Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49263 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2016, 11:38:48 am »

Requests for an embark like this seem to come up often, so just posting it here so I can refer to it in the future.
Features:
  • All races (dwarf, elf, human, goblin) alive and neighbors after 1000 years of history.
  • All embark dwarves will have many many skills in poetry, music, dancing, and instruments. Some legendary.
  • Sand
  • Clay
  • Iron (Magnetite), Gold
  • Flux (Dolomite
  • 39 Trees on surface (for charcoal/Steel) more trees in cavern
  • Aquifer on east side of embark only, (underneath the black sand) trivially utilized or bypassed
  • Water in the cavern (one cavern only)
  • No surface water
  • Flat embark
  • 25 Z levels to magma
  • Three surface biomes in embark: 1 Badland, 2 Grassland
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2016, 06:37:49 am »

I'm making my first foray into advance world generation because I would really like to find something with elevation next to an ocean or other substantial body of water. I'd really like to build my own Mont Saint Michel. If people have pointers on how to get this from the advanced world gen settings, it would be much appreciated.

If you already have something like that I'd be interested too. I generally play small worlds and appreciate lots of gobbos and beasts. High savargery and good/evil biomes are also interesting for the variety but hardly necessary.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2016, 08:15:47 pm »

I'm making my first foray into advance world generation because I would really like to find something with elevation next to an ocean or other substantial body of water. ...
It's not too hard to do what you want, provided a beach is acceptable.  If a beach next to the cliff face isn't acceptable, then it becomes much more difficult.
What I found so far has these features: (the cliff there is about 50Z high)
cliff cove beach
Is that what you're looking for, or something different, Bakaridjan?

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2016, 02:42:00 am »

I'm making my first foray into advance world generation because I would really like to find something with elevation next to an ocean or other substantial body of water. ...
It's not too hard to do what you want, provided a beach is acceptable.  If a beach next to the cliff face isn't acceptable, then it becomes much more difficult.
What I found so far has these features: (the cliff there is about 50Z high)
cliff cove beach
Is that what you're looking for, or something different, Bakaridjan?
That's a lot closer than anything I've been able to get. I don't like that beaches seem to be obligatory. Ideally I would love something like a rocky peninsula where I could channel out the connecting piece to make a bridge to a just-off-shore island fortress. It wouldn't have to be 50 Z-levels. Even 10 or 20 would be great.  That might take a lot of jiggering though. What settings do you use to get things like the cliff above?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2016, 10:35:11 am »

This is the worldgen that generated the world that has that cliff cove beach in it:
Just remove the seeds to get something similar.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2016, 01:17:15 pm »

It seems that what I'm looking for is exceeding difficult. I just spent way too much time gening worlds with that recipe and not really finding what I was looking for. It seems that oceans without beaches are not really possible, nor are rocky outcroppings just off shore.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:00 pm »

I remember this embark, from the previous version.  I think, iirc, that it had sheer cliffs going directly into water, but.. I don't know if it would generate the same in the current version.

At the very least, you could get the older version and try it to see if it's what you want, and work from that.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2016, 05:41:30 pm »

Thanks, I've been fiddling with that one and there is potential. It seems that lakes don't require beaches, so with them you can straight cliffs into water, but then you lose those waves constantly crashing against your fort walls giving you dwarves happy thoughts knowing that though the world rages they are safe behind their walls of stone.

It's still tricky though because you need mountains, away from rivers and with at least one tile of embarkable (non-mountain/lake) next to it. Again I've spent way too much time looking at maps now.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2016, 08:35:19 pm »

From another thread, I've done a bunch of science around ensuring a DEAD dwarven civ, so here it is.

This worldgen..
Creates a dead dwarven civ, so when you embark, all you get are the two hardcoded migrant waves, and no other contact.  No liaisons, no caravans, nothing.  You are on your own.  Also, positions like monarch or baron are not selected.  You can remove the seeds and get similar worlds, of course.  However, during worldgen, you'll have the greatest chances of the dwarven civ being DEAD if the fortress is conquered within the first 50 years, so watch for that during worldgen.  No editing of raws is required, this works in vanilla DF.

The way this works is that there are a LOT of goblins in the world (over 100,000), apparently so many that they repeated siege and pillage the initial mountainhome sometimes 50, 80 or more times, to the point where the civ is considered dead.  The elevation PSV ensures only a single, initial dwarven civ.  If more than one dwarven civ is placed, it's unlikely the Dwarven civ will be dead.

I've been looking for a way to do this for a very long time, for community challenges, so I'm quite pleased with the results.  Special thanks to PatrickLundell for finding a single dead dwarven civ from which I was able to reverse the relevant parameters.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2016, 06:30:35 pm »

From another thread, I've done a bunch of science around ensuring a DEAD dwarven civ, so here it is.

This worldgen..
Creates a dead dwarven civ, so when you embark, all you get are the two hardcoded migrant waves, and no other contact.  No liaisons, no caravans, nothing.  You are on your own.  Also, positions like monarch or baron are not selected.  You can remove the seeds and get similar worlds, of course.  However, during worldgen, you'll have the greatest chances of the dwarven civ being DEAD if the fortress is conquered within the first 50 years, so watch for that during worldgen.  No editing of raws is required, this works in vanilla DF.

The way this works is that there are a LOT of goblins in the world (over 100,000), apparently so many that they repeated siege and pillage the initial mountainhome sometimes 50, 80 or more times, to the point where the civ is considered dead.  The elevation PSV ensures only a single, initial dwarven civ.  If more than one dwarven civ is placed, it's unlikely the Dwarven civ will be dead.

I've been looking for a way to do this for a very long time, for community challenges, so I'm quite pleased with the results.  Special thanks to PatrickLundell for finding a single dead dwarven civ from which I was able to reverse the relevant parameters.

You're doing great work vjek! Keep it up :D
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Pullarius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2016, 03:55:08 am »

Once a long time ago I embarked in a cavern with only 3 or so of my dwarves alive and no wagon.

Is it possible to have all surviving and the wagon with all caverns consistently?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities

- Voltaire, French author, and philosopher

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »

My requirements are as follows:
For the world:
  • There must be at least 24 layers of rock between the bottom soil layer and the first cavern. Also, magma sea is a yes.
  • World size should be medium. Age doesn't matter so much, but I prefer a few hundred years of history.
For the embark site:
  • Site must be 4X4, have a river (any kind, as long as it's fresh flowing water), sand (usable for glass making), and at least some trees. River must be liquid for most of the year, and preferably freeze for at least a month (not a necessity).
  • Badlands is fine, and actually preferred.
  • Site should be completely flat and preferably a single biome, at least for all but the corners. Again, not a necessity, just preferred.
  • A few marble layers before the first cavern layer are preferable, though it's not a necessity. Mega bonus points if marble layers are -14 through -16! If not marble, then some sort of flux stone.
  • No necromancers nearby. I had a bad experience once with a perfect site apart from that, and everyone was killed by bits of fish skeleton.
  • At least a small amount of iron ore (or some other weapon/armor crafting metal) before the first cavern layer.

Thanks in advance!
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2016, 02:36:43 pm »

So I'm trying to find a world full of titans and semi-/megabeasts, lots of civs, incredibly savage, maybe a volcano or two, with little worrying about placement of these things, as I just want it to be an adventuring world. Anyone have something like this?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2016, 06:02:38 pm »

Does anyone know if there's a way to increase the chances of any given embark having fire clay specifically? I want to always have a ceramic industry, but loathe earthenware and kaolinite is pretty hit and miss.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2016, 06:26:51 pm »

My requirements are as follows:
Managed to get close to everything except the marble, I think. (but there's chalk for flux)
However, stone layers are 116-96 (21Z, inclusive) from bottom of first stone layer (below soil) to top of caverns (caverns start at 95) so if that's a dealbreaker, let me know.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13