Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Fan Game] ER UFO Defense OOC (Blastoff! here goes)  (Read 3650 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Fan Game] ER UFO Defense OOC (Blastoff! here goes)
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:05 am »

The Early 21st Century, the world faces an escalating UFO invasion.

This is a minimalist mission based RTD, with a focus on repetitive, short, brutal missions with clear objectives. Cartography and layout of each mini-scenario will be in the form of a simple flowchart or graph. The teams will move from area to area to clear out the enemy and achieve their objectives. The focus will also be on ER style infantry combat.

The enemy aliens possess both aggression and initiative. They will actively respond to the player teams, attempt to ambush them and/or cut off their lines of retreat. It is entirely possible for the enemy to achieve first strikes and initiate combat with opening kills on the player group despite the players having "done nothing wrong".

Wiki with game info: http://rtdufodefense.wikia.com/wiki/RTDUFODefense_Wikia

Character Creation Template:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Old Textbabble

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:43:27 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: [Fan Game] ER UFO Defense OOC (still a bit under constuctionish)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:50:32 pm »

Okay, first, this seems interesting, but is this subforum really the place for it?  Under the rules that it was originally created with, it wasn't supposed to be for any game aside from ER.  The other stuff like DMR only slides through on account of being in the same universe as ER.  I'd think it would be better to do this in the Roll To Dodge subforum, and just post a notice in ER OOC.

Secondly, will this game be at least somewhat conducive to a sniper?

Thirdly, how realistic will it be, as far as combat?  On one hand, you have muzzle energy listed, but on the other, melee combat is a skill.  Will there be some reason melee combat is useful?

Lastly, just a suggestion, but add a difficulty 0 psychic power of "message" or "empathy" or something, which lets people communicate with nearby people who they're familiar with.  That way, we can actually talk to each other and coordinate, and there will be much less worry of OOC abuse.  I'm thinking of this primarily because it's useful to a sniper who's going to be hundreds of meters away from his team most of the time.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:19:12 am »

At the start of the game, I want to try to simulate 21st century combat, which would mean a somewhat gun dominated battlefield at first unless alien inflence changes the nature of fighting and forces more melee weapons to redevelop.

Fights could still degenerate to melee with the enemy on top of the players. Particularly if we introduce melee oriented enemies or some kind of honor cult caste.

Snipers should still work, maybe the players could develop gear to make them more adaptable to close range sharpshooting on top of long range camping.

I expect players to take the meta to the max. Communications would affect stuff like calling home base for backup or a rescue.

I'll think about moving that ic thread. Meanwhile I'm happy to bounce ideas around in here.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:18:29 am »

Don't wanna sound like an annoying police, but what part of the game is related to ER? ERverse doesn't even have psychic powers (as far as I know, hence amps).
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »

Can we have shotguns?
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:22:05 pm »

Don't wanna sound like an annoying police, but what part of the game is related to ER? ERverse doesn't even have psychic powers (as far as I know, hence amps).

I have to agree. It sounds fun enough, but what is the link with ER? Perhaps,it should be moved to regular rtd board (toady can move threads around I think).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 10:59:36 pm »

It's related to ER only cos I copied most of the game engine. It's en experiment to take the combat side of Piecewise's system to the max. I'll see to moving or starting a proper thread in the rtd board then.

As for shotguns, I plan to make it something that players will request for specifically. You can acquire any 21st century small arms by asking for the specific model. Tooling for armory mass production will be a different issue. And players are also encourage to modify existing gear or research new ones.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:05:54 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 03:02:09 am »

The game engine ER uses is piecewise's brain. Can't copy that.  8)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 11:56:05 am »

Hmmm. Considering joining (depends on whether I have the time), got a couple of questions:

What is the (implied, even if minimalistic) backstory for our military unit? Are we private military contractors, or are we governmental program? Is the unit specifically USA-originating (based on the weapons selection), or is it international, in the glorious X-Com tradition?
In addition: do the assorted grenade launchers use Con or Exp to shoot? ER logic suggests Con, but then ER's explosives are Uncon and projectile-explosives are listed among Con weapons, so I'm not sure here.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:21:08 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:03:21 am »

Todo:
Move/start proper i/c thread.

Rethink encumberance. I want over-encumbered armored soldiers running around, but not at the expense of fun or too much worrying over the minmaxing.

I also need to flesh out a research system and a way to acquire non-standard issue gear.

As for backstory, I think it'll be fun playing as pmc or vigilantes who have difficulties in getting paid and have to resort to looting and/or outright plunder of the surrounding civilian areas on top of gathering alien artifacts.

All explosives should be explosive stat. But for grey areas like grenade launchers or combo weapons, we could let the player choose to roll on projectiles. Any failures of the explosives should be rolled on the explosive stat. Mishandling explosives wi result in !fun!.

It will be glorious xcom international style.. I'll flesh out a public relations stat. I may also simulate jealous intelligence agencies who try to fight you for loots. Also, massive civilian casualties or hostage situations, especially in abduction missions could be a thing.

Transport aircraft will be as abundant as the plot requires. Focus should still be mostly on infantry. Unless we get enough vehicle drivers.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:06:10 am by Aigre Excalibur »

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 01:29:28 pm »

The max unencumbered carry weight for the standard-issue human is ~40lbs. 15-25 of those pounds could be carried in hands around waist height, but the rest would have to be supported by hips and shoulders, hips preferably. The average American soldier carries at least ~90lbs of kit, so if you consider them to have, say, +1 Str and +1 End, then maybe you could assume that a point of Str/End gives about 25lbs carry weight, because it's either less of a load for you, or a heavy load that you're tough enough to handle. Then again, American soldiers are usually considered to be overencumbered, and they generally won't carry so much into combat, so maybe you can assume that a point of Str adds, say, 30lbs to your unencumbered carry weight but a point of End helps you deal with overencumbrance better.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 06:47:27 pm »

Maybe.. 10 kilos at -2 strength. And a 10kg increment per level after -2.

It should also help with hitting things, controlling heavier weapons, and going toe to toe with the enemy in close-up room to room fighting while encumbered.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:49:27 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:34 pm »

I'd really recommend you keep encumbrance scores more abstract.  IIRC, PW has actually listed this as one of his worst game design mistakes; He highly regretted adding encumbrance and carry capacity to... the one game where you explore a quiet world, I think.  My own experience with encumbrance systems says that generally they're just either annoying or ignored.

Perhaps you could say something like "At W strength, you can carry X heavy objects (Machine guns, higher caliber snipers), Y medium objects (assault rifles, shotguns, larger SMGs), and Z small objects (Pistols, magazines, grenades).  Armor would just fall into one of those categories based on weight; Full interceptor would be heavy, dragonskin suit would be medium, helmet would be small.  This is way easier to keep track of, and will avoid players constantly asking "How many kilos does this alien doo-dad weigh?  How about this one?  I'm only .4 kilos overweight, so I shouldn't get full encumbrance penalty, right?"

Actually, no, that wouldn't work well.  Inevitably somebody would try to use an M240 and full interceptor, but only a couple grenades and no medium stuff.  It would probably be best to just round to the kilogram, and give generic guidelines for volume to weight.  Hrm.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 01:39:44 am »

Here are some ideas on encumbrance -- syvarris is right, you don't want to force people to recalculate backpack weights all the time, so:

Handheld weight: Each strength level increases the set of things you can comfortably wield. Wield something a level above, and you're encumbered. Nobody can wield stuff two levels above. Level 0 would be things like assault rifles, crowbars, shotguns, a shortsword, etc. Level 1 would be, for example, the M60, or a bazooka, or a sledgehammer. Level 2 might be a minigun, for example.

Carry weight: Maybe 30, say, random pieces of small-ish crap, depending on how much time you spend organizing your pockets/bag/utility belt you could carry more small items. Add room for a couple large items on top, with more stuff the stronger you are. This would probably be best played by ear, I can't think of a useful rule yet (apart from, maybe, you can carry less big stuff if you're wielding a big thing).

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 10:19:49 pm »

A simple map for a hostage/abduction situation at a kindergarten. That'll probably be mission 1:

Also a prototype wiki: http://rtdufodefense.wikia.com/wiki/RTDUFODefense_Wikia
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:39:53 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Pages: [1] 2 3