Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get dwarves to store/use mugs in Dining Room?  (Read 51298 times)

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get dwarves to store/use mugs in Dining Room?
« on: December 05, 2015, 06:27:35 am »

So, dwarves now want to actually drink from mugs.  This is a good change.  But how do I get them to keep the mugs in the dining hall?

I've made a bunch of mugs, put down some coffers in the hall, and put a food/drink stockpile a floor down (with quick-access stairways), but I'm not seeing any mugs being stored in the coffers.  Do I need a close-by stockpile especially for mugs, or something?

EDIT:  They don't seem to be using any mugs, either:  a lot of them have the 'annoyed from having to drink without a mug/goblet' tag.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:06:04 am by RadtheCad »
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get dwarves to store/use mugs in Dining Room?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:15:10 am »

Have you tried putting a mug stockpile in the dining room?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 08:02:58 am »

Coffers need to be in a tavern zone. IDK if they work with dining rooms, but they're certainly not going to work out in the hallway.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:15:33 am »

A mug stockpile in the dining room fixed the problem.  Thanks, Skorp.
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 09:33:31 pm »

Yeah I was confused by the instructions to use a "chest full of mugs" or whatever.  I eventually used a stockpile for all mugs and, once put in a bin, they started counting toward the tavern stocks, I think.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:59:01 am »

I tried placing a chest in the dining hall, and that did nothing. I then converted the dining hall into a tavern via the 'l' expansion (from the table defining the dining hall), and the chest was then filled with cups. I haven't seen anyone use the cups yet, but I haven't looked that closely.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 04:43:24 am »

Is there any real reason now to not make a dining hall into a tavern if it's large enough for booze storage to begin with?
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 06:14:07 am »

I don't know of any. Also note that as far as I understand the tavern/temple/library logic you can add zones to your facilities, so it should be possible to have a tavern with the meeting hall as the basis and rooms elsewhere defined as parts of that same inn, and it ought to be possible to do the same with zones covering stockpiles (my fortress is too small as yet for me to get to guest rooms to try it out).

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 09:56:53 am »

It'd probably be a good idea to report this tweak. It makes sense to have the mugs in the dining hall inside a coffer, I guess.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 02:13:17 pm »

So...Are dwarves intended to use the mugs in the tavern coffer? I set my dinning hall to a tavern, but I've seen most of my dwarves just take mugs from my stockpiles rather than the coffers inside the tavern/dining hall...

I have a tavern keeper there with no labors, so he's on call 24/7 - but I have yet to see him actually do anything but socialize. Am I missing something here?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 02:52:16 pm »

I didn't get the buggers to use the meeting hall/tavern until I made a booze stockpiles within the tavern area. I considered just adding the main booze stockpile to the tavern, but I suspect they'd just continue to use the previous behavior, i.e. go there to drink. I've got a tavern keeper with other duties, but haven't seen any tavern work performed.
I've also added an empty zone to the tavern, and that seems to have satisfied the demand for a dance floor (went from yellow text to white).

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 03:14:33 pm »

Yeah, the booze stockpile in the tavern seems to have done the trick. People are actually getting satisfied with hanging around people, and the keeper is busy passing around drinks.

Does the game say anything about setting the stockpile up? I feel like that should be included in the tavern's upkeep screen somewhere.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:20 am »

Nope. We have to figure out ourselves that a bar needs booze...
My next step will be to try to make a quantum stockpile for the booze, since I want all the 20+ booze variants to be on tap. Don't know if it works, though, since booze barrels have been quirky with QS' in the past.

Apostolos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:41:04 pm »

I am still having problems with this.   I do not use a 'tavern' in my dining hall.  I do have a mug stockpile.  My problem is that the dwarves go to the stockpile, grab a mug, run to the next room where the barrels of booze are stored, drink something and then just drop the mug on the ground.  Eventually mugs are littered on the floor of my food stockpile causing other dwarves to clean up after others by eventually picking up mugs.  So for like 10 dwarves, I end up having to have like 20-25 mugs just keep them in the dining hall enough so others don't get upset that they do not have anything to drink out of.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:03 pm »

I don't keep any mug stockpiles anywhere in the fortress.  Sure, they leave mugs everywhere, but they only use about half as many mugs as dwarves (the rest stay stacked at the craftdwarf workshop) and they never complain that they don't have mugs.
Pages: [1] 2