Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another use for taverns  (Read 1863 times)

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
Another use for taverns
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:27:48 pm »

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Would it be smart to build a tavern say... Right next to a fortress entrance? Like some extra form of defense, or at least something to delay a wave of whatevers, especially if among drunkards, poets and such there are also mercenaries.
"Quiet... I'M TRYING TO SNEAK UP ON THEM!"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Another use for taverns
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »

Some players do that, yes.

The main downside is that if some of them get bitten by werebeasts you can't direct them to be walled in easily. Also, they won't be very dangerous if you have stripped them of weapons beforehand.

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:50:22 pm »

Some players do that, yes.

The main downside is that if some of them get bitten by werebeasts you can't direct them to be walled in easily. Also, they won't be very dangerous if you have stripped them of weapons beforehand.
Oh the werebeasts. Am still a bit miffed about that one werechameleon.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:23:26 pm »

If you do that, make the entrance to your fort/tavern underground or above ground with no roof.  Then the inevitable vomit piles will eventually be cleaned or washed away by the rain.  I once put a roof over the walkway to my tavern so that my dwarfs wouldn't get rained on while they were one the way for a pint.  Big mistake.

Slightly unrelated, in the same fort I had a dwarf bathtub at the entrance.  Eventually it got filled with blood and I decided that since I had no way to drain it properly I would just cover it over with flooring.  The bathtub was right next to the tavern entrance.  After I finished flooring it over, I realised I was missing one dwarf.  After an investigation, I discovered him asleep under the floorboards in a pool of cherry wine :-).

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 05:05:31 am »

If you do that, make the entrance to your fort/tavern underground or above ground with no roof.  Then the inevitable vomit piles will eventually be cleaned or washed away by the rain.  I once put a roof over the walkway to my tavern so that my dwarfs wouldn't get rained on while they were one the way for a pint.  Big mistake.

Slightly unrelated, in the same fort I had a dwarf bathtub at the entrance.  Eventually it got filled with blood and I decided that since I had no way to drain it properly I would just cover it over with flooring.  The bathtub was right next to the tavern entrance.  After I finished flooring it over, I realised I was missing one dwarf.  After an investigation, I discovered him asleep under the floorboards in a pool of cherry wine :-).

Thank you for the tip!
And I bet that dwarf panicked and drank himself to sleep.