Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49622 times)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2015, 07:58:48 am »

All I want is an embark that looks like this
Also the mountain needs to be quite wide
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2015, 01:40:31 pm »

How do i make a world that is :

- 257 x 257
- has a LARGE number of Titans, Megabeasts and other calamities and high evil
- huge swaths of deserts, wastelands and badlands and sparse civs struggling to survive clinged to huge rivers or water reservoirs on one end of the map
- ocean with islands in the middle
- and mountains and dense forests on the other end of map
- LOTS of minerals

?

Preferably short history.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2015, 02:05:20 pm »

- 257 x 257
- huge swaths of deserts, wastelands and badlands and sparse civs struggling to survive clinged to huge rivers or water reservoirs on one end of the map
- LOTS of minerals

?

I think most of this can be done with the ingame WorldGen (as opposed to editing the file directly).  Try the 'Large Island' preset.  From there you can set Civs to Low and Savagery / Minerals to High.  If you want to get more indepth, a large number of rivers with high erosion may produce island-chains.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2015, 02:15:08 pm »

- 257 x 257
- LOTS of minerals

?

I think most of this can be done with the ingame WorldGen (as opposed to editing the file directly).  Try the 'Large Island' preset.  From there you can set Civs to Low and Savagery / Minerals to High.  If you want to get more indepth, a large number of rivers with high erosion may produce island-chains.

I tried to dabble with adv world gen sometime ago and i always end up with "lol fagget ur world cant sustain civilizations . continue even if it means legends-only map y/n". Is it even possible to make two huge continents with island chains between them ??
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2015, 01:16:06 am »

There are a few things that I'm looking for. First, does anybody know why it's so bloody hard to find a temperate broadleaf forest?

Second, specifically, I'm looking for:
- 4x4 embark
- Neutral Surroundings (pure neutral, wilderness)
- Temperate Broadleaf or Temperate Conifer (border of both for preference)
- Climate temperate or warm
- Brook, stream, or river
- Flux stone layer, Limestone for preference
- Resources available: Need iron, bitimonious coal/lignite, fire clay, sand. Would also like tetrahedrite, casseterite, and jade.

This one matches, although it's Chalk rather than limestone.  Half Temperate Broadleaf, half Temperate Conifer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2015, 09:10:17 am »

Every time I gen a world that goes past 100 years, it crashes.  If it goes past 350 years, it crashes during the gen, otherwise it crashes during the offload.  Always at "Finalizing Sites", if that helps.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as it's getting to be really effing annoying.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:16:55 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2015, 11:20:57 am »

Every time I gen a world that goes past 100 years, it crashes.  If it goes past 350 years, it crashes during the gen, otherwise it crashes during the offload.  Always at "Finalizing Sites", if that helps.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as it's getting to be really effing annoying.
The two most recent worldgens I posted in this thread are 600 and 1000 years, respectively.  I've also posted a 10,000 year worldgen that generates very quickly.  As of 42.03, none of my worldgens crash using DF on Windows 7.
There are parameters that can make worldgen very fast or very slow, but it's hard to tell what's causing yours to crash without a sample worldgen that is crashing.  So, if you have one, by all means, post it here.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2015, 11:56:04 am »

Hello!

I'm looking for an 3x3 embark with the following:
  • Small world
  • All five races alive and in range after 600 years
  • As flat as possible with two cavern layers
  • Tetrahedrite+Cassiterite, Iron and Marble
  • Clay and sand
  • Trees
  • A water source
  • I would prefer a freezing biome with high savagery and no evil
Thanks in advance!
This one matches, as far as I can tell.  The water source is a partial aquifer (the sand part of the embark) which is easy to bypass and/or utilize.  As a bonus, there's also coal.

Thanks! My main rig has died though, so it's going to be some time until I can actually start building my fortress of solitude hospitality.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2015, 04:23:03 pm »

- 257 x 257
- LOTS of minerals

?

Most of it can. You can directly increase the number of megabeasts/titans/savagery/minerals by using Advanced Params. In addition to what you said regarding drainage and rivers, increasing the minimum temp would make more deserts/badlands. If I have some time I'll play around and see if I can find an embark that matches what Lossmar is looking for.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 04:55:36 pm »

Granted!

Yes, screenshots of your embark location, please!

Sorry, sorry.  Had a computer meltdown after that foolish post.

EDIT: What the?  I missed the Xs?  Better version with tiles circled posted.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:00:11 pm by Urist_McArathos »
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »

I had this problem with 0.42.02, but didn't have it in 0.42.04, let me know if your mileage varies.

Granted!
Yes, screenshots of your embark location, please!
Sorry, sorry.  Had a computer meltdown after that foolish post.

This raises a question I forgot I had. Is there an easier way, or a better graphic set, for make screenshots of your embark? I always have to take a dozen to find one where the Xs are showing.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2015, 07:09:55 pm »

I had this problem with 0.42.02, but didn't have it in 0.42.04, let me know if your mileage varies.

Hm, maybe 42.04 will fix it.  I'm still on .03 because of my LNP dependency.  *hangs head*

Here are the worldgen parameters I'm using:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11571

The Large Region is the one causing the issue, but I've seen it for any length of time greater than 100 years.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:27:02 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »

All I want is an embark that looks like this
Also the mountain needs to be quite wide
It's quite rare to find embarks like this.  However, it is reasonably easy to find embarks that are 3x1 with a central spire or 1x3 with a central spire.
Is the 3x3 a must-have, or will 1x3 or 3x1 work ok?

EDIT:

This is what I'm referring to.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:11:04 pm by vjek »

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2015, 10:02:25 pm »

Howdy gals and guys,
I'm trying to create worlds that have more tropical biomes as apposed to all the temperate ones I get with the default world-gen options.  I know climate is tied to both elevation and temperature, but every time I try messing with them in the advance params I end up with either super hot places, or all temperate, and sometimes no mountains. Any advice would be nice, thanks!
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2015, 10:24:05 pm »

Howdy gals and guys,
I'm trying to create worlds that have more tropical biomes as apposed to all the temperate ones I get with the default world-gen options.  I know climate is tied to both elevation and temperature, but every time I try messing with them in the advance params I end up with either super hot places, or all temperate, and sometimes no mountains. Any advice would be nice, thanks!

What parameters did you use in the meshes?
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13