Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: (42.06)[The Windy Universes] Turn 10a, Terrapin | Turn 11b, Bearskie [Adv. Suc.]  (Read 32801 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm all for more people joining in, myself, but we might want to set an upper limit (10?) on the number of people, or maybe switch to single-day turns.

Personally, I'm in favor of one-day (real time) turns myself. Keeps the game moving along, and people can always un-retire their adventurer if they don't have enough time to get much done during their turn. And with the one-day turns it becomes more likely that people might actually get multiple turns. Everyone so far has finished the playing portion of their turn in a single day anyways.

Thoughts, anyone? It's up to you at any rate, happyslap.

I concur with this. Especially since we can just move whoever can't play to the bottom of the list and since everyone gets 1 day, that person doesn't have to wait too long. If 1 day is too harsh I think a good compromise is 3 days.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

I think a week is good, because players can create forts after they finish up their adventuring time for that turn, which makes the world better.And if you want truly great stories you need to play your adventurer for awhile and not everyone has a huge amount of free time.Remember we already have the 2-week in-game time limit.

I dont recall what "The Museum" used but 3 days is too harsh and 1 day is extremely harsh, especially if you need to go out into the woods and grind up your skills to survive for any decent amount of time. I think we should stick with week long turns. Sure it will take awhile, but we get better stories that way.I know i personally in the new version can spend a embarrassingly long time fine tuning my chars personality, and that is even before starting the game properly.

WE should however make sure people are playing their turns, and if they dont, skip them.

edit:
just checked, they had 1 week, just like us.

But its your call XhAPPYSLApX.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:14:35 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile

I think a week is good, because players can create forts after they finish up their adventuring time for that turn, which makes the world better.And if you want truly great stories you need to play your adventurer for awhile and not everyone has a huge amount of free time.Remember we already have the 2-week in-game time limit.

I dont recall what "The Museum" used but 3 days is too harsh and 1 day is extremely harsh, especially if you need to go out into the woods and grind up your skills to survive for any decent amount of time. I think we should stick with week long turns. Sure it will take awhile, but we get better stories that way.I know i personally in the new version can spend a embarrassingly long time fine tuning my chars personality, and that is even before starting the game properly.

WE should however make sure people are playing their turns, and if they dont, skip them.

edit:

I'm all for more people joining in, myself, but we might want to set an upper limit (10?) on the number of people, or maybe switch to single-day turns.

Personally, I'm in favor of one-day (real time) turns myself. Keeps the game moving along, and people can always un-retire their adventurer if they don't have enough time to get much done during their turn. And with the one-day turns it becomes more likely that people might actually get multiple turns. Everyone so far has finished the playing portion of their turn in a single day anyways.

I'm gonna think it over, we should stay with week long, but one day adventures definitely have their advantages. I'm gonna try and rework the framework to try and include both as options. If I can't find a way to include both, I think we should go with 4 day turns as a comprimise, long enough to make a good story, and short enough to not be a slog to wait through.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sounds like fun, can I grab a turn?
If it's not too late, may I join the adventure?
Adding both of ya, though I do think we should not add any more to the list, unless people drop out, or something along those lines.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile

I'd favour 3 days myself. I understand Untrustedlife's concerns, but in my opinion keeping up the momentum is worth the potential drop in update quality. More often than not, it is inactivity that kills succession games, not bad turns.

Personally, I feel that 3 days is more than enough to play the required 2 weeks in-game adventuring. If the player is quite busy though, he can just play up to whenever he can and retire to continue another day. Meanwhile a free player might have extra time left, so he can go start a fortress or another adventurer, so long as he stays within the 3 day turn limit.

In regards to the concerns of not being able to get anything done in 1 turn, perhaps we could impose a rule where you can't use other player's retired adventurers? That way, if he wants, a player can focus his entire first turn on grinding, and can later make use of them in future turns. This turns the story into a running saga relating to the adventurer, and is more realistic than a peasant becoming a Legendary Wrestler within the space of 2 weeks just because he strangled a horseshoe crab repeatedly.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

edit:

I'm gonna think it over, we should stay with week long, but one day adventures definitely have their advantages. I'm gonna try and rework the framework to try and include both as options. If I can't find a way to include both, I think we should go with 4 day turns as a comprimise, long enough to make a good story, and short enough to not be a slog to wait through.
4 day comprimise sounds alright, though i still prefer 1 week, as i will be writing my story as i play . ugh.
I am an indie game dev!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

edit:

4 day comprimise sounds alright, though i still prefer 1 week, as i will be writing my story as i play . ugh.
If I may make a suggestion, you should do what I do and keep a journal of your game, then elaborate on it once you're done.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

edit:

If I may make a suggestion, you should do what I do and keep a journal of your game, then elaborate on it once you're done.
Thats not a bad idea! Also, i know you have issues sometimes but im wondering, when you will get your second update up you're a great writer.
I am an indie game dev!

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is actually what I did when it was my turn, it's a great strategy to keep everything in check.

Leonkr9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welp that was quick Poor John Nusko Rithod got smashed by a bronze colossus on his way to his first Job writing up now
wonder if my next adventurer will do any better 

Leonkr9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is The story of John Nusko Rithod (images in spoilers due to size)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
John was a simple Goblin All He ever really wanted was friends of course being a Goblin in Human society could be difficult
Even in the Most accepting societys due to the perceived Goblin Nature John was on a mission to set this right to show everyone
that Goblins could change He was not doing this for himself but for all goblin kind! Well.... this is what He told himself repeatedly
in a desperate attempt to convince Himself he had never been outside of His Home But Today was the Day He walked right up
to Lord Upur the humble ruler of Saffronddiamonds and requested a Job worthy of a brave adventurer! The lord gave him the rather simple task of taking on some troublesome raiders that had set up in the dessert
John set out with his trusted friends Jasro And Uda and they set off to take care of the raiders to the east.
along the way they came across a strange temple Curious John decided they should investigate upon entering the holy grounds they came across a great bronze statue.
And then John died
Dead before he even hit the ground..

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I see! When it says goblins are "driven to cruelty", it doesn't mean they are cruel, it means they are driven towards cruel things, which then make blood smears out of them.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick question, can you compose poems/songs about yourself?

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think so. You can't compose a poem/song about a specific topic, only in a specific style.

You can tell stories about specific things, but trying to filter for your name doesn't turn anything up. I was trying to tell the story of the forgotten beast I slayed in another save, but couldn't find any way to do so besides the classic incident report dialogue.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:54:38 pm by hawkwing »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think so. You can't compose a poem/song about a specific topic, only in a specific style.

You can tell stories about specific things, but trying to filter for your name doesn't turn anything up. I was trying to tell the story of the forgotten beast I slayed in another save, but couldn't find any way to do so besides the classic incident report dialogue.

Damn. I wonder if it's possible to write a story about someone else's adventurer!? That would be interesting too!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16