Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crimson Crops: Food System Overhaul (Fun Farming!) Version .1 Released!  (Read 5059 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Crimson Crops: Food System Overhaul (Fun Farming!) Version .1 Released!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 09:08:01 am »

I like that you're making the effort :)  Food in general is really hard to balance when factoring in the bonus of a highly skilled Dorf.  A single Master Grower can feed a whole Fortress.  I wonder; would it be possible to change the seasonal requirements of crops?  Specifically, remove seasons from underground plants and add them to the surface ones.  Also struck me as weird that subterranean mushrooms have seasons, but I can plant strawberries in the dead of winter :-\

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 04:54:31 pm »

Also struck me as weird that subterranean mushrooms have seasons, but I can plant strawberries in the dead of winter :-\

Someone asked why this was in Future of Fortress and Toady replied.

It made a tad more sense when there was no aboveground farming and there was seasonal flooding of the underground, maybe, but yeah, it's kind of strange now.  Not sure when we'll get to the nuts and bolts of aboveground farming, since there's a lot to do in all of the various modes and it won't matter until they actually use those things post w.g..

I think that the underground crops should grow year round, but be nerfed significantly in grow time. I mean, you can't expect a plant with no access to sunlight to seasonly produce crops.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 01:16:08 am »

Those are both done already actually. I suggest dowbloading version .2 and checking out the readme until I can update the OP properly. It is much more detailed and includes a feature road map and everything. Not having access to a proper computer makes posting on the forums very difficult.

Currently all plants follow the grow times of their real world counterparts. Underground crops take 5 months to grow and may be adjusted later.
Ignore the bit about being an escaped lunatic! My real profile is dennislp3...I just wanted to separate the two for modding purposes

Check out my mod Crimson Crops: Fun Food Overhaul if you are looking for a more balanced and challenging food system!

Mad-Saint

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 05:58:52 pm »

While trying this out I was having trouble growing a steady supply of food with above ground crops seems some of them are impossible to grow. So I tested several worlds while playing with raws and its seems that since some plants for example spelt take 4 months to grow but are set to only spring/autumn which seems to mean they can only be planted and grow in said seasons and vanish when seasons change to summer/winter. Has anyone else noticed this and hope this helps

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 01:13:58 am »

I haven't had that issue as far as I can tell. What is most likely happening is that they are getting planted at the tail end of autumn and the game wipes all crops at the start of a new year which i tried to factor for. Also if you dont have enough farmers the food will rot in the fields pretty quick if you dont harvest them.

Mad-Saint

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 07:46:38 am »

Well to double check just started a new fort and planted Finger millet/Spelt/Kaniwa(Only have tags for Spring/Autumn and Growdur of 1008/1344/1344) in Spring the moment it became Summer they all vanished also all the wild plants of these seem to have died as well.
The same thing happened to the Prickle berries(Spring/Summer Growdur 2352) I planted in spring since they take just over 2 seasons to grow once Autumn came they all vanished, though the Potatoes(Spring/Summer Growdur 1008) I planted in Spring where harvested in Summer any of them planted in Summer Vanished in Autumn.

While testing this I had all labours active on everyone and just had them stand around the wagon and watched the plants grow. I am now sure plants can only live in seasons they have tags for and die in seasons they do not have tags for.

With these results I guess potatoes work as a plant in spring harvest in summer crop the rest I listed are impossible to farm due to them taking either to long to grow or missing season tag.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 10:31:01 am »

Alright easy fix then...just need to add some tags back to plants. I wanted to avoid odd planting times to prevent the winter to spring die off bug.

I think the easiest way to fix this is to append the time (in months) it takes to grow something onto the seed name (i.e. "flax seed (4) ) and the player will have to make a judgement call themselves if their is time left in the year to plant and harvest the food.

Thank you for discovering this for me.

Fix will be up within a day or two

rndmnumgen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 11:07:39 am »

I tried this mod out yesterday and I'm really liking it so far! It works perfectly with the Lazy Newb Pack, which makes me happy.

Here's how my fortress is standing:

- I'm 1 year in with migrant waves turned on, which puts me at 37 dwarves right now.
 - I have 2 planters who are maintaining 20 spaces of underground farms.
 - I have 1 woodcutter/herbalist who switches between collecting logs and harvesting plants aboveground.
 - I have 4 chickens, but I'm not eating their eggs, just trying to breed more.
 - I have been slaughtering the large animals the migrants bring with them for meat.

With this setup, I haven't had any food shortages yet, though I have had to actually pay attention to food production and make sure it's running smoothly. This is why I added that second planter with the first migrant wave, and why I've been slaughtering the migrant animals - without those, I would have started running out of food.

All of this is a welcome change from vanilla DF, where I would usually have a single planter feeding my entire fortress at this point, who would still produce enough extra food and drink to buy out entire caravans!

There are a couple things I noticed that are still a little weird, though:

- You still get 5 booze per 1 plant when brewing, which makes brewing->cooking a phenomenal way to multiply your food stockpiles. Same goes for sweet pods and quarry leaves. Maybe this could be reduced to 2 or 3 products per reaction?
 - I don't have any ponds on my map, but IIRC fishing is probably still a fantastic way to get a ton of food.
 - Merchants still offer large quantities of very cheap food, which can feed your fortress until the next caravan with food to spare. I don't know if you can do anything about this, I suppose players can always just chose not to buy any of it.
 - Due to the seasons bug, the only above-ground crop I can actually grow on my map is lettuce(planted in the spring only, with a 2 month grow cycle), which sucks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 02:00:44 am »

Not sure if this is the same issue as already reported, but I've found a large number of overground crops can never be planted, i.e. they're displayed in red when it's their planting season (but without the indication that seeds are missing, and I do have seeds. I've even bought seeds just in case they happened to be unavailable in a barrel). I didn't really bother with looking at the harvest results as I had a huge booze supply from stripping the surface of brewable plants (to get seeds), so I just set single tile plots up for each brewable plant supported and set them to all "seasons" (letting DF figure out which ones apply).
Rope reed grows fine, but I've never gotten any hemp (Selected, but shown in red as spring starts). I've also never gotten any berries (blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, etc, with the exception of sun berries, which aren't considered to be a fruit/berry by the still).
Pages: 1 [2]