Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49259 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« on: December 06, 2015, 04:18:41 pm »

Here's the guidelines & goals for this thread:

Post your interesting worldgen parameter sets, along with a description of the 'ideal' embark you've found. Pictures of sites or directions to them (so others can find them) are especially nice, but at the very least, try to provide others with the parameters for your new Dwarven Paradise, roughly where your embark was and what you got out of it (features, resources). One man's Paradise is another man's Hidden Fun Stuff, so try to point out if you found any obvious problems (no underground plants, no iron known to playable civ, etc).

Got an embark situation you'd like to see? Ask for it, and perhaps a world that someone else has discarded would work better for you! Found an interesting embark with some unusual feature (Adamantine space elevators, tiny island off shore in the ocean, chasms open from surface to caverns)? Post it, and let others have some fun with what you've discovered!

A screenshot showing the embark location is ideal, if you are posting with a specific embark in mind, rather than just the entire world.
Please use spoiler and code tags where appropriate, to keep your posts a reasonable size.

To get things started, here's my first 42.02 parameter set, that I used for testing Libraries, Scholars and Scribes.  It has no armed invaders, no enemies, and many visitors.  The only serious risk is from forgotten beasts in the caverns.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This embark location has a very tiny aquifer in the SW corner for easy access to infinite water/power and a couple of surface trees.  Otherwise, a lifeless desert, with iron/copper (at least) between the embark surface and the caverns.  Embark surface is Z100, Caverns start at Z92, magma sea at Z81.  A very 'thin' world, overall, where magma is within easy reach as a result.

Some demo worldgens, each of which has:
  • one cavern, 51-52 water
  • four mountainous squares in the NW corner for dwarven civ creation
  • one civ
  • no demon types
  • no HFS
  • magma
  • minimum height for layers+1, but 10 surface height, for thin embarks
  • no volcanism
  • no savagery
  • no poles
  • no cliff erosion, no rain shadows
  • 100 year history
  • cull figures/unimportant
  • no titans/megabeasts/semi-megabeasts
  • 1000 mineral scarcity
  • 2500 embark points
Spoiler: Demo Glacier Worldgen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Demo Desert Worldgen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Demo Forest Worldgen (click to show/hide)
All of these demo worlds should typically generate without rejections and should work cross-platform.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:41:42 am by vjek »

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 06:46:21 pm »

Hi vjek !

Could you share a good set of parameters for a deeeeep canyon + waterfall embark ?

I know mixing volcanoes and canyons is almost impossible, but any progress on that ? would be so great ... :D

Thanks again for the amazing work !

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 08:34:04 pm »

I have a world and embark location I'd like to share, but I don't have the first clue how to get the data to share it. I'm asking for advice on that topic here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154371.0

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:04:54 pm »

I have a world and embark location I'd like to share, but I don't have the first clue how to get the data to share it. I'm asking for advice on that topic here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154371.0
Easiest way is:
  • Pause your game
  • Press Escape
  • Select "Export Local Image"
  • select/deselect whatever levels you want to export (it doesn't really matter)
  • Press 'e'
Your worldgen parameters will be created as a .txt file in the top level of your dwarf fortress install directory.  Just look for the most recently created file(s).
Your embark location is a bit trickier, but that can be obtained by making a copy and retiring the fortress, worst case.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 09:12:10 pm »

I'm currently playing on a super sweet location in 0.40.xx, and what I'm trying to do is recreate it in 0.42 (with the addition of music in the world history, etc) and then embarking in the same spot, and passing it along here. When I copied out the worldgen data, it didn't have all that PS_EL data that is in yours, and it just generates a fresh new world.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 09:29:41 pm »

The PS_EL is pre-set elevation, and isn't always present.  The most important part are the seeds and the rest of the parameters match exactly.

There's no guarantee worldgen will remain the same between major versions or releases.  You may end up with a world that is similar, but not exactly the same.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 05:08:10 pm »

Hmm...

I don't suppose anyone has any pointers for how to go about finding the following?

Ideally, I want a 2x2 (or maybe even 1x1) flat embark with a flat volcano and an infinite water source of some sort, iron, and sand. And decent neighbors (ideally, all races surviving). Max z-levels above ground, and relatively deep (although only one cavern).
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 05:11:16 pm »

ptw

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »

Somebody should probably post the "evil Thailand" worldgen here.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Unknown-Figure1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:05:41 pm »

I want to play a hellish volcanic world with lots of ores on DF v.0.42. Could someone oblige?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:36:33 pm »

Hmm...

I don't suppose anyone has any pointers for how to go about finding the following?

Ideally, I want a 2x2 (or maybe even 1x1) flat embark with a flat volcano and an infinite water source of some sort, iron, and sand. And decent neighbors (ideally, all races surviving). Max z-levels above ground, and relatively deep (although only one cavern).
Everything is trivial except the iron, as it would need to be adjacent to and in the same tile as the volcano.  This rules out magnetite (and I think limonite?), but permits hematite, at least.
Here's an example that is close, but I couldn't find any iron bearing ores at any of the flat volcano embarks. Once DFHack is available, it'll be easier, for sure.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 10:01:23 pm »

I want to play a hellish volcanic world with lots of ores on DF v.0.42. Could someone oblige?
Here you go.  Just randomize/clear the seeds if you want something different.
You can increase the number of volcano's, too, if you want, but it will increase the overall elevation and thickness of the world, as a consequence, and reduce the number of unique named biomes.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 12:19:12 am »

Hi vjek !

Could you share a good set of parameters for a deeeeep canyon + waterfall embark ?

I know mixing volcanoes and canyons is almost impossible, but any progress on that ? would be so great ... :D

Thanks again for the amazing work !
This parameter set generates many valleys and major rivers.  Beyond that, getting a volcano next to a river is a matter of RNG luck without using the Preset-Value-Interface interface.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 01:57:47 am »

Do you guys really let it run for a thousand years?  I cut it off at 75 myself, knowing that it robs me of a lot of legends and world development, because my computer starts to take about one minute per year after about 100.  I suspect by the time it reached a thousand it'd be practically realtime.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 10:22:05 am »

Do you guys really let it run for a thousand years?  I cut it off at 75 myself, knowing that it robs me of a lot of legends and world development, because my computer starts to take about one minute per year after about 100.  I suspect by the time it reached a thousand it'd be practically realtime.
There's something seriously non-linear with the world generation. Per-area, a pocket region takes much less time to step than, say, a large region. Not surprising, however.
Everything is trivial except the iron, as it would need to be adjacent to and in the same tile as the volcano.  This rules out magnetite (and I think limonite?), but permits hematite, at least.
Here's an example that is close, but I couldn't find any iron bearing ores at any of the flat volcano embarks. Once DFHack is available, it'll be easier, for sure.
Thanks! I really need to learn the world painter interface. You added two chunks of high rain, a chunk of mid rain, a chunk of low rain, and a bunch of very low rain. Everything 75 degrees. Very low drainage with a chunk of very high drainage. Why? And why does it generate flat volcanos?
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13