Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crimson Crops: Food System Overhaul (Fun Farming!) Version .1 Released!  (Read 5062 times)

Crimson Crops: Farming and Food Overhaul Mod

I am more than sure I am not the only one who is tired of the default crop behavior for dwarf fortress and I am setting out to remedy this issue with a mod! Obviously some very important bits of the food system as a whole are hard coded and can not be changed but this will not stop me from attempting to align food production into a more realistic form.

Grab the mod here!
Version .2

Version .1

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Planned) Features:
Realistic crop growths (currently implemented): Most crops take upwards of 4 months to harvest and can only be planted once a year. There are of course plenty of plants with varied growth times and expected outputs so it is no longer simply planting one crop and getting tons of food if you want to optimize your food outputs.

Random crop output: In Dwarf fortress the only randomness you get from crops is based on the skill of your worker. Even so experienced workers reliably farm large stacks of food from every plant . In this mod crops have a chance to fail or produce larger than expected amounts. This is to simulate crop damage and other factors that can limit growth.

Decreased gathering gains: No longer can you magically produce copious amounts of food near instantly by simply gathering random plants. It will still work in a pinch for a handful of people or to get seeds but you will no longer be able to rely on it as a strong food source.

Once the original goal of the mod (as stated above) is reached I plan on moving on to other food sources and finding ways to regulate them. Meat and eggs in particular will be adjusted to prevent them simply surpassing the need to harvest anything completely.

I am also looking to possibly fluff up crops by adding more fantasy style crops into the game that have unique outputs and uses beyond food or cloth.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas you would like to see in this mod!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:04:15 am by Crimson Bolt Development »
Ignore the bit about being an escaped lunatic! My real profile is dennislp3...I just wanted to separate the two for modding purposes

Check out my mod Crimson Crops: Fun Food Overhaul if you are looking for a more balanced and challenging food system!

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crimson Crops: Food System Overhaul (Fun Farming!)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:19:59 am »

Good work my friend! I wouldn't use this, but good work anyway!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »

I on the other hand would definitely use something like this, so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress and trying your mod out for sure once it's ready.  My humble suggestion would be to keep the "possibly fluff up crops by adding more fantasy style crops" part as an optional add-on package when you get to that, just in case one would rather stick to a more balanced/realistic version of the vanilla crops.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:41:21 pm »

To be honest, food and drink consumption in the last update has augmented quite a bit, so the "omfg i'm swimming in prepared meals" is less of an issue now.

Realistic crop growths and outputs would be interesting, I guess.

Would be interested in variant underground cavern crops. I mean, more than a hundred outside crops and five cavern crops only ?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:26:04 pm »

Good work my friend! I wouldn't use this, but good work anyway!

Thank you!

I on the other hand would definitely use something like this, so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress and trying your mod out for sure once it's ready.  My humble suggestion would be to keep the "possibly fluff up crops by adding more fantasy style crops" part as an optional add-on package when you get to that, just in case one would rather stick to a more balanced/realistic version of the vanilla crops.

I will definitely keep stuff like that optional because I see no need to force it on people. If all goes well I would like to ultimately make a launcher/installer for this mod so people can adjust it to their liking without having to release 50 different versions for all the possible options and preferences. I mostly want to make extra crops for the sake of tinkering with raws and what not. The first iteration of the mod which I will release with 42.03 will be pretty simple and mostly just extend the time required for crops to grow, adjust egg production and possibly alter the speed which gathering is leveled up. Thank you for expressing your interest!

To be honest, food and drink consumption in the last update has augmented quite a bit, so the "omfg i'm swimming in prepared meals" is less of an issue now.

Realistic crop growths and outputs would be interesting, I guess.

Would be interested in variant underground cavern crops. I mean, more than a hundred outside crops and five cavern crops only ?

It has been adjusted but I still found it pretty easy to plop down a few small crops with 1-2 farmers and feed everyone fairly easy. On that point though I usually play without migrants or with very few waves of them and prefer a more natural and slow growth rate with my forts. I imagine having large waves come in will be a totally new challenge. Ultimately my goal is to make starvation a real issue though (before the industrial age and even in some places now it was/is a real issue!). I have never had a dwarf starve even when I was a totally new player and food production is bland and usually a fire and forget thing. I will probably come out with 2 versions ("hard" and "easy") as well as optional added crops...because as you mentioned underground crops are lacking greatly. That being said I do have the philosophy that above ground crops should be superior in most cases because they require a bit more danger and extra effort (not much).

Either way suggestions and critiquing are welcome! I plan on releasing an update every version or every 2 weeks until the mod is in a stable and in a complete state.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:28:14 pm by Crimson Bolt Development »
Ignore the bit about being an escaped lunatic! My real profile is dennislp3...I just wanted to separate the two for modding purposes

Check out my mod Crimson Crops: Fun Food Overhaul if you are looking for a more balanced and challenging food system!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:38 am »

I have wished to have more interesting fantasy crops, so I am interested in that aspect.  It would be interesting to have something like a bush that grows bars of gold, but only once a year. 

I've had a lot of ideas about it, but the plant raws confuse me.  Plants that can be processed into useful substances, like wood, leather, gems, ivory, coke, shells, etc.  Plants with high trade value, like sunberries or valley herbs.  Maybe high value spices like saffron and cinnamon.  If the splatter command comes back for v42, you could make plants with poisons that can be extracted and applied to weapons or ammo.  You could also have plants that are poisonous just lying around.  I'm not sure  about syndroms, but maybe you can make something like poison ivy where contact with the plant causes irritation, or plants that cause syndromes when consumed, like psychotropic or poisonous mushrooms. 

I've always wondered if one could make something akin to the ballistomycete from dungeon crawl, a cave fungus that launches balloons full of ?poisonous? spores that float through the dungeon and explode causing a new colony to develop.  For a game like dwarf fortress, the spores could take root in living creatures and kill them so that new baby fungus can grow in the corpse. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 08:55:39 am »

I am definitely planning on adding things like metal bearing plants and I wanted to try and experiment with syndromes possibly as well for poison weapons and things of the sort...haven't fleshed anything out specifically yet though as thats a few releases down the road...hopefully in about a month.

Re: Crimson Crops: Food System Overhaul (Fun Farming!) Version .1 Released!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 04:28:22 pm »

Here is version .1!

As of right now it simply alters crop grow times and lowers clutch sizes of domestic birds. Another update to come in the next few weeks!

Hope you enjoy and please give me any feedback or what you would like to see in future iterations!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 04:41:25 pm »

ptw...my own mod >.> lol
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:19:51 pm »

Ok folks! Version .2 is on its way. You can expect it here friday or saturday. It is going to have some tweaks to crops to round out the work of version .1 and will touch meat, milk/cheese, and fish!

The garbage readme file and ugly OP will also be completely redone to be more appealing and informative.

Don`t forget that I am open for suggestions and wanted features.

Have a great day!

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 04:34:40 pm »

sweet, excited to try it out

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 01:41:56 pm »

Sorry for the delay. Been a busy weekend and my internet is out. Needed to play test some tweaks before releasing it. Should have it up by tonight.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:08:55 am »

Version 2 is out!

Check the reader for full details.

Major changes this version are primarily in the group age of large domestic animals which slows the speed you can create large herds of animals.

Testing has shown that the balance seems pretty good though feedback would would appreciated.

I personally was not often in a spot where I have huge amounts of surplus of food.

Hope you enjoy!

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:58 am »

Something that would be nice is "tree" crops, or atleast something growable to give wood. Bamboo? Maybe little bonzai trees. I mean, ideally you would cut down regular trees, but there's no way to replant them currently  :(

Although this might remove the challenge from treeless embarks, maybe make them have very long grow times to offset this.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 03:03:11 am »

that can certainly be done. unfortunately the way crops work is a bit weird so the longest a crop of anything can grow is about 11 months. if I could I would prefer 2 years for wood trees...I suppose if I wanted to be cruel I could make a plant that grows 11 months drop a second stage seed that takes another 11 months to grow and produce wood. The next update I am going to be fiddling with trees a bit so I can maybe see about trying to add that
Pages: [1] 2