Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor stuck in Conduct Meeting  (Read 3326 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayor stuck in Conduct Meeting
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:22:59 pm »

My fort's mayor has been stuck in Conduct Meeting for quite some time (but I'm not sure how long).  The problem is, she's not meeting with anyone.  She's just standing around in her office, and nobody else has an Attend Meeting job.

Now it's autumn, and the Liaison is here, but he's socializing in a tavern, presumably because the mayor is "busy".

Save/reload didn't change anything.  Any other thoughts on how to snap her out of it?  Draft her into a military squad, maybe?

0.42.02, Linux

Edit: Well, military squad didn't fix it.  I made her a squad of one, and gave her a station order.  She changed to solid-face, with job showing up as "Station", but never moved.  I verified that her door is not locked, and that she has no health issues that would prevent movement.  Gave a second station order even farther away -- nothing.  Finally gave up and canceled the Station order.  Now she's back to Conduct Meeting, with nobody attending.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:50:05 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor stuck in Conduct Meeting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 05:57:11 pm »

Have you tried setting up a burrow on the other side of the fort from the mayor and then turning on an alert?  That usually cancels tasks for my on Windows DF.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 06:52:36 pm »

Sometime if you get them to move they repath to a correct job, try build something on top of them or dfhack a tile full of water on them to push them a bit.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 07:00:20 pm »

Maybe it's on the liaison's side, and your mayor is ready to meet, actually. Try setting the tavern restrictions to citizen-only, for a bit? I have one tavern in my currently 1.5 year old fort set to citizen-only, and haven't had this problem... although the liaison isn't leaving.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:08 am »

I made an indoor burrow covering the entire working underground portion of the fort (because I always want that to be the first burrow, and I hadn't done it yet).  Then I made a second burrow, about 1x6 tiles, overlapping the first one, and assigned the mayor to it.  No change.

Then I built a lever inside the 1x6 burrow, profiled it so only the mayor could pull it, and requested a pull the lever job.  No change.

Put the mayor back on military duty.  No change.  Took him off duty.  No change.

Found the liaison, relaxing in The Nuts of Squirting (my first tavern).  Changed the tavern restriction from "All visitors welcome" to "Citizens only".  The liaison ran off to The Evaporated Breakfast (second tavern), where he continues to do "No Activity".  The mayor still has not left her office.  Changed The Nuts of Squirting back to All visitors welcome.

(The mayor has moved within her office.  She doesn't always stand on the same tile.  She just never leaves it.)

Next, I reassigned the mayor's office to the chief medical dwarf, leaving the mayor with no office assigned.  No change.  She is still hanging out in the same place, still allegedly doing a "Conduct Meeting" with nobody.

I guess it's bug report time.

Bug 9301 submitted.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:32:26 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:45:17 am »

Shortly before winter, the mayor became hungry and thirsty, and decided to head to The Evaporated Breakfast for a drink.  Both tavern keepers were asleep, so she stood over a dwarven beer pot for a while.  ("She feels euphoric due to inebriation. She is annoyed after having a drink without using a goblet, cup of mug.")  Now she is hungry, but no longer thirsty, and is trying to perform "Conduct Meeting" in the tavern.  The liaison is hanging out in the library.  Whoever the mayor is meeting with in her mind, it's apparently a pretty long meeting.

The walking dead just arrived.  Not sure how much longer this fort will last.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:06:05 am »

Huh!  While building some fortifications on the outer walls, I happened to spot a Bard.  In a tree.

This may be the culprit!

Um.  Any ideas how to get her down from there, without destroying the tree?  It's a bayberry tree, and I'd be sad to lose my renewable source of bayberry wine.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:14:41 am »

Tree building crash is gone! Build stairs.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 11:59:40 am »

Tree building crash is gone! Build stairs.
For next release, not in the current release.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »

You should be able to build stair anyway, as long as you tear them down before the tree grows, as I assume you want the stairs beside the bard, not underneath.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 01:13:33 pm »

I built stairs in that empty space 3 east and 1 south of the Bard, and he ran across the branch and down the stairs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:51:32 pm »

Tear down the stairs just in case. Did the bard meet with you mayor (a petition, maybe?)?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 02:58:01 pm »

Yup.  I removed the stairs when they were no longer needed.  The bard petitioned for citizenship, and then a couple more people petitioned after that, and then finally the liaison got a turn.

I actually let the bard stay because I figure she'll be a source of cheap laughs.  The bird/bard puns alone should keep people busy for weeks....  Plus, you get gems like "How many bards does it take to change a mechanism?  One bard, plus two dwarfs to build a staircase to get her back down!"

ishmog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 10:16:12 pm »

Sorry to necro this one, but it comes up as my top result for a Google search on the topic, and I ran across a cause for this, and a fix, that might apply for many people experiencing it.

I had the same scenario as OP: liaison on site, but mayor stuck in his office in "Conduct Meeting" mode but never completing the meeting and so unable to meet with the liaison.

As someone else noted, this was happening because the meeting delegate was a dwarf that could not get to the mayor's office for the meeting. But unlike that situation, "Attend Meeting" didn't show up in the unit screen to allow me to find that delegate, because he was Chained up in jail. And like many small forts, the mayor was also the sheriff... being stuck in Conduct Meeting was also preventing him from releasing the chained dwarf that he was supposed to be meeting with.

I noticed this only at random. Removing the mayor as sheriff and appointing another dwarf did not cause the prisoner to be released, even though his sentence was up. I had to deconstruct the chain, whereupon they promptly met and the mayor was freed up to meet the liaison immediately after.

So--this could be a common issue in forts where the mayor is also the sheriff, particularly since ending up in jail is a sure path to many unhappy meeting requests.

On the plus side, I got zero annoying mandates while the mayor was stuck, so I soon regretted freeing him up again.