Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Was version .40 a bust ?  (Read 26939 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Was version .40 a bust ?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 05:12:26 am »

Reputation is dramatically improved in .42, like holy shitbats improved.

*Dance my ass off in my home town, everyone is amazed, random people in town I "know" but never spoke to ask if I'm still dancing
*Move to another town, dance my ass off, get a name for myself there
*Wander around the world doing different stuff, tomb-robbing, beating up monstarz, busting up bandit robberies
*Walk into a town I've never entered before, people call out to me as I'm walking by and ask if I'm still dancing
*Holy shit, I'm actually famous!

Works the other way, I had a town that ended up with no shop signs, everyone spitting at me, all that because I accidentally killed someone while trying to dance when a brawl broke out, despite clearing out the zombie yeti and vampire infestations (well, the yetis helped with one vampire, but that's beside the point) everyone was just pissed about me accidentally punching that one dude in the brain. Literally had to leave town to find anything to do but get spit at or decide to try to slaughter a massive metropolis in retribution.

This update though, the thing I see the most promise in is the books, I can see it winding up where your civs actually learn how to do all their shit during world-gen, some wind up further ahead in various areas than others, information and cultural exchange are as important as goods and services, espionage fits in nicely, plus hey, you could do things like learn new skills or improve ones you know by reading books on them!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 07:03:30 pm »

The only "broken" thing in .40 were invasions
Do you really think that? Well, what do I have to say to that..
Ah, yes..

It was inevitable.

Nothing like making all tasks you could ever perform be completely ignored by absolutely everyone.
Oh and this is still true in 0.42.1; "oh no bandits are harassing us!!" -> kill the fuck out of the bandits and drop the leader's corpse near their face -> "It was inevitable."

thanks
I guess your version must be broken then. Everybody else gains reputation. Haven't you noticed that after spreading tales of your titan killing exploits, people start to greet you with 'Wow, a legendary hero. You'll have no trouble travelling at night, the bogeyman would get me', and such.

System is working fine. 'It was inevitable' as Toady has said several times is a placeholder and no way indicitive of a broken system.

Exactly, you still get reputations, they just don't SAY that you do TO you, until. afterwords. which is fine, because reputations still work fine ..
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 07:04:56 pm »

I'm comparing the single most important part of adventuring (getting famous!) being completely broken compared to 0.34 to an important part of fortress mode being broken.

The reason doing performance stuff in 0.42 is of any interest to me whatsoever is due to the fact that you actually gain recognition for it; people actually react to you doing it.
They do not act at all to you performing feats and quests for glory. In fact they're outright dismissive about it. That absolutely kills the buzz of adventuring.

Because nobody is going to care, and "actually doing it" is not a fun motivator if you know exactly how broken the game is and how to exploit that.
Of course you could play without exploits, and sure - I will do that. Once somebody gives a fuck about what you perform in the world for them.

Except that's... literally untrue. Kill a dragon and they'll say "it was inevitable", sure, but ask them about yourself and they'll say "You are a legendary hero". This was as true in 0.40 as it is in 0.42. People are really quick to call you a legendary bard in this version, heh.

Putnam, you are exactly right.
I am an indie game dev!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 09:27:53 pm »

Exactly, you still get reputations, they just don't SAY that you do TO you, until. afterwords. which is fine, because reputations still work fine ..
People accost me on the street and ask me if I'm still singing/dancing/telling stories, your reputation can most definitely spread and precede you.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 09:50:32 pm »

Not at all! Better dialogue, better emotions, multi-z level trees complete with changings of the season, harvestable tree fruit and much more outdoor plant-life detail and uses, climbing in dwarves and everything else, and a whole bunch of other stuff I am sure I am forgetting. Each DF version is a step forward, some of them can just be a little rough.

The two most memorable things out of .40 for me was
* New emotion system, sentients more or less properly fear combat, and tantrumming became less rare (a bit biased here as I never really had problems with that bit). I always wanted to test out how parents will react if I put all the children of the fortress in a spike pit and set one of the parents to level pulling repeatedly. Like if it would increase their discipline quite a bit or make them emotionally dead. That particular though came when I had a fortress of 30% children and a few of them were on murder sprees. Their fists were like iron apparently.
* Multi level trees
* Wood
* SO MUCH MORE WOOD
* Sparse tree biome? Psh, 150 logs easily within a month.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:53:38 pm by Codyo »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 05:30:20 pm »

What I remember most in v.40 was that babies born with daggers, and dwarfsplotion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:53 pm »

0.40.14 added the emotions

0.40.01 was the most important update in the history of the game, but people complain about it incessantly and only say minor things from it were important because for some reason when they play dwarf fortress they want to play something else
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:01:31 pm by Putnam »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 06:33:43 pm »

More important than z-levels?!

Yes, definitely. World activation is huge.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:09 pm »

More important than z-levels?!

Yes, definitely. World activation is huge.

It is huge.

The world is ALIVE now.
I am an indie game dev!

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2015, 12:17:31 am »

I am playing 38.11 and I recommend everyone goes back to experience !FUN! such as ambushes/kidnapping and food resource management. Without these aspects and the above mentioned other issues the game reallly was lackluster. These major issue should have been addressed before moving on to new content. Especially given the time between updates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2015, 12:18:38 am »

Sieges were dealt with.

0.34.11 also had completely trivial food management. A 5x5 plump helmet farm would feed everyone forever.

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2015, 12:33:19 am »

If you could set up a field in time and if you manage the seeds and if manage to brew them fast enough to replant. Endless fruit and berries growing on the surface dont require anything of these things..especially any digging.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2015, 12:41:26 am »

You could grab endless berries on the surface in 0.34.11.

Setting up a field in time is completely trivial. Dig into some dirt, you now have a field. You don't need to brew to replant, they'll drop seeds when they eat.

Add 5 peahens on top and you have easy, infinite food.

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2015, 01:00:39 am »

You dont have endless berries on the surface in 38. You have a bunch if you embark in a an area with lots of bushes but a very small variety compared to the hugely expanded plant types in 40+. And then a ton more fruit to consider of which you have none in 38. Neither of which requires the effort farming does..and even eggs require some management to make sure they are fertilized and whatnot.  Farming requires you have soil and a good ratio between plants and seeds to avoid logjam in the process. Plants/trees are just always there there and grow back fast

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 01:02:33 am »

1. 34
2. you explicitly do not fertilize eggs for food, if you want to use them as food you just plunk down nest boxes and there, you now have infinite food
3. having soil isn't really that big of a problem, logjam really isn't either (either you have too much food, the horror, or not enough food, which the hens would take care of)

what i'm saying is it takes very minor effort to make 0.34 exactly as broken as 0.40.06 and beyond when it comes to food
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6