Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Was version .40 a bust ?  (Read 26860 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Was version .40 a bust ?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 07:43:21 pm »

DF is no longer one person's garage project. Its has grown far beyond that and has 100s of contributors.

...what?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 08:01:15 pm »

DF is no longer one person's garage project. Its has grown far beyond that and has 100s of contributors.
...what?
Hahah yeah, what are you on about Evrett? Maybe a few people on the entire planet have actually seen the source code. Otherwise it is just Toady. Another group contribute third party tools and mods, but their power is pretty limited.

Edit: Just remembered this . . .
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dude just added performance art, knowledge, deity worship and alcohol poisoning (among other things) to his procedural fantasy world generator. If this isn't progress, then Rome was a bunk empire for not being built in a day.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:39:02 pm by Ysyua »
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 08:40:47 pm »

In the entire history of DF, only about two or three people's contributions have made it into vanilla. I think they were very early in the development, too. The most anybody can do to affect vanilla is help find bugs and suggest.

This truly is one (or two, don't forget Threetoe) person's project.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2015, 09:03:06 pm »

The last time I remember any of our contributions making it into vanilla was when Toady picked up some corrections to gemstone material definitions and that was years ago

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2015, 10:23:48 pm »

Maybe he meant the plethora of 3rd party utilities that most consider essential to play.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2015, 11:17:23 pm »

Maybe he meant the plethora of 3rd party utilities that most consider essential to play.

I'm positive that's what is intended too. But those people can't touch the core game—it's off limits. 3rd party utilities didn't do world activation, multi-tile trees, fruit gathering or the emotion rewrite.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »

Lack of progress? What there has been a metric shit tonne of progress.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2015, 09:44:48 am »

I'm still laughing that he thinks that somehow this indie game, being developed by two people living off of donations, somehow magically got the amount of developers of a triple A title....
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2015, 10:02:07 am »

I'm still laughing that he thinks that somehow this indie game, being developed by two people living off of donations, somehow magically got the amount of developers of a triple A title....
That said, it's an impressive amount of donations they're getting.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2015, 12:55:53 pm »

While one can criticize DF for many reasons, this particular tidbit is complete, utter nonsense. No, third party programs does not count. There is only one programmer of vanilia DF and it always will be, period.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2015, 01:06:47 pm »

Unless my memory betrays me, i remember Baughn contributed with the opengl side of things.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »

Out of all the excuses for DF problems this is the one that bugs me the most. DF is no longer one person's garage project. Its has grown far beyond that and has 100s of contributors.
Yup. And a big fancy high-rise office with a panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay, and satellite campuses in major cities all over the world, and a fleet of professional full-time salespeople, and prominent self display space in all of the most important stores...

You cant stuff the jack back in the box every time you want to excuse lack of progress.
What the eff does this even mean?
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2015, 02:22:00 pm »

Unless my memory betrays me, i remember Baughn contributed with the opengl side of things.
Yes, but that was exception and even that was only one-time thing, not on permanent basis. Certainly nowhere claimed "hundred of contributors". And I doubt Toady will get anyone new like Baughn any time soon.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2015, 02:29:44 pm »

Baughn? Who was that?

Also, what about that guy who gave Toady all the real-world values for materials?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »

That's who I was thinking of!

You cant stuff the jack back in the box every time you want to excuse lack of progress.
What the eff does this even mean?
Apparently, we attempt to sing and shove jacks-in-the-box every time we want to excuse lack of progress.

NINJA'D EDIT:

Yeah, Baughn and that guy, that's who I was talking about. Those people who looked up things like the melting point of schist and the density of saguaro "trees".

EDIT AGAIN:

Found the thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80022.0

Apparently, bay12forums is the leader in saguaro density calculations, for that thread is the first when you search (in Google) for "saguaro wood density"!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:34:53 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6