Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Torrenal's .42 Musings on Dorfyness  (Read 1852 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Torrenal's .42 Musings on Dorfyness
« on: December 04, 2015, 11:07:40 pm »

I've spent some time peeking at error reports, did some playing with the game, and have come up with my own summary of things in this new release that are noteworthy, and generally Dorfy.  Generally, bugged (or at lest reported as bugged, not all verified when I went looking), but many of them are Dorfy at the same time and perhaps good for others to be wary about.

• You can declare temples
  • which your dwarves will worship at.
  • ...and worship...
  • ...and worship...
  • ...and you probably get the idea.
  • You can declare libraries, and put books in...
  • ..where thieves calling themselves scholars will enter to abscond with your books
  • You can declare pubs...
  • ...that need a 2 drink limit for cats
  • ...and which are very very famous!  People will stream in, braving entire sieges single-handed just to have a sip of aged Dwarven Ale
  • Dwarves are now eschew armor, and will wear at most one piece of it (cod-piece, please)
  • They also will hide swords on their person if told to carry them.  Just don't ask where they keep the sword, its not in their missing armor, and they arn't carrying it in any hands, but they do have it... somewhere.

Again, they wern't all confirmed, I'm mostly just making the list for my own amusement, but hopefully someone gets a kick out of it or finds something they've been scratching their head over.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torrenal's .42 Musings on Dorfyness
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 11:10:45 pm »

I got a giggle out of it.

Armour seems to work if you select it specifically (no uniforms for you) but yeah. That one is annoying when you have nasties around.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:29:36 pm »

I suppose I should add a vew of the other solutions:
* Un-define temples that have religous zealots you need back at work
* Confine cats (and probably any other small critter) to your stockpiles.
* Set your library to allow only Citizens/Long-Term residents (there IS a setting for this).  Haven't tested it, but I assume unwelcome peeps can't steal your goodies.
* Have lots of slabs ready for sieges, you might need to place a few for visitors that can't make it in.
 Oh, and.
* If you see a nude swordman walking around, don't ask if he has a sword.   Just... don't.

//Torrenal

Darkwood71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:40:12 am »

I remember someone else saying something about the armor, and then I ran into it myself the other day. Is there any work-around for this? I'm not quite sure what FortunaDraken means by selecting it specifically (???).

EDIT: Oh, and to add to the discussion. My liaisons (when they show up) like to hang out with my dwarfs (usually in the tavern) for the whole year, and then magically disappears right before the next caravan shows up. I hope I'm not feeding that slacker.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:42:17 am by Darkwood71 »

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:56:48 am »

When assigning armor, instead of choosing things like 'high boots', choose 'specific shoes'.  Then, in theory the dwarf will use the shoes you select.  The bug report I'd read suggested this would ojnly work with one item, and I'm hearing otherwise, so your mileage may vary.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:05:35 am »

I tried assigning specific items (apart from weapon and shield) with no luck.

Darkwood71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 04:24:47 am »

Ahhh. Thank you for the information.