Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49619 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2016, 02:15:50 pm »

Yes. Note however that the general case for minimum X is a rejection & regen parameter with actual number of X uncontrollable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:17:47 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2016, 09:51:46 am »

It could display the location in region/world area, though :p

....I discovered a curious thing on generating open-air caverns by embarking several times on top of same volcano with switched area:

Volcanoes - magma pool height and it's obsidian encasing is generated the moment you embark, not before. Should you disable BOTTOM LAYER (FORCES MAGMA), I've found volcanoes to be empty of magma unless you put the volcano into upper left corner of embark selection. This way you can consistently get caverns with hole from magma sea to sky in the middle.

Mind you, the worldgens between bottom yes and bottom no didn't use exact same maps, but the behaviour is consistent enough. This gives potentially another reason to turn off spoilers, should you not mind a map that is probably not flat. 
This is amazing !!Science!! which did not get enough attention.

I just tested it in a 43.03 world for adventuring (where hell is much less important) and confirmed this behavior: leave travel mode a tile northwest of a volcano and walk to it on foot and it will be open to the caverns, walk past it going southeast until it unloads and return on foot and it will be filled.

Excellent work!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2016, 10:16:16 am »

After running an iterative test for scorching/hot/warm forest near hot pole with 5-step rainfall variance and 9,5 step drainage variance.....I got only tropical moist forest with temperate forest towards the cold pole.

Now, it is a question...but it is worldgen discussion also, so I'm putting it here for now: How do you generate Tropical Dry Broadleaf Forest in a given position?

(It's the only biome for some brewables, while others not found in it can be found in more easily generated tropical savanna and tropical grassland and temperate grassland.)

PS: Thanks, Max™. I'm not sure if I will ever actually use that finding tbh - maybe in animal training combat fort? - but it is pretty neat.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:19:05 am by Fleeting Frames »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2016, 07:30:48 pm »

Would really like a 129x129 world with at least one site with clay/kaolinite and relatively easy-to-access magma that's mostly flat.  I'd like it to support all the races if possible.  Wood is appreciated but not absolutely necessary.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2016, 05:07:24 am »

Hey guys, just coming back into the game from a long break. I know you must get this all the time, but I'm looking for a small world with large goblin populations, which will attack me, often. Only other requirement is that the world/site has iron, preferably with a healthy dwarf civ.

It would also be cool if there was a site with cool topography, high minerals, no flowing water, no aquifers, but with water in the caverns. All this is just gravy though :)

Every time I try to gen such a world, my dwarf civ is dying, or everything seems fine but then I never get more than 0-1 sieges.

Any help (or a point in the right direction) would be greatly appreciated

*paints*

Ooh, this is interesting generation-wise. With mostly same general landscape elevation mesh, goblins tend to appear in same place every time, so long as megabeast caves are unaltered. They seem to use some kind of stockpile logic for placement.

Anyway,  I found an interesting world that fulfils most of those criteria (sadly, the entire non-mountainous world is aquifers somehow). Dwarves, humans, kobolds, iron, flux, no flowing water, water in caverns, aquifer everywhere.

Interesting how?

Kobolds own a dwarven hillock and human halmet (only single-digit pop each though, with 36 kobolds in the world total).

Also, half the goblins (2670) live in single dwarf fortress with 727 beak dogs, trolls and ogres.

Most of the other half (2253) live in a human town, so if you want you can get sieged by goblins twice a year with appropriate embark placement.

Incrementing mineral frequency and letting it run for longer can have similar results (though more often megabeast wipes out dwarves - iirc this one had dwarves die out completely in 370 or so?), expect in scale - I've seen 22k goblins split between human town and dark fortress.

There's one downside, though. I named the worldgen "The Last Unicorn", but the joyous wild temperate broadleaf forest never overlaps with human-reachable areas, though there certainly are unicorns according to region-pops list-all, as well as brown recluse spider (weaving before digging!)

Alas, the forest area doesn't have iron, so embark should overlap with beachfront or terrifying grassland (rains elf blood, non-reanimating, at least those animals I saw were live, no evil clouds in first 3 months - evil rain and cloud were set to 0 in worldgen anyway).

Or you can just embark on the joyous desert, if you hate forests and unicorns and aquifers and love steel and FPS. You need overlap with ocean to get human neighbours there, though (3x1 example that needs embark-tools embark anywhere - sadly has water edge.)

Spoiler: Aquifer in specifics (click to show/hide)
region-pops list-all, though don't expect fishes to appear without ocean to swim from

Spoiler: PARAMETERS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: POPULATION (click to show/hide)

Edit: Note that I have not actually ran this to 80 population and fought with goblins/humans yet. Generating is fun, though!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:16:12 am by Fleeting Frames »

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2016, 03:31:22 am »

Ok, odd request.
Don't care about terrain, do whatever with that.
How can I generate a world where humans exist for long enough to generate necromancers, BUT still have them all get completely destroyed before worldgen completes?
PS: It's a long story, but I've modded humans to be playable, but to not live past the age of twenty.
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2016, 08:40:27 am »

Vanilla, I'd suggest setting few human civs to be besieged by a greater number of goblins (hopefully, they'll not be naturalized). The initial war will drive desire for necromancy, and nobody seems to lay siege to the towers so they can chill peacefully as all hamlets are wiped out or taken over in next few centuries.

That modding might make things far trickier, though: In the last necromancer-heavy world I genned with 17 towers in first century, the earliest of those towers was built in year 9 - more time than it takes for a human child to die of old age. After the initial deity-granted slabs, a person might go several dozen of years in between becoming obsessed with their mortality and becoming someone's necromancer apprentice.

I'd think it to be highly likely that almost all the towers you do get would be done by dwarven necromancers, unless you prevent wars with dwarves.

After reading a bit on markets in another thread, I think I have obtained a greater insight into how elves build their big forest retreats and humans build towns:

Spoiler: "Demonstration image" (click to show/hide)

They will only make one if they are not in the range of any "big site" (dark Ω, Ω, ¶ retreat or town), not just their own. While this does not mean that they will necessarily make one at the first retreat in suitable position nor that it will be especially populous, it is a way to constrain their location while not completely preventing the advancement of elven culture via taigas or non-forest biomes.

This seems to work with humans as well, though naturally not for the starting fortresses of dwarves and goblins. And humans vs elves? Question of who gets a big site up first.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:57:58 am by Fleeting Frames »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »

I have a request - once upon a time, I found a junction of two minor rivers/streams and a larger river.  Both tiny rivers were in sheer gorges, with waterfalls at different heights, and joined into one before meeting the larger river without a waterfall.  The opposite site of the larger river was flat, and close to level with the bigger river.  I've attempted to diagram:
Code: [Select]
...r...
...r...
...W...
s..r...
sswr...
...r...
RRRRRRR
RRRRRRR
RRRRRRR
ooooooo
ooooooo

The key was that the sides (the periods) of the little (r)iver and the (s)ide river were sheer, and more than a few Z high.

Sadly, that was lost long ago.  Anybody have something similar?  I have dreams of recreating that trade bridge across the big river, onto a path carved next to the small river at the bottom of a tall canyon to the Front doors at the base of a natural (W)aterfall, a network of obsidian bridges overhead ...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2016, 11:24:29 am »

There were some large river gens in this and .43 thread earlier, I think. vjek posted a 50z major river one.

E: Stupid forum keeps eating my post...

Anyway, I realized that the embark geography I'm working on would likely need to be regenned anyway for complete progress, if I can manage to generate something similar. Even if I don't, it'll take a while. Thus, posting this now:

Udon Kajeth (params), year 770

(The cold bands are deadly cold areas - hoped to get them shear into airspace, but couldn't.
Later discovered that changing temp enough to change biomes still doesn't change geography (though it does history).
If I come back to this, I'll definitely get that and reset history seed.)

Neighbours:

Spoiler: Sweptpaged, town: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roofhonors, fortress: (click to show/hide)

Visitors depends on end year, but will be mostly humans, with goblin (primarily performance troupes) from the isolated island making up most of the reminder. All caravans show up otherwise. I noticed I get massive visitor armada bit of time after I massively overpay the elves in spring.

Suggested embark:

All biomes have at least this much (well, excluding the sand). 1z soil layer on all.

Embark-level picture - completely flat. Partial shot with reveal 1z below to help to see the line between clay and aquifer biomes

5-biome 2x2 embark(it says 3, but first and last get sheared in), consisting of
Joyous Temperate Grassland, (sheared, also has shallow metals. Flux 2z below embark)
Tropical Grassland (also has clay),
Tropical Savanna (5z stone aquifer, easily bypassed or utilized, limonite 2z below embark),
Untamed Tropical Swamp (incl. papyrus, sand, 2 magnetite balls 2z below embark, kaolinite 3z below embark),
Terrifying Dry Tropical Broadleaf Forest (thralling/reanimating/no evil rain, has Shallow Metals, obsidian 2z below embark).

Coverage of all brewable trees and plants in region-pops is 85,9% - perhaps could obtain the rest through trade.

Somewhat fat (embark level 149z, caverns at 95 iirc, magma 78), though.

Prospect. All metals but nickel, also includes rock crystals.

Some significant dates:
(Note that it doesn't want to turn out the same every time, for some reason? It's close, though)

230? - Sweptpaged becomes biggest town.

450? - Sweptpaged loses biggest town status (regained intermittenly in the future)

770 - 1-year war between goblins and dwarves, parameter link above. On test embark, visitors seem to be primarily human scholars.

1343 - after a blitzkrieg losing of hamlets, goblins and and dwarves refuse to make peace nor war for centuries.

1500 - second test embark, more visitors, largely human bards and mercenaries. Human town maintains about same size, but bleeds humans in favour of animal men. Whips and morningstars =)

1683 - first dark pit built nearer than dark fortress [inconsistent?]

2010? - Sweptpaged rises to greatest again.

2100? - First new dark fortress built in 2 millennia. This means population explosion, of course.

2310? - After simmering conflict, goblins wreck nearly all the forest retreats. Smiledmute remains standing, however.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:02:08 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]