Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Rubble 8.5.5 - DF 44.7 - New DF, new Rubble.  (Read 66628 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

The Mac permissions section of the "Get Info" (properties) window is very basic. It only allows you to control which users can read and write to the file or folder. Apple probably didn't think that end users would need to know what an execution privilege is.

Wow... Apple's policy of hiding useful stuff is that bad? I think I'll stick with Linux and Windows.

Macs always make me feel like the OS designer thought I was an idiot who needed my hand held every step of the way. I kept getting the feeling I was being "protected" from things that I needed. Admittedly the last time I used a mac was in school, but I doubt this has changed much...

I don't know how I will handle OSX privileges, because (as I said earlier) everything is compiled and packaged on a Windows PC. The idea of a small tar with just the install scripts would probably work though...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Could a tar built under Linux set the permissions in a way the Mac would respect?  Tiny Linux install on a virtual box should do it I'd think?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Yes it will. Both darwin (the OSX kernel) and the Linux kernel use the same standard UNIX file permissions at heart.

Really OSX and Linux are the same thing at their core, just two different flavors of UNIX clones. I prefer the one that doesn't think it's users are idiots...
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Yes it will. Both darwin (the OSX kernel) and the Linux kernel use the same standard UNIX file permissions at heart.

Really OSX and Linux are the same thing at their core, just two different flavors of UNIX clones. I prefer the one that doesn't think it's users are idiots...
See, if you were on a Mac, it would have insisted you use the proper form "its" instead of "it's" ;)

I know MacOS is a modified *Nix, just thought there might be more "help" preventing you from sideloading executables with the method  I described.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

I usually remember to use the correct "its". Must be a Linux problem (the laptop runs Linux).

Anyway, 8.4.2 (with nicer support for OSX, and possibly Linux) will be along before long...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 8.4.2 - DF 43.5 - Much better OSX and Linux support!
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2016, 11:40:40 am »

8.4.2 is up now!

This version includes launcher scripts for OSX, a generic browser script that should work on both OSX and Linux, and a generic installer script that, once again, should work on both OSX and Linux.

Obviously I haven't tested on OSX, but everything works smoothly on Linux Mint 17.3

Special thanks to jecowa for invaluable help getting the OSX version working properly!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 8.4.3 - DF 43.5 - Much better OSX and Linux support!
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2016, 11:47:57 am »

8.4.3 is up.

This version contains some minor bug fixes, the only reason I am pushing it now is because Underhive Settlement needs one of the fixes.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 8.5.0 - DF 43.5 - UI Improvements!
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »

What? New version already?

Yup, 8.5.0 is up now!

This version contains no bug fixes, and no major new features, but it does have some really nice UI improvements :) If I hadn't needed a project for my jQuery experiments this version wouldn't exist, but I am quite happy with the result in any case...

TC01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2016, 11:42:50 am »

Hi; I've been packaging Dwarf Fortress and related utilities for Fedora: I've been looking into possibly packaging rubble as a solution for installing mods, and was curious as to your thoughts.

Right now the dwarffortress and dfhack packages work by installing their contents system-wide (into /usr/lib/dfhack, /usr/share/dwarffortress, etc.). When you actually run "dwarffortress", the ~/.dwarffortress/ directory is created in your home directory and raw files, data, binaries, etc. are symlinked or copied (depending on the type of file-- data/init is only ever copied once, for example, but raw files are symlinked) into this directory. Then each user has their own DF installation in their home directory, but when the package is updated, each user's installation is also updated.

(This is how the packages work on Arch, too; I more or less just ported them to Fedora).

This is great if you just want to play vanilla DF + dfhack, but not so great if you want to install mods or tilesets. But creating a modded installation should in principle be as easy as copying all the DF files from the system-wide installation into, say, ~/.dwarffortress-0.43.03-modded/ or something, and then installing mods on top of that directory using some tool.

So, I was wondering if you thought it made sense to use rubble as that tool? The idea would be that a rubble package is installed system-wide and some script is put into /usr/bin that creates a new user-modifiable DF installation somewhere in a user's home directory by copying all of DF and DH (so a user would have permissions to edit the raw/ directory and so updates to the system package don't upgrade this copy), and then installs rubble on top of that. Then rubble could be used to manage mods.

Does this seem reasonable?
stockpile: git based installation management.
Dwarf Fortress for Fedora: Packages of DF and friends for Fedora Linux.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2016, 10:54:32 am »

Since you obviously don't mind fiddling with paths and such, yes.

When Rubble starts it reads a configuration file from the current working directory, if you start Rubble so that the current working directory is related to an individual DF configuration you can allow users to have their own addons, configuration, etc.

You will probably find the tutorial about setting Rubble up as a tileset installation tool useful. It doesn't describe what you want exactly, but it does have some helpful information about unconventional Rubble setups. For even more helpful info run "rubble help", all the command line options listed will work as keys in the configuration file ("Rubble Basics" has a section on the configuration file if you need more help).

If you need more details about something the documentation is unclear about just ask :)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 8.5.1 - DF 43.5 - UI Improvements! (Goodby 32 bit...)
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2016, 01:30:43 pm »

New version!

It's not really a big deal, mostly internal cleanup and minor bugfixes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2016, 07:18:04 pm »

So I've tried putting rubble in the df_43_05 folder, I've tried even tried putting it in the init folder, but I still get a crash that is this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2016, 07:19:16 pm »

It looks like Rubble can't find DF. Rubble expects to find the directory containing the DF binary at ".." (eg, the parent directory). If DF is at "df_43_05" then Rubble should be at "df_43_05/rubble" (the actual directory names don't matter). Note that this is only the default, you can create a configuration file that allows you to specify any path you like.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2016, 08:12:18 pm »

I still have it in said area, but it is giving me that same error still

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2016, 08:24:36 pm »

The path from "rubble.exe" to "init.txt" should be "../data/init"

The directory structure should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
df_43_05/
    data/
        init/
            init.txt
    rubble/
        rubble.exe
    DwarfFortress.exe

If you still have trouble then add a config file (read "other/Rubble Basics.md").
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14