generals seems to be going out the door. I also really don't like the general look of the game so far, it seems really cluttered or something. Much preferred the flat political map with terrain in HoI3 for instance and the UI looks meh. I'm not particularly fond of the counters being thrown out in favor of the little models of soldiers (Selling those DLC's were probably hard when few used them) that gets kind of irritating to keep track of (based on how they were in HoI3). The research trees look a bit dull and arbitrary so far as well, although I guess it was true in the previous game as well until mods got around to improve them.

That said there's a few changes I really like such as various sizes for rivers or some kind of saner peace negotiations. Not to mention any kind of change to naval combat is likely to be a step forward. An updated engine will most likely be a big help to modders.

It will also be interesting to see how the new industry, equipment, manpower and resource systems will work.

I'm looking forward to the game in general but currently not planning to buy it until it has been out for some time. While I'm not expecting it to be as much of a trainwreck as HoI3 on release I have been kind of disappointed in all their more recent releases I've bought early.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:35:47 am by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:46 am »

I still have to get around to playing HoI 1.  Installed the CD but haven't done anything with it.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:24 am »

Still playing HoI3 from time to time, until now they could not convince me for HoI IV.

Everything is a bit too different, it seems like more of a step back than a step forward in some things, like division building, the situation on counters and sprites (and the discussions about), and some other minor things, but which have quite a major effect.

We'll see what will be delivered in the end.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:45:49 am »

They have actually said they have counters. It's on the wiki and linkeds to a thread where the devs confirmed thy will be an optional feature. From what I have seen from the diarys and especially the video is definitely not dumbed down.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:15:38 pm »

Ability to transfer savegames from EUIV (and thus CK2) is one advantage.
Are they going to have an import from Vicky2? Otherwise, that's going to be weird. There's a pretty solid EU4->Vic2 converter already out there, but not a terribly good Vic2->HoI3 one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 12:37:31 pm »

The first time I played the old HoI (3) I played russia with various humans as the other nations. I went for rookits, cause they are cool, got utterly crushed by Germany, but managed to shot a extremly silly amount of v1 rockets onto my own former territory, thinking it would damage units. In the end the entire German army was utterly stuck in the 0 infrastructure russian wasteland, while cav units ran wild, blocking off the supply routes. Good times.

As long as the game creates storys, it seems fine to me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 01:06:01 pm »

Seriously? Like, have you actually read any of the dev diaries?

Because so far the only thing that's actually the same is the time that the game takes place in. Now, all the things they've changed don't necessarily make it better but personally most of them, especially the ones to combat (because I always felt overwhelmed by it and usually stopped when it got too heavy like UrbanGiraffe says). But you can't claim that it's gone the way of Madden when they've gone and change almost everything about the damn game.

Anyways, with that out of the way. Toroughly looking forward to it, mostly because it has lots of changes that I like, lots of streamlining things so that they're easier to grasp while still remaining complex enough to give depth to the gameplay and weight to decisions you make. Probably won't get it at release since knowing Paradox it'll be kinda buggy but a month or two afterwards when it gets some patches under its belt it'll be a certain purchase.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 03:11:00 pm »

Combat on a large scale was always fun in HOI3, when you got down to the smaller countries it felt a little more lacklustre.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:22:40 pm »

Who the hell are The Empire? It's not Japan. That really just leaves the Brits (among IRL nations), who are their close(est?) allies.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:43:09 pm »

I'm very split over what to think of this game. On the one hand I really enjoyed (and still play) HoI3. And some things which I liked about the game such as command structures and the large number of generals seems to be going out the door. I also really don't like the general look of the game so far, it seems really cluttered or something. Much preferred the flat political map with terrain in HoI3 for instance and the UI looks meh. I'm not particularly fond of the counters being thrown out in favor of the little models of soldiers (Selling those DLC's were probably hard when few used them) that gets kind of irritating to keep track of (based on how they were in HoI3). The research trees look a bit dull and arbitrary so far as well, although I guess it was true in the previous game as well until mods got around to improve them.

That said there's a few changes I really like such as various sizes for rivers or some kind of saner peace negotiations. Not to mention any kind of change to naval combat is likely to be a step forward. An updated engine will most likely be a big help to modders.

It will also be interesting to see how the new industry, equipment, manpower and resource systems will work.

I'm looking forward to the game in general but currently not planning to buy it until it has been out for some time. While I'm not expecting it to be as much of a trainwreck as HoI3 on release I have been kind of disappointed in all their more recent releases I've bought early.

The main thing about the OOB system from HOI3 is, most people who played hoi1 and 2 hated it, because it made managing large scale armies like the Reds nearly impossible on any meaningful amount. This new system seems like it will allow for higher level planning without having to hope the AI does the lower level stuff correctly, and also doesn't mean you have to micro 600+ units across the entire Barbarossa front.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »

Who the hell are The Empire? It's not Japan. That really just leaves the Brits (among IRL nations), who are their close(est?) allies.

The US (and other nations) have a bunch of alternate history focuses. A player can choose in the game options to limit AI nations to a historical path. Strike at the Empire is indeed part of the War Plan Red tree.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51