Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49513 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2015, 10:25:00 pm »

Howdy gals and guys,
I'm trying to create worlds that have more tropical biomes as apposed to all the temperate ones I get with the default world-gen options.  I know climate is tied to both elevation and temperature, but every time I try messing with them in the advance params I end up with either super hot places, or all temperate, and sometimes no mountains. Any advice would be nice, thanks!
That can be tricky, since Region_Forest covers a very broad range of environments.  You'll want a relatively high Rainfall & Drainage with low Elevation.  I'd recommend 70-150 on the former and 100-200 on the latter, with a variance 10-60 tops.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2015, 12:04:41 am »

Howdy gals and guys,
I'm trying to create worlds that have more tropical biomes as apposed to all the temperate ones I get with the default world-gen options.  I know climate is tied to both elevation and temperature, but every time I try messing with them in the advance params I end up with either super hot places, or all temperate, and sometimes no mountains. Any advice would be nice, thanks!
This is complicated by a few factors.  The first is whether or not you have a pole.  If you have a pole in your world, you can have lethal temperatures.  Without a pole, you can't.
As a result, there's different ways to get tropical biomes, but here's one example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What you'll see is the bottom (southmost) 3 or 4 region tiles are either all tropical or a mix of tropical/temperate, across the entire world, east to west.  It's possible to demonstrate this in a larger world, I just wanted to show it's possible in a pocket world, too.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2016, 01:48:19 am »

I'm looking for an embark that's quite flat with a cliff in the middle.  That is, the top of the hill/mountain/plateau is flat, as is the plain at the bottom of the cliff.  I'm indifferent as to whether it has a river or not.  The idea is to be able to see all of the "outdoors" with two views, but still be able to dig in sideways instead of down.  Minerals for iron or bronze would be pluses, as well as high savagery and interesting wildlife.  Anybody seen one like this?

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2016, 02:13:55 am »

Might add my perfect world worlds at some point but its really only the lastest one I have done thats really only decent. Might do that after I do a few more.
65 x 129 or whatever the shape is.
Get about 100 z level in the "golden" mountain range, high savagery higher chance of streams. rich in iron and flux being a sedimentary layer.
Only problem is temperature being broken.

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2016, 09:25:50 pm »

here is a challenge:
mostly flat
small or pocket world
lots of brass and bronze
no/very little iron
all races

is it even posable?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2016, 10:18:44 pm »

here is a challenge:
mostly flat
small or pocket world
lots of brass and bronze
no/very little iron
all races

is it even posable?
You can control the flatness and world size with Elevation & Dimension lines, respectively.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to control what types of minerals exist, only the general scarcity of the world as a whole.

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2016, 11:20:03 pm »

I'm looking for an embark for my new fortress. Ideally, it would have:

- Flux, Iron, Coal
- Clay, Sand
- All major races alive and nearby after several hundred years
- Water source, preferably brook or river, but easily bypassed aquifer would do
- High savagery (I wanna check out those new animal variants)
- As small as possible

Bonus points for:
- Kobolds alive
- Volcano
- Fire clay
- Tower in range
- Large number of Megabeasts

If anyone can manage something like this, that would be awesome. If someone manages the bonus points as well, I'd be in dwarf heaven :D

soaringdragon42

• Bay Watcher
  • Pillow Hoarding Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2016, 03:14:12 pm »

Hey all. I'm looking for a 5x5 embark:

Need:
-papyrus
-clay & sand
-flux, coal, iron
-non-aquifer water source
-At least elves, gobs, & humans, no towers near embark

Would like:
-Temperate or warm climate
-Wilderness or calm savagery
-Lava near surface

Thank you!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »

Hey all. I'm looking for a 5x5 embark:

Need:
-papyrus
-clay & sand
-flux, coal, iron
-non-aquifer water source
-At least elves, gobs, & humans, no towers near embark

Would like:
-Temperate or warm climate
-Wilderness or calm savagery
-Lava near surface

Thank you!
So... everything but the papyrus is matching, despite it being a Tropical Freshwater Swamp biome.  'getplants' shows PAPYRUS_SEDGE as a plant, so.. I think it can/will grow here, there's just none growing at the moment?  That's my best guess.  In any case, there's a huge number of other plants to make paper, if that's the point of the papyrus.
If you embark from the Revered Bell civ, you'll be at war with the Goblins.

soaringdragon42

• Bay Watcher
  • Pillow Hoarding Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2016, 06:07:24 pm »

So... everything but the papyrus is matching, despite it being a Tropical Freshwater Swamp biome.  'getplants' shows PAPYRUS_SEDGE as a plant, so.. I think it can/will grow here, there's just none growing at the moment?  That's my best guess.  In any case, there's a huge number of other plants to make paper, if that's the point of the papyrus.
If you embark from the Revered Bell civ, you'll be at war with the Goblins.

That's been my luck with anything I tried to gen. I guess I just have to be patient. Thank you!

SomeoneSneaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2016, 05:37:25 am »

I was reading through this out of curiosity, and someone said something that made me realize someone might find my current fortress site interesting, though possibly a bit boring.

A 2x3 embark site -- no aquifer, but with a volcano, a Y-shaped river in a canyon (flat, no waterfall) with mussels in the river. The Mountain area is only on the one bottom left corner -- the rest is a surprisingly dry marsh (only two small ponds stocked with turtles) with plenty of nice big trees to murder admire. The surfaces of the magma is one level below the river, making obsidian farming easy. Lots and lots of Quartzite on the first few levels for non-flux magma-safe construction (still on the lookout for the flux layer the embark claimed was there). Neighbors are only humans and elves, and the standard dwarves, but I keep seeing individual kobolds that pop in just long enough to spam me with job cancellations.

Damn kobolds.

There's plenty of sand and clay. Found the first bit of iron on -25. These are genuine spoilers, if you don't want to explore for yourself:
----------

Worldgen parameters:

(On a side note, please pardon the colors -- had to lighten the blues due to poor eyesight making anything with blue or indigo completely invisible for me.)

Enjoy!

----------

ETA: I went digging, and found iron below the second cavern (which isn't very far down either). I'm on winter of my third year, and haven't been visited by anything other than dwarves and elves, and the occasional couple of kobolds. No titans or forgotten beasts, not even a human caravan, even though the embark screen said there were humans nearby.

My default start was on 5 years (because anything other than 'Very Short' tends to make my computer complain), so out of curiosity, I loaded up the worldgen parameters and let it run for 20 years. Still only dwarves, humans, and elves as my neigbors, so I went looking around the world a bit, and...

Well then.

There are several areas around here with flux + river + no aquifer. The funny thing is, the area around it is Joyous Wilds. That sounds like it'd be a fun backstory.

I'm too cowardly to actually play in this embark (maybe once I get the hang of something other than 'turtle in and hope the bad things go away'). Re-creating the world a third time didn't bring the tower up, so I'm uploading the map over here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:53:03 pm by SomeoneSneaky »
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2016, 06:48:56 am »

There's plenty of sand, but no clay, though traders have a bit when they show up. Still on the hunt for iron, though -- nothing but silver, gold, and zinc so far. It's gotta be there somewhere, right?
The wiki tells me that the iron ores can only be found in sedimentary or igneous extrusive (in the case of hematite) layers, while sphalerite can only be found in metamorphic layers. I suspect you're probably out of luck.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2016, 04:01:33 am »

'Simple' one.

Small/Medium/large/huge world (The bigger the better)
150+ years history
Any biome is good to go, but rather not TOO much evil stuff. Maybe a few pockets. (Style points if the entire world looks somewhat nice. E.g. no 1 tile biomes dotted everywhere, maybe a realistic-ish desert somewhere.) Islands are allowed.
Preferably quite savage, gives my dwarves plenty to be afraid of/put into the zoo
All races, but this is a big one, I want them to have 2, maybe 3 civilizations at most. Whether they're big or not doesn't matter, as long as there aren't a craptonne of civs going around. All the worlds i've personally made always have a ridiculous amount of civs around the map.

Naturally, metals/flux are nice-to-haves, but for me it's mostly about getting a world that looks and feels right. Embark-suggestions are cool too, but they're not a must.

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2016, 09:38:56 am »

I'm looking for an embark for my new fortress. Ideally, it would have:

- Flux, Iron, Coal
- Clay, Sand
- All major races alive and nearby after several hundred years
- Water source, preferably brook or river, but easily bypassed aquifer would do
- High savagery (I wanna check out those new animal variants)
- As small as possible

Bonus points for:
- Kobolds alive
- Volcano
- Fire clay
- Tower in range
- Large number of Megabeasts

If anyone can manage something like this, that would be awesome. If someone manages the bonus points as well, I'd be in dwarf heaven :D

So I managed most of this on my own, I found a pretty nice site that has almost all of the listed resources, and both good and evil (and neutral) squares to boot.
However, I'm having some trouble getting all major races to stay alive for a decent amount of time. I think it's mostly due to goblins curbstomping at least one civ fairly early on. Does anyone have tips on how to get a balanced history (mostly values for SITE_CAP and TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION, I guess)?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2016, 10:32:34 am »

... However, I'm having some trouble getting all major races to stay alive for a decent amount of time. I think it's mostly due to goblins curbstomping at least one civ fairly early on. Does anyone have tips on how to get a balanced history (mostly values for SITE_CAP and TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION, I guess)?
It depends on a few things, but savagery, worldsize, where civs are, and titan/megabeast are the largest influences.

The first dwarven civ is, as far as I can tell, almost always destroyed by a forgotten beast.  This requires at least two dwarven civs/sites to make it any length of time, but this doesn't affect fortress mode in the slightest, because Armok provides as many dwarves as is required, and caravans, out of thin air, even if all the civs are dead and there are zero dwarves in the world at embark time.

As far as elves, humans, kobolds and goblins, they too will not create civs on high savage tiles, but they will create sites on high savage tiles.  So, you can, in effect, directly control civ placement entirely with a savagery PSV map (world painter).

Presuming you don't want to go that route, change titan and megabeast parameters all to none/zero, and see if the world gens as desired.  If so, then your enemies are the clowns, FB's, cave dwellers (trolls, blind cave ogres, cave dragons, more) and goblins.  If that's sufficient, you're done.

Typically, without titans and megabeasts, somewhere between 4 and 10 civs and between 3 and 8 sites per civ, with somewhere between 2000-5000 pop cap is sufficient to have all races survive 1000 years in a pocket world, despite all being within interaction range.  The most common outcome, though, is one of those civs will be under 100 survivors, and not appear on embark as a neighbor.  Sometimes, all will be available and visible as embark neighbors. A small world (33x33) may be even better, but I haven't done extensive testing with that size, because then there are spots where you have to be geographically 'near' to see them as embark neighbors.  Kobolds will require caves to survive, and the more numerous and larger the better, if you want them around for any length of time.

Having said all that, if you permit goblins at all, they do have a tendency to dominate the world, especially if they get more than 10 sites.  However, I have seen world gens where goblins get crushed and are in fact extinct, despite having the same worldgen parameters as dwarves, humans, and elves.  It's not common, but it can happen.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13