Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49629 times)

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2016, 04:23:10 pm »

My requirements are as follows:
Managed to get close to everything except the marble, I think. (but there's chalk for flux)
However, stone layers are 116-96 (21Z, inclusive) from bottom of first stone layer (below soil) to top of caverns (caverns start at 95) so if that's a dealbreaker, let me know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sadly, yeah, it's a bit of a dealbreaker, cause that means I need to construct the bottom of the magma pool inside the first cavern, which means lots of digging out and lots more construction, all while the cavern Fun pours in. If you hadn't guessed, I'm planning on re-doing Roadhouse again.

If no-one else comes up with something better, I'll give it a shot, but I prefer having the whole fortress carved, not constructed.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2016, 10:08:33 am »

What is the most dangerous possible worldgen for fortress mode? I mean, as dangerous as possible while still having the 4 major civilization types (human, elf, dwarf, goblin) exist in the world.

I am more interested in dangerous enemies, rather than some evil dust that simply kills/cripples my dwarves without additional !FUN!. Reanimating dust is still good, I guess.

If you need more details, I'd sure want a world where I'm likely to be attacked by dragons and/or rocs and some other surface megabeasts. In most of my games, I only get goblins, forgotten beasts, and maybe some werebeasts at some point. I'd prefer that the invading goblins have some kind of mounts, too. If I can have the same fun and biodiversity with only 2 cavern layers instead of 3, that would be a bonus.

If you need me to be even more specific, I prefer an embark, where:
* I have at least some trees on the surface.
* There's at least one type of weapon-grade metal.
* There's sand.
* A big part of the map is not an aquifer.
* I have neighbour civilizations of every type. Having a neighbouring tower is good, too, I guess.

TL;DR - A worldgen as dangerous as possible, in terms of enemies. I don't insist on all the details.

Thanks in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:34:40 am by n4m3l3ss »

CEHA

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud to be Ukrainian
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2016, 09:19:51 am »

I generate maps 2 days this is result:.

SMALL REGION
Forest: Joyous Wilds
Mountain: Untamed Wilds
Temperature: Temperate
Trees: Heavily Forested
Other Vegetation: Thick

Sand, Clay
Shallow metals
Deep metals
Flux stone layer
Brook
Volcano

Excellent surface for Defense

In year 42 nearby Tower

Civilized World Population after 500 years of history:

Minerals info:

WORLD GEN:

Generate a long time because a lot of living creatures:
titans, giants, dragons, trolls, rocs, vampires etc.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:33:15 pm by CEHA »

CEHA

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud to be Ukrainian
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2016, 12:51:49 pm »

A few words about how I generate the map.
Since I'm not the only one who generates the map longer than the plays dedicated to :)

First - the standard generation does not suit me:
Biome
Savagery
Neighbors

To generate forests, swamps, deserts, and other use PerfectWorldDF - the program is written for people and no problems

To find stable worlds Notepad ++ - simply the best around.

According steps:
1- GO to Google and search for "height map texture"
2- Run PerfectWorldDF
3- Operating documentation, this is the most easy - takes 10 minutes
4- Create a map
5- Run the bat file http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Command_line
6- GO smoking / tea / coffee / beer / whiskey
7- We are looking for a file using Notepad++ worlds where all lives
8- Music "Okean Elzy" Rock is live
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:16:37 am by CEHA »

CEHA

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud to be Ukrainian
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:22 pm »

DELETE PLS
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:49:20 pm by CEHA »

TeeJeepie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:14 am »

Hi Everyone, I'm currently getting familiar with the advanced side of creating worlds but I'm struggling to generate a exciting world consistently.

What i mean by this is basically this. A param set that can consistently produce a medium/small sized world with good proportions of savage,evil,good with all civs (maybe with a slightly larger goblin mix), and a nice mix of major biomes and include all the other fun stuff ie. Volcanoes, Towers and Dragons.

If anyone uses one like this please please share with me...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2016, 11:42:31 am »

Hi Everyone, I'm currently getting familiar with the advanced side of creating worlds but I'm struggling to generate a exciting world consistently.

What i mean by this is basically this. A param set that can consistently produce a medium/small sized world with good proportions of savage,evil,good with all civs (maybe with a slightly larger goblin mix), and a nice mix of major biomes and include all the other fun stuff ie. Volcanoes, Towers and Dragons.

If anyone uses one like this please please share with me...
Couple of points.
Are you looking for a world for fortress mode, adventure mode, or both?
From your description, the default worldgens (not the advanced ones) will produce what you're looking for.
If there's something specific missing from the default worldgens that you want, describe that and we'll work from there.

As I've described elsewhere in this thread and other older worldgen threads, if the only reason to have a volcano is access to magma, there are better, easier ways that don't have the negative impact of a volcano.  True, sometimes a volcano is required for certain mega-projects, but that aside, access to magma for forges can be accomplished trivially.
To get a lot of towers requires lots and lots of civs.  To embark near a tower in a 33 or 65 sized world (small/medium) can be problematic given the number of civs required.  If you want towers everywhere, so there's always one nearby to embark next to as a neighbor, you'll end up increasing civs to the point where it impacts performance, and/or generation time is extraordinarily long.
A single dragon can wipe out all civs in a single pocket world, given enough time, no matter how many civs there are.  In fact, it's quite rare NOT to see this happen.
If you make the world larger, then the dragon may not have any impact, simply because it wipes out all the civs in an area and then stops.  However, a larger world, again, has significant performance consequences.
In pocket worlds, everyone can reach everyone else, most of the time.  This makes embarkation locations easier to find, but with the above caveats in mind.

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2016, 08:43:37 pm »

I can never find an embark spot that has reanimation and goblin invaders in an inhospitable glacier/desert/tundra.  Am I just getting unlucky or do I need to custom generate a world?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2016, 11:33:20 pm »

I can never find an embark spot that has reanimation and goblin invaders in an inhospitable glacier/desert/tundra.  Am I just getting unlucky or do I need to custom generate a world?
Check out the worlds in this post.  They should have what you're looking for, or at least, lead you in the right direction.  Reanimation is never guaranteed, it's one of many possible randomly generated evil biome effects.  Those two worlds both have reanimating biomes, though. 

The glacier/desert/tundra is possible, too.  Actually, I just remembered, I was doing some super-hot/super-cold biome testing, and found one with re-animating and so much cold damage, the re-animated undead where killed in just a few ticks.  :o

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2016, 10:50:54 am »

Thanks.  Read the posts and I saw only 2 of 3 requirements... hard to get 3 of 3.  But Im encouraged to learn more about it.  Tried generating my own worlds, and playing around with dfhack.

CEHA

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud to be Ukrainian
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2016, 11:32:21 am »

Check out the worlds in this post.  They should have what you're looking for, or at least, lead you in the right direction.  Reanimation is never guaranteed, it's one of many possible randomly generated evil biome effects.  Those two worlds both have reanimating biomes, though. 

The glacier/desert/tundra is possible, too.  Actually, I just remembered, I was doing some super-hot/super-cold biome testing, and found one with re-animating and so much cold damage, the re-animated undead where killed in just a few ticks.  :o
I don't like maps where:

[MEGABEAST_CAP:0]
   [SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:0]
   [TITAN_NUMBER:0]
   [DEMON_NUMBER:0]
   [NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:0]
   [BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:0]
   [VAMPIRE_NUMBER:0]
   [WEREBEAST_NUMBER:0]
   [SECRET_NUMBER:0]
   [REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:15]
   [DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:1]
   [EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:1]
   [EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:0]
   [GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2016, 10:08:48 pm »

Everything is trivial except the iron, as it would need to be adjacent to and in the same tile as the volcano.  This rules out magnetite (and I think limonite?), but permits hematite, at least.

Love your work vjek. This thread (and the others like it) have saved me many hours over the years.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2016, 02:12:31 pm »

So here's my recent !science! - what is the maximum number of megabeasts I can have in a medium world, while still having all major civilizations? And a tower somewhere.

Granted, I changed some parameters to begin with(like SECRET_NUMBER, SAVAGERY_RANGES), because I'm inherently interested in fun.

So given my current seed and parameters for a medium world, it's like:
185 megabeasts
105 semimegabeasts
105 titans

Here are the full parameters:

Funny thing is, if I have the same settings but only 2 cavern layers, then I can increase the number of (semi)megabeasts and still have the civs survive.

Version for 2 cavern layers:

Last tested on version 42.06 for Linux.

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2016, 11:03:03 am »

can I have a embark with
- sand, clay, and soil
- river or lake
- fair amount of vegetation
- neutral surroundings
- no enemies (i.e. no other civs, no megabeast, etc.)
- OK climate
- no aquifer

bonus points for:
- having volcano or easily accessible magma source
- located in valley, canyon, or any other awesome geographical feature
- having waterfall or 2 bodies of water in different z level
- shallow and deep metal
- smaller than 5x5 embark size
- no wereanimal/vampire

the point is, I want to push dwarven industry to its limit without having to consider large or any military

thanks!
and this is something that shows up below your post

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:03 pm »

can I have a embark with ...
This worldgen and these two embarks may get you pretty close, Tarsius.
And if not, just remove the seeds and regenerate and you should find what you're looking for pretty quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13