Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 99598 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #540 on: February 28, 2017, 10:23:23 am »

You're going to most likely step on someone's toes regardless of who you start as if you want to expand. If you start in the Americas no one will pester you for attacking other American countries until the USA gets paternalistic. So Brazil, I guess?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:25:35 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 28, 2017, 10:24:21 am »

Honestly--US is terrible to start with, it's a logistics monster and all together just too much to manage. Try Belgium or Netherlands or the Nordic Countries. They're tiny, fun, and you can seriously fuck up larger powers.

Small nations are OP in this game, seriously. It's easy to be a good Belgium or Netherlands on any side of the war effort.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #542 on: February 28, 2017, 10:27:14 am »

I started as Italy which is a fairly stable position, you have big brother Germany you can suck up to and people generally don't want to mess with you. The tutorial was fairly good, if a bit brief. I'd suggest watching Quill18's Italy LP for some help.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-stmmaOdyLR1FS1hvUIflCL

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 28, 2017, 10:52:21 am »

I'd say go Sweden. Best simplest small faction 100%
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 28, 2017, 11:21:18 am »

I'm suggesting Poland or Romania. They're reasonably large that you can go for whatever in terms of army and overall strategy but not large enough to overwhelm you with options. Furthermore they're in such a position that you can suck up to either side of the war if you so choose or just go your own way if you want a bit of a more challenging playtrough. Also their focus trees are fairly straightforward and pretty powerful in what they do so you won't have to worry about byzantine choices and prerequisites on that front either.

I've never played HoI multiplayer but would anyone be willing to do a game or two? Could be a nice learning expirience if Ultimuh wants to join in as well. Also I'm not sure how the DLC compatibility works there since I don't plan on getting any until they pile up a bit (plus the first DLC was a resounding meh from the amount of stuff it introduces).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #545 on: February 28, 2017, 11:24:58 am »

RE: DLC, generally in paradox games those without DLC simply don't get to use the content therein. Although in Stellaris I believe DLC stuff spawns so long as the host has it, so who knows.

I'd be up for a game some time but the timing might be awkward unless we do it on a weekend.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 28, 2017, 11:27:52 am »

-snip-

Yeah, my bad, I should have given a better explanation, but yeah it's mostly for safety purposes because most EU countries will begin fighting within a few years and MURICA's only got to worry about building up as their neighbors aren't Hitler or Japan. You could attempt as the Philippines, as you're a protectorate under the U.S. and you'll have a few safe years to build factories and stuff before Japan tries to eat you.

If you start as U.S.:
Start by building Civilian factories in every state asap. You'll be able to convert them to produce weapons later but for now you need them to construct more factories.
Once you have all the states producing factories (it will take a long while), assign a general to lead the national guard using the card thingy at the bottom of the screen. First drag and select all the units on the continental U.S. and then click on the card thingy at the bottom of the screen. This will assign all the divisions to a single army. Now select that army from that card and you'll see a blank silhouette for the leader on the stats card on the top left. Pick a no name general and he'll pop up as the leader for that army card.
After he's ready, you can assign him to defend by clicking on the "garrison area" button at the battle plans popup over the unit card. Just click all the states on the continental U.S. Congrats, the U.S. is now safe from no threats at all! Now that they're garrisoning and moving across the U.S. and all that you can begin generating army experience by clicking on the army card and you'll find the option for them to perform exercises on the army stats popup on the top left. You'll need that experience to customize your divisions for training later.

That's it for a basic tutorial, the game is extravagantly deep and I found learning by focusing on one area at a time will help you learn faster. Like, I had no idea how factories worked until i just decided to build shittons of them.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:04 am »

In CK2, as long as the host has a DLC, everyone can play with it.

I'd be down for a multi-match myself.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 28, 2017, 11:58:09 am »

Oh, for a relatively safe location that's small....try Australia.

Never tried them myself, last I played I was Communist China. Pretty fun, you actually don't have to worry much about Japan until they explode and get huge.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 28, 2017, 03:10:13 pm »

RE: DLC, generally in paradox games those without DLC simply don't get to use the content therein. Although in Stellaris I believe DLC stuff spawns so long as the host has it, so who knows.

I'd be up for a game some time but the timing might be awkward unless we do it on a weekend.
Actually generally in Paradox its the opposite. If the host has the dlc, everyone gets it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #550 on: February 28, 2017, 03:12:25 pm »

Really? I seem to recall being unable to control a country because of a missing DLC even though the host had it. Maybe I'm misremembering

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #551 on: February 28, 2017, 05:29:11 pm »

In CK2 if you don't have the DLC then the people associated with said DLCs (Muslims, Pagans, Jews) are not available to you.
In EUIV I belive everything is available as long as the host has the DLC.
In HoIIV you get access to all countries, although you need DLCs for their custom stuff (eg. Poland). I am not sure how it works in Multiplayer, might be that if host has the DLC then you cannot play that country if you don't have the DLC.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 28, 2017, 06:05:27 pm »

I might have issues with the timing, since I live in Sweden.
Also, I have a tendency to quit a game in order to play another. Otherwise I might grow bored of one game.
Other times however, I can play one game for hours without end, and not getting bored.
Not completely sure why I sometimes am this and sometimes not.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 28, 2017, 06:11:41 pm »

Im down for multiplayer.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 28, 2017, 09:53:17 pm »

I don't have DLC either and I've played a few bunches
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 51