Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Married to what?  (Read 4236 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Married to what?
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:51:35 am »

I don't know what to make of this new migrant dwarf.

Married to... Nguslu??? Never heard that name for a dwarf. I think it's goblin... (checks language raws...) Yeah, indeed. It's goblin for 'terror'. It does not exist in dwarven language.

It looks like this dwarf is married to a goblin, or to a goblin civilization born dwarf. Never seen that before.
Sadly, the spouse in question is not present with the migrant wave.
There's no long list of 'former member of' or any social skills at all, so I kinda doubt it's a vampire.
Still, I'm going to keep a very close eye on this dwarf.
Which makes two dwarves on this migrant wave that need watching. Another one is very likely a vamp.

EDIT: also, apparantly the age-old bug where babies entering the map in a migrant wave are dropped, and have to crawl their way to your fort is still present. I hope the poor thing makes it. There's already a buzzard circling over it  :o
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:55:06 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Married to what?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:00:29 am »

Huh, well that looks interesting. This world is really coming alive.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 06:07:59 am »

... ew.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 06:24:27 am »

Yeah, I'm a goblin/kobold racist as well. Human/dwarf/elf multiculturalism is fine and good (even if dwarf/elf marriage is weird), but those...

Now the question is : do they breed ? And how are the children ? Can you selectively crossbreed goblins and dwarves to give dwarves [NOEAT] and remove max age ?

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:35:08 am »

Maybe make a copy of your save and look in legends to see just who Nguslu is?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 06:42:04 am »

Yeah, I'm a goblin/kobold racist as well. Human/dwarf/elf multiculturalism is fine and good (even if dwarf/elf marriage is weird), but those...

Now the question is : do they breed ? And how are the children ? Can you selectively crossbreed goblins and dwarves to give dwarves [NOEAT] and remove max age ?
Wait, is interracial marriage a thing in Dwarf Fortress? I've never seen it before. Granted, the game never fails to surprise.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 06:48:21 am »

I don't really feel like legends browsing, but I suspect that it's not an interracial marriage. IIRC, if two dwarves that are kidnapped by / converted to a goblin civilization have kids, they will name their kids according to the language used by the civilization they belong to at that time. So I do believe that it must be a goblin-named dwarf.
Just never encountered before yet.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:42:09 am »

I don't really feel like legends browsing, but I suspect that it's not an interracial marriage. IIRC, if two dwarves that are kidnapped by / converted to a goblin civilization have kids, they will name their kids according to the language used by the civilization they belong to at that time. So I do believe that it must be a goblin-named dwarf.
Just never encountered before yet.

In that case would the OP's civilisation be conquered or ruled by goblins? (confirmation would be much appreciated) Given the mixed integration of civ's.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:58:08 am »

Playability is tied to the entity, so the civ must be dwarven.  It seems that this situation could result if two dwarves were kidnapped and raised as goblins, they had a daughter who they gave a goblin name, and then that daughter migrated back to dwarf civilization and married a dwarf.  Goblins can choose to join dwarf civs, so there's no reason why a goblin raised dwarf couldn't.

Burts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:34:19 am »

Elf multiculturalism? Blasphemy!

Elf sympthatizers must be systematically obliterated.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:02:22 am »

Right. So.

Nguslu Hatredowned was the second eldest daughter of Uzol Snakessalve and Unib Valfigure.
They both were scholars who had decided to leave their mountainhome to study at the elven retreat of Vinewilts. They met each other there, and got married.

In the year 111 however, Vinewilts was assaulted by a goblin force led by a demon, who conquered the site and installed a goblin leader.

Uzol and Unib had two children before the site was conquered, they both got dwarven names. After the site was conquered they had another 5 children, who all got goblin names. Apparently, conquering of the site turned them from 'visitors' into 'residents'. Or else I'd imagine they'd have given their first 2 children elven names.

Nguslu grew up to become a fishery worker in the goblin elven retreat of Vinewilts, and in 130, she met my immigrant, her husband, whom I've aptly named mr. Goblinpants.
Apparently married life wasn't what she expected, because in the same year she got married, she started wandering the wild hunting for monsters, while mr. Goblinpants decided to stay behind in Vinewilts, where he worked as a fishery worker until he emigrated to my fortress.

Nguslu almost got killed by a zombie Yeti that ambushed her that same year, but escaped despite defeat.
In the end, monster hunting proved even more detrimental to her than married life. In 132 a polar bear ate her right leg for dinner. Miraculously she escaped, to be killed by a zombie polar bear later that same year.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:35:50 am »

What moral to draw from this story.....?

Ivory tower academics leave the safety of known society to explore exotic cultures and ways of living. Their kids however suffer from the stigma of being the short fat hairy barbarian children. The problem is only compounded when their enlightened peers enlightenment is not enough to save them them from their more rowdy and even more barbaric neighbors the gobos. The younger siblings, thanks to their new overmaster's attempts at social integration, are obliged to take goblin names and are now twice the object of ridicule as both elves and gobos direct their pent up aggression at the smallest minority. Angry and confused they renounce their parents privileged upbringing and opt for the lazy-ass-good-for-nothing simple life. When a "real" male dwarf comes along Nguslu quickly attaches herself to him hoping that he will be her salvation from her tortured upbringing. The salvation was of course chimeric, he-was-so-authentic / she-was-so-different were not a solid foundation for matrimonial harmony. In the end they split and she goes off to numb her pain by inflicting it on others in an inevitably self-destructive life-style. Her crushed former lover/husband keeps wandering around hoping to somehow fill that whole she ripped through his heart.

....books, should have stuck with the hammer and tongs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:42:28 pm by Bakaridjan »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 11:21:57 am »

Only in DF.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:28:18 pm »

This is the quality that all DF clones fail to capture. None can instigate such a curious discussion and search for answers by reading a few basic details from a character's description or more importantly generate the confidence in there being an actual answer waiting buried in the save file somewhere.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 07:28:18 pm »

Right. So.

Nguslu Hatredowned was the second eldest daughter of Uzol Snakessalve and Unib Valfigure.
They both were scholars who had decided to leave their mountainhome to study at the elven retreat of Vinewilts. They met each other there, and got married.

In the year 111 however, Vinewilts was assaulted by a goblin force led by a demon, who conquered the site and installed a goblin leader.

Uzol and Unib had two children before the site was conquered, they both got dwarven names. After the site was conquered they had another 5 children, who all got goblin names. Apparently, conquering of the site turned them from 'visitors' into 'residents'. Or else I'd imagine they'd have given their first 2 children elven names.

Nguslu grew up to become a fishery worker in the goblin elven retreat of Vinewilts, and in 130, she met my immigrant, her husband, whom I've aptly named mr. Goblinpants.
Apparently married life wasn't what she expected, because in the same year she got married, she started wandering the wild hunting for monsters, while mr. Goblinpants decided to stay behind in Vinewilts, where he worked as a fishery worker until he emigrated to my fortress.

Nguslu almost got killed by a zombie Yeti that ambushed her that same year, but escaped despite defeat.
In the end, monster hunting proved even more detrimental to her than married life. In 132 a polar bear ate her right leg for dinner. Miraculously she escaped, to be killed by a zombie polar bear later that same year.

That's incredible. Thanks for digging that up from the legends!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!