Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to get dwarves to store/use mugs in Dining Room?  (Read 51273 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: How to get dwarves to store/use mugs in Dining Room?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 06:16:47 am »

^. I don't consider a still to be proper until there is a mug sitting in the center tile.

Having mugs be dropped where booze is is most efficient for using them, ultimately.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 07:48:30 am »

Yes, mugs ought to be where the booze is, to minimize the distance from mug to barrel.

A couple of other comments:
- Mugs stored in a chest in the tavern seem to be restricted to serving personnel usage, so all essential (i.e. non social) drinking needs access to mugs not owned by the tavern.
- A booze QS does not work, as barrels frequently become owned by the feeder stockpile, and thus are hauled back to it from the target in an endless hauling cycle.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 09:36:23 am »

However, you can use stills as stockpiles, and pre-minecart water and pathing based qsps should perhaps work as well.

Granted, there are reasons why not to rely exclusively on this (all thristy dwarves will path to the center of still), but alcohol doesn't go bad.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 07:32:31 pm »

Hmm... Sounds like you have too many mugs, potentially.  Assuming you don't have a tavern, dwarfs drink twice a month.  I'm not sure how long a drinking task takes, but let's say it is half a day to keep the math easy.  There are 28 days in a month, which means that all of your dwarfs will take 1 drink every 14 days (on average) and there are 28 "drinking slots" (i.e. times when dwarfs might be drinking at the same time).  If you have 28 dwarfs, then on average you will have 1 mug in use at all times.  If you have 280 dwarfs, then on average you will have 10 mugs in use at all times.

Obviously there is a chance that all of your dwarfs will want to drink at the same time, but that  probability is vanishingly small.  I don't feel like doing the statistics, and it's not going to be completely random anyway.  However, imagine the case with 28 dwarfs.  On average 1 mug will be in use at all time.  There is a reasonable probability that 2 will be in use, less that 3 will be in use, etc until we get to a very near 0 probability that all 28 dwarfs will be drinking at the same time. 

In practice, I make 5 or 10 mugs, which usually lasts me until 100 dwarfs.  I rarely play with more than that.  Note that you may need more mugs if you have a tavern, but I just realised that limiting mugs will limit the amount of alcohol your tavern keepers can serve and will reduce the number of deaths by alcohol poisoning.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 10:23:06 pm »

Extrapolating from what PatrickLundall said above, you can however many mugs you want; tavern keepers will use only how many you've given to tavern. Though I imagine they won't be using more than twice the number of tavern keepers if you have anybody to go to tavern.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »

I think you are right.  Which presumably means that you can strictly limit the amount of alcohol served by assigning only a single mug to the tavern.  I may have to test that out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 06:47:30 pm »

I think you are right.  Which presumably means that you can strictly limit the amount of alcohol served by assigning only a single mug to the tavern.  I may have to test that out.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]