Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.02 Released  (Read 39694 times)

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.02 Released
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 02:14:05 pm »

Spoiler: Volcano Eruption (click to show/hide)
A volcano eruption ... next to a goblin site  :). The question is, is this a new feature, or a worldgen bug ?
EDIT: Spoiler Syntax Error
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:17:13 pm by Purple Gorilla »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »

Yeah, that's handled, and one case of playable horses, though I have no idea what's up with playable dogs/donkeys yet.  Next release will probably be Saturdayish.
Tell me, do canine or asinine adventurers tend to be musically inclined? Are cats and roosters likely to join them? Do they value cunning and upholding the law?  :P
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2015, 05:31:29 pm »

Are fistfights supposed to be crimes? Right now they seem to be ignored by the justice system. Is this intentional? Asking because I don't want to make a bug report about something that might be a temporary feature.
DF wiki doesn't list fistfights as a crime, unless they are caused by tantruming dwarves. If you are not sure something is a bug, go report it. In the worse case you will be sent to Suggestions section of this forum.

It's not listed because we only ever had tantrum fights before...now there is actual random/tavern fights so I would imagine it would be a crime similar to tantrum assaults

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »

Can someone explain to me what are those "values" for creatures and/or civilizations, and how the writing can affect the game?

Why someone would need a temple and such? Happiness boost? That's all?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2015, 06:34:06 pm »

more than a "boost". if the dwarves don't have anywhere to pray, socialize/party, or read then they start to develop negative thoughts which can lead to tantrums when combined with other stressors. Definitely a necessity...the library/tavern/temple combo has essentially replaced "idle" time and dwarves will prefer to do those things instead of just stand around idle.

Values are simply ideas that dwarves have...IE believing hard work is good or prefering peace over war.

Books can be written on topics and those include values. When a dwarf reads a book about values they will start to take on the values of the books...IE a book about working hard will make dwarves value hard work more.

The rate these values transfer or the chance that they even do is not something I know...I imagine there will needs to be extensive amounts of science done on the topic before we have solid answer

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 06:38:12 pm »

Ooh, another pair of old bugs got squished, it seems: 1598, "Enemy squads will never abandon their caged leader" with 4552, "Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders"! Thanks, Toady.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 07:24:56 pm »

Why someone would need a temple and such? Happiness boost? That's all?

As dennislp3 says, the new locations are essential to fulfilling your dwarves' inner needs.  You can probably do without a library (unless Science indicates otherwise), but a temple and a tavern are both pretty critical.  A significant number of your dwarves will worship a deity, and will need a place to pray, or they will start to become upset.  I'm not as clear on how the tavern works, but it allows performance art (music, dance, poetry recitals) that definitely improves moods.

The library allows you to produce and copy written works, if you want to pursue that.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 07:08:46 am »

Coming here for the first time in a few weeks, I didn't get the chance to post in the 40.01 topic, so I'll do it here.

Quote from: Toady One
Animal people are playable as adventurers
BAM!

Quote from: Toady One
Alcohol causes inebriation, erratic behavior, unconsciousness, death
...you are not suggesting... that dwarves... will want... to drink... w-w-water?

Edit: Also, why does this thread not have a notify button?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:11:37 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Harry Blargle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2015, 05:16:06 am »

I have a (possible) issue with 2 of my human visitors. They both started out as 'lady consort'. They are residents of the fortress but not full members, one of them as a performer the other a mercenary. Recently they both became 'lady' instead. Now they make production demands and set mandates like real nobles. They don't show up on the noble screen and they haven't demanded bigger or better rooms though. Is that supposed to happen?

Another issue I've had is that when all dwarves are busy, farm plots that need harvesting always interrupt the first dwarf on the unit list. This means that dwarf, my miner, spends most of his time walking between the mine and the farm instead of doing his job. If dwarves are idle it picks them instead but most of the time it's the miner that gets called to harvest.

My last issue is that hair thread still isn't stockpiled. Instead it just piles up in the workshop. Please add it to the cloth/thread stockpile already.

Other than that the new version is great. The visitors are coming and doing stuff. My scholar is writing a lot. Good fun.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2015, 07:27:36 am »

Visiting nobles making demands has been fixed as of next update. Coming 'about Saturday!'.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:25 am »

Another issue I've had is that when all dwarves are busy, farm plots that need harvesting always interrupt the first dwarf on the unit list. This means that dwarf, my miner, spends most of his time walking between the mine and the farm instead of doing his job. If dwarves are idle it picks them instead but most of the time it's the miner that gets called to harvest.
Change your standing ordrs for farming to "Only Farmers Harvest" with
Code: [Select]
[o]-[h] More in wiki.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

DwarfCon5

• Bay Watcher
  • Over and Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2015, 09:36:54 pm »

*seeds/nuts now pickable

Yo! When are you releasing the next bug fix? For your pleasure! Thank you!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2015, 09:51:08 pm »

he has mentioned a few times that it should be tomorrow (saturday)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2015, 02:32:52 am »

Those us of in more advanced parts of the world have to wait until Sunday though. ;)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2015, 04:05:39 am »

Those us of in more advanced parts of the world have to wait until Sunday though. ;)
rekt
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5