Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mysterious Cat Deaths  (Read 11655 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Cat Deaths
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 03:58:20 am »

This is dwarven alcohol we're talking about here... I imagine it would be highly toxic!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:12 am »

this is the greatest anti-catsplosion feature yet

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 07:44:56 am »

This is absolutely hilarious!

The only thing that makes this a "bug" is the high level of occurrence.  Maybe some tweaks to make it so splashed syndromes aren't as "strong"?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 07:55:21 am »

I'd say it's working as intended.  Cats are vulnerable to such things in general - they warn that a cat stepping in a puddle of antifreeze once is enough to kill it if you don't wash its paw off manually.

Except cats in an old fashion pub or inn is a normally thing. I mean presumably they do end up ingesting alcohol in just this kind of manner & it's not really healthy for them, but they don't constantly drop dead. I'd say keep it but tone it down a bit.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 09:41:43 am »

Since Cats use their tongues to clean themselves, another solution to this is to remove their tongues.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 09:51:23 am »

Since Cats use their tongues to clean themselves, another solution to this is to remove their tongues.
Might as well do it when you geld 'em.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 09:58:26 am »

you could stop the issue entirely by quarantining cats to pastures so they don't get splashed with alcohol. Also Larger cat populations means more adoptions means more cat deaths means greater stress levels and tantrum spirals.
why not just set cats to "pet not available" in the animals section of the Z menu? if that is how that works anyway

or you can just cull ALL the animals that arnt pets and gelid all the ones that are

in my fort i kill every animal but a breeding pair of the largest species i have for their meat and other products
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 10:12:18 am »

Wow, just wow. I'd say working as intended, I suppose people really caring aout their felines could always remove the cleaning tag from the cat raws.

I wonder what will happen if you were to add the tag to dwarves.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 10:12:41 am »

hahaha Dwarf fortress never disappoints.i suppose a temporary fix would be to have car wash mists outside the taverns.

suburbanplankton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 12:21:52 pm »

hahaha Dwarf fortress never disappoints.i suppose a temporary fix would be to have car wash mists outside the taverns.

I saw mention in another thread of 'banisters' being something that we can build now...if that's the case, then we should be able to place multiple waterfalls at strategic locations within the taverns, so that the mist keeps the floors clean (or at least dilutes the spilled alcohol), with the banisters keeping drunken revelers from falling in.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:27 pm »

emergent gameplay :V
I'd say it's working as intended.  Cats are vulnerable to such things in general - they warn that a cat stepping in a puddle of antifreeze once is enough to kill it if you don't wash its paw off manually.

Except cats in an old fashion pub or inn is a normally thing. I mean presumably they do end up ingesting alcohol in just this kind of manner & it's not really healthy for them, but they don't constantly drop dead. I'd say keep it but tone it down a bit.
yeah but people in pubs dont generally pour their drinks on cats, which our taverngoers appear to be doing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:36:03 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »

banning pets from the tavern or removing tongues from cats would still be the optimal solution, but that's a very dwarven idea and I could see it improving the reputation of the tavern
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 12:54:31 pm »

why not just set cats to "pet not available" in the animals section of the Z menu? if that is how that works anyway

or you can just cull ALL the animals that arnt pets and gelid all the ones that are

in my fort i kill every animal but a breeding pair of the largest species i have for their meat and other products
The source of Catsplosions is that cats unlike other animals choose their owners instead of the other way around. Before gelding this meant keeping the population low and quickly culling the young before they found someone to follow around.

In any case keeping the cats out of the tavern is a limited solution, I've taken to penning them up in the food stockpiles because the above ground section of the fortress is coated with alcohol thanks to the duplicating smears and pools deal.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 12:56:57 pm »

I suspect it might be that alcohol in real life evaporates pretty quickly, if not gets stale. If you have alcohol thrown over yourself, you'll end up as a sticky mess because of the left-over sugars inside the drink, but you won't be able to get buzzed of your sweater in a few hours time.

So real life cats that would get splashed just wouldn't ingest so much alchohol due to there not being enough on them by the time they start cleaning.(Also, I imagine real life cats are much better at avoiding drunk tavern goers splashing drinks everywhere.)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

You can also mod in dwarven cats and make them immune to alcohol poisoning.

P.S. This is why I love this game
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2] 3