Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sieges  (Read 7579 times)

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges
« on: December 03, 2015, 12:29:05 pm »

Got my first siege today. Late autumn, 2nd year, 97 dwarfs (including one bard who petitioned to join the fort, thanks Toady!). Not sure if this is intended:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah, that's right, almost 100 invaders, mounts and trolls too. Good that I have a bridge.
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:36:52 pm »

Got my first siege today. Late autumn, 2nd year, 97 dwarfs (including one bard who petitioned to join the fort, thanks Toady!). Not sure if this is intended:
Yeah, that's right, almost 100 invaders, mounts and trolls too. Good that I have a bridge.

Well, sometimes you don't get to choose your opposition. I think this should be behaviour we expect. They're an aggressive race! That said. That is a lot of things to kill for 97 dorfs. Time to start building battlements for your crossdwarves.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 12:39:05 pm »

Well, sometimes you don't get to choose your opposition. I think this should be behaviour we expect. They're an aggressive race! That said. That is a lot of things to kill for 97 dorfs. Time to start building battlements for your crossdwarves.
I'm just surprised that they became THAT aggressive. Seems like I'll have a lot of FUN in this version  :D.
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »

One thing that's new is a parameter to limit how large sieging forces are allowed to be, so you can tone it down if you want to. I don't find the force you're getting to be unusual in numbers compared to a "mature" 0.40.24 siege: they usually were between 40 and 100, ½ - 2 times per year. The first one tended to be only 10, though. And, of course, I've yet to see a mount myself, but it looks like that's going to change.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »

PRAISE ARMOK, THERE ARE SIEGES

That kind of size was pretty normal in 0.34. Things were far, far too quiet in 0.40. Just wait em out and they should leave.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:12:20 pm »

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 05:29:35 pm »

Maybe Toady was like oh you want some more sieges? WELL HERE ARE YOUR FREAKIN SIEGES!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 05:55:20 pm »

Maybe Toady was like oh you want some more sieges? WELL HERE ARE YOUR FREAKIN SIEGES!

You get a seige! And you get a seige! Everyone gets a siege!
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 12:22:26 pm »

:D
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 06:21:07 pm »

They're back!

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 07:30:16 pm »

That weird moment when you are actually happy for the goblins to be back at your doorstep/bridge/hatch/open hole/death trap.
...and moments (and a few bearded corpses) later one probably starts to regret all that.

So, sieges and lots of new stuff? Guess I'll have to get me a new fortress running soon, hopefully it will be more exciting than Violentlash - even if it might not last as long.

But yes, 100 invaders is nothing especially special, especially considering that you are also counting their pets and mounts, but I love seeing mounted goblins; I hadn't seen a single mounted goblin siege in .24 (and I saw many, many sieges over a long time), only the elves that I pissed off arrived on mounts.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.