Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ghosts? Meh.  (Read 4056 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Ghosts? Meh.
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:38:40 am »

Had a ghost haunt my fortress since I hadn't gotten around to making slabs yet and the body was trapped in ice. She goes up and visits one of my hammerdwarfs.

Her response? "I was haunted by the ghost. I guess that could have given me a fright."

And her thought lists has "She doesn't feel anything after being haunted by the dead."

I love this game. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts? Meh.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »

Soldierdwarves are funny.

The Hammerlord bashes the goblin recruit in the chest, breaking the left true ribs, mangling the heart, bruising the left lung and fracturing the spine! The injured part is smashed into an unrecognizable mass of gore!

Urist Shieldbrother: I'm nauseated by the sun. Oh, the horror.
One wheel short of a wagon

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:56:06 pm »

I wonder if some bug allows ghosts to dance in this version.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »

I think there may be a problem regarding the dwarves feelings. I had a ghost haunting the fortress for years, not a single dwarf had something different from "doesn't feel anything"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 01:31:38 pm »

This has usually been because being drunk makes them fearless now, and they are all stumbling through life oblivious.  It's a bit overpowered -- all the horror at violence effects have been nullified as well.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 01:50:42 pm »

Between this new revelation and the new scholar locations, I'm beginning to wonder if Dwarf Fortress is in fact an elaborate college town simulator.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 01:52:05 pm »

This has usually been because being drunk makes them fearless now, and they are all stumbling through life oblivious.  It's a bit overpowered -- all the horror at violence effects have been nullified as well.

This makes sense, but it should really being toned down. If in the previous version the dwarves were running away in panic from everything, now they are completely fearless. They don't mind even relatives rotting away without burial.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 01:54:57 pm »

Between this new revelation and the new scholar locations, I'm beginning to wonder if Dwarf Fortress is in fact an elaborate college town simulator.
Well, the european medieval time period was notable for it's cities and the first universities that settled there, so perhaps any good medieval city sim is a college town sim.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 02:08:07 pm »

There really does need to be a better balance point in the whole fear aspect. What we really need, I think, is for entities to have some sort of risk factor associated with critters, with perhaps the inebriation effect just shifting down by a category. So things like Bears or armed Goblins would still be scary for most non-military dwarves but things like Keas wouldn't scare any but the most timid of dwarves.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 04:57:19 pm »

As i put an engraved slab every single time one popup due to unrecoverable corpse, it's been several years i have not tested around letting them alone, but i remember in past versions ghosts could be a serious threat if left unchecked as they could actively attack your dwarves.

So are ghost still able to physically hurt dwarves in recent version ?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 05:13:59 pm »

I saw somebody recently have an axe lord get frightened to death by a murderous ghost, but I'm not sure which version that was.  Dunno about the violent ones that beat people.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 05:21:30 pm »

I remember in df2012 having a legendary crafter dwarf ending in my hospital zone, it turned out that he had been badly beaten by a ghost.
And due to some bad circumstance, it was when i lacked a water source (as there was some very large siege waiting next to it) leading to the unfortunate wounded dying from thirst as none could bring him water.

It's the reason i'm always making lots of slabs in advance nowadays and probably why i have not see if ghosts effect in recent versions are still similar.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 05:27:12 pm »

The slab method is a cheap way to keep them away. I suppose that now with religion we can get more reasons for their appearance and different methods of keeping them away.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 07:18:33 pm »

It's a bit overpowered

Or realistic :/

But play balance is the thing, i suppose.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:40:46 pm »

Not really. But maximal fun is the point.

And honestly how would you act if goblins and forgotten beasts and slaughters?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2