Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49621 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2015, 11:47:13 pm »

Hi guys!
I need some advice here! I love to play with coal of some sort (lignite or bituminous) but it's usually really hard to find, expecially woth other features that I like (no trees, a useful metal, proximity with gobbos...). Is there a way to increase coal generation chances without setting a higher level of minerals?
Fraid not.  Since both fuels are located in the Sedimentary Layer, your best bet is to fine a location with multiple Shallow Metals and hope for the best.  Alternatively, embark in a Jungle or similarly heavily-forested area.  Since most trees are multi-z now, a serious forest can provide enough charcoal to keep you going until you establish your magma industries.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 11:39:22 am »

Does this world look a little familiar to anyone else?  :P
Don't tell me... Battlefailed?

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2015, 03:38:44 pm »

Does this world look a little familiar to anyone else?  :P
Don't tell me... Battlefailed?

heh, no. It just looks like China/Korea to me.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »

110 volcanoes in a small region. Not bad.

No rejections either.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:46:40 pm by Naryar »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2015, 06:40:54 pm »

Is anyone else having a problem with DF consistently crashing when it reaches the maximum number of gen'ed years and tries to offload?  Stopping the gen any time before it reaches the end seems to work.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2015, 06:51:38 pm »

Is anyone else having a problem with DF consistently crashing when it reaches the maximum number of gen'ed years and tries to offload?  Stopping the gen any time before it reaches the end seems to work.
I haven't seen that yet, in 42.03.  However, I limit my sites and civ pops.  If either of those is set to no cap, it's possible that might contribute to the problem.  Try settings sites to 40 or less and civ pop to 1000 and see if it still happens.  Also, it may be related to culling historical figures.  I typically have those set to yes.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2015, 09:49:12 pm »

Thanks, vjek.  I duplicated the problem in a large world even before I reached the maximum... it offloads most things, then on the last category crashes.  I regenned with the same parameters and stopped it after 150 years or so, and it saved fine.  I think you are most likely correct - something is exceeding the applicable buffer, and *splat*.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2015, 05:39:23 am »

Hello!

I'm looking for an 3x3 embark with the following:
  • Small world
  • All five races alive and in range after 600 years
  • As flat as possible with two cavern layers
  • Tetrahedrite+Cassiterite, Iron and Marble
  • Clay and sand
  • Trees
  • A water source
  • I would prefer a freezing biome with high savagery and no evil
Thanks in advance!

Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

RhoOphuichi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 09:34:50 am »

I'm looking for an embark with a good cavern - fairly open, several z-levels high. Multiple cavern layers would be great too. I can deal with an aquifer I'd prefer not. Materials for steel would be a plus. As for the surface, I'm flexible - I'd like a river. I prefer lots of trees. But whatever.

I'd love to build something like the amazing Rhymedmansion- a fortress focused around the caverns.
Do you want enemies, or giant animals/animal men, HFS, or just peace to build?

I'm flexible. I'd prefer middling-dangerous territory. I like neighbors for war/trade.

PABadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 11:37:32 am »

There are a few things that I'm looking for. First, does anybody know why it's so bloody hard to find a temperate broadleaf forest?

Second, specifically, I'm looking for:
- 4x4 embark
- Neutral Surroundings (pure neutral, wilderness)
- Temperate Broadleaf or Temperate Conifer (border of both for preference)
- Climate temperate or warm
- Brook, stream, or river
- Flux stone layer, Limestone for preference
- Resources available: Need iron, bitimonious coal/lignite, fire clay, sand. Would also like tetrahedrite, casseterite, and jade.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 07:06:31 pm »

If anyone's interested, have a pretty good worldgen.

4x4, hills beside a stream (4 tiles).

-Flux
-Iron
-Coal
-Kaolinite
-Tetrahedrite
-Sand
-Regular Clay
-Emeralds (I've hit lik 7 clusters already)
-No aquifer

Lots of trees, all nearby races (only goblins at war), lots of nearby trees and plants.  It's been treating me nicely so far, only problem is magma isn't at the surface so I just embarked with a ton of nickel ore for smelting into magma pump components.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 05:10:37 am »

Um, with sand you can make magma safe glass components... VERY handy (of course, you don't know beforehand if you've got sand [or iron] on the embarks, but I'd probably have gone for bringing sand instead of ore).

swimmerdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2015, 01:38:23 pm »

Hey guys, I am looking for a 3x3 embark on a savage glacier with a nearby necromancer tower for my challenge run. Thanks!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2015, 04:20:20 pm »

Hey guys, I am looking for a 3x3 embark on a savage glacier with a nearby necromancer tower for my challenge run. Thanks!
Here's a worldgen that matches.  If you embark from the "The Flaxen Pulley" civilization you'll be at War with the 22,000+ goblins, as well.  The tower has 43 animated dwarves, and 117 animated goblins.
Untamed wilds everywhere except the center area, so savage should be easy to find.  You can embark adjacent to the Tower, if you want.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

necrotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 03:51:12 pm »

If anyone's interested, have a pretty good worldgen.

4x4, hills beside a stream (4 tiles).

-Flux
-Iron
-Coal
-Kaolinite
-Tetrahedrite
-Sand
-Regular Clay
-Emeralds (I've hit lik 7 clusters already)
-No aquifer

Lots of trees, all nearby races (only goblins at war), lots of nearby trees and plants.  It's been treating me nicely so far, only problem is magma isn't at the surface so I just embarked with a ton of nickel ore for smelting into magma pump components.

I'm interested in the settings for this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13