Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.02 Released  (Read 39855 times)

capSAR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.02 Released
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 07:45:06 pm »

Can someone take a look at AnnoucementWindow.exe? Every time it comes up as a Trojan but I know it's probably a false positive. Thanks for the update though!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 07:52:12 pm »

You might also need that fix on some 32-bit distros, not just 64-bit ones.

Well, this is just silly.

export LD_PRELOAD="$(find /{,usr/}lib{32,} -name libz.so.1 | head -n 1)"
This seems likely

Can someone take a look at AnnoucementWindow.exe? Every time it comes up as a Trojan but I know it's probably a false positive. Thanks for the update though!

From where? There's no file called "AnnouncementWindow.exe" in the DF distribution.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 08:14:00 pm »

That's a third-party utility that Toady doesn't distribute. You should ask the person you obtained it from (probably either the utility's maintainer or a pack author).

Regarding library issues on Linux, there's a fairly well-maintained script here, although it would take a little work to be usable with DF without a LNP from what I recall.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

waveclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 12:32:31 am »

That's a third-party utility that Toady doesn't distribute. You should ask the person you obtained it from (probably either the utility's maintainer or a pack author).

Regarding library issues on Linux, there's a fairly well-maintained script here, although it would take a little work to be usable with DF without a LNP from what I recall.

I haven't rebuilt the RPM packages of 42.x for Fedora, openSuSE or .deb files for Ubuntu, Debian yet.  Waiting on a fairly stable copy after some of the bugs are worked out. 

Relocating Dwarf Fortress into the expected Linuxy paths required me to provide a custom launcher.  The static libz was part of it (dwarffortress --zlib option if you used my RPM.)

Even with zlib I still had to create a binary diff to patch out the mouse.png file to make working Linux packages.  Pretty crazy stuff, binary patches.

The package I made only provide vanilla. I do not package LNP or any mods.  I'd need an actual license from Today to distribute them through something like build.opensuse.org.  As it is I just publish source files to the packages on the forums for others to use.   (Without the license to do so the Open Build Service people would pull the packages and likely ban my account.  And I certainly don't want to cut into any FUNding.)

Idea for the idea thread: I wonder if Today wouldn't mind providing users with a dwarffortress-support script to run and report our OS flavor and relevant hardware for bug reports?  A lot of vendors do so.  (I would love to know what the user-platform breakdown is just based on client headers for the download link before doing something like AUR support.)

Quality bug reports lead to quality fixes: the better the information the faster the resolution.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:33 am »

Idea for the idea thread: I wonder if Today wouldn't mind providing users with a dwarffortress-support script to run and report our OS flavor and relevant hardware for bug reports?  A lot of vendors do so.  (I would love to know what the user-platform breakdown is just based on client headers for the download link before doing something like AUR support.)

Considering the low number of Arch users, and that the instructions for installing AUR packages start with "Any use of the provided files is at your own risk", followed by "Carefully check the PKGBUILD and any .install file for malicious commands." and 14 pages worth of instructions, I don't expect a Dwarf Fortress AUR package to be hugely popular.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 04:09:54 am »

Praise Armok!!!
And a huge thank-you Toady!
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 05:31:10 pm »

Is anyone else getting crashes on time progression now? Stuff like sleeping.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 07:18:17 pm »

I haven't had any issues, however I haven't tried playing as an adventurer recently.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:10 pm »

At Mantis DF bugtracker you can fill your OS details. Not sure there is any easy way to get to some data for a graph of used platforms.

The other may be asking Toady to post how many are which versions downloaded.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 09:07:39 pm »

At Mantis DF bugtracker you can fill your OS details. Not sure there is any easy way to get to some data for a graph of used platforms.

The other may be asking Toady to post how many are which versions downloaded.
I think waveclaw is more interested in that information for diagnostics in specific bug reports than statistics. Anyway, I don't know how helpful that information would be, aside from what can be entered in the bug tracker - now that libgraphics is fairly stable, the vast majority of bugs that vary across platforms only depend on the specific DF build (platform and SDL vs. Legacy).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 10:32:10 am »

I haven't had any issues, however I haven't tried playing as an adventurer recently.
It's already on the bug tracker, so it looks like it is an adventure mode bug.

And until this update I never noticed how many invasions necromancers launch. I generated a world that has a human civ and a necromancer tower on an isolated island, and the attacks are nonstop.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 12:34:29 pm »

My first attempt at a world gen actually worked on 42.02 (Linux)!  Yay!

Looking through the world_sites_and_pops.txt file, all of the horse population figures seem to be multiplied by 100.  (I know others have reported similar results.)  Here's one example:

19: Kilrud<8B>lun, "Bronzehail", fortress
        Owner: The Net of Flashes, dwarves
        Parent Civ: The Eternal Oars, dwarves
        106 humans
        96 dwarves
        22 goblins
        30 dogs
        21 cats
        2600 horses
        3 chickens
        10 ducks
        12 geese
        26 blue peafowls
        4 human outcasts
        4 dwarf outcasts
        1 elf outcast
        3 goblin outcasts
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 04:12:52 pm »

My first attempt at a world gen actually worked on 42.02 (Linux)!  Yay!

Looking through the world_sites_and_pops.txt file, all of the horse population figures seem to be multiplied by 100.  (I know others have reported similar results.)  Here's one example:

19: Kilrud<8B>lun, "Bronzehail", fortress
        Owner: The Net of Flashes, dwarves
        Parent Civ: The Eternal Oars, dwarves
        106 humans
        96 dwarves
        22 goblins
        30 dogs
        21 cats
        2600 horses
        3 chickens
        10 ducks
        12 geese
        26 blue peafowls
        4 human outcasts
        4 dwarf outcasts
        1 elf outcast
        3 goblin outcasts

Great, so in short, horses are now counted in percents? Missed that in changelist.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 04:27:28 pm »

That's not a multiplication by 100, that's a bug. Not percents, but probably reproducing so much they hit a cap. Likely came from the fix to goblins eating their beak dogs to extinction: dwarves don't use mounts, but horses are technically mounts.

Idea: remove [MOUNT] from horses, or duplicate and remove [MOUNT] and give to dwarves. See if they spread like mad. Profit.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 04:47:04 pm »

That's not a multiplication by 100, that's a bug. Not percents, but probably reproducing so much they hit a cap.

Well of course it's a bug.  I'm just trying to analyze the behavior.  If it's a cap, then it's a variable cap by site.

Other sites:

Spoiler: "Blockadefeed", hamlet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Youthdays", hamlet (click to show/hide)

You see?  I might expect to see 6 horses in the hamlet of Youthdays, but there are 600.  The number is always a multiple of 100, and subjectively it's about 100x as high as one would expect based on other animals in the same site (except maybe in the elven forest retreat).

And check out the goblins:

The trolls, ogres and beak dogs may also have "horse syndrome".  4600 of each is a suspiciously round number.  Granted, there are a lot of goblins in that dark fortress.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5