Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System  (Read 32085 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2016, 12:07:47 pm »

Making the animation temporary at lower power levels would fit in as well, though I have no idea how to accomplish that.  If you have enough zombies right now you can build a tower...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »

So something im working on right now, a form of necromancer that grows in power over time, the syndrome of being a necromance has [CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTIONS] which activate at different periods of time so that for example a necromancer of a week would only have a few debuff powers and be called an initiate while a 1000 year old necromancer would be called a death lord and have the ability to kill people with a thought and stuff. I do have some questions though.

1. I want the necromancers to seek apprentices to teach dark arts to, whats the best way to do this?
2. what would I have to do to get them 'cultists' creatures that lack the same kind of powers but serve in a necromancer tower or at least are allied to the necromancers
3. any way to make a temporary possession spell that temporarily turns someone into an undead minion.
4. what effect would all this have on worldgen

1. The IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE is what controls that. I can't remember if towers are necessary for apprentices, but I hope not.
2. I don't think so, no. Necromancers are friendly to anything with OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, but aside from that... only if you attached a transformation to a reanimation interaction.
3. Transformations into a creature with OPPOSED_TO_LIFE or just giving them OPPOSED_TO_LIFE temporarily (I have no idea if the latter will cause loyalty cascades like CRAZED does, though) should work.
4. I think only reanimation and transformation interactions happen in worldgen, but it would be nice to get confirmation on this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2016, 03:34:46 pm »

So something im working on right now, a form of necromancer that grows in power over time, the syndrome of being a necromance has [CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTIONS] which activate at different periods of time so that for example a necromancer of a week would only have a few debuff powers and be called an initiate while a 1000 year old necromancer would be called a death lord and have the ability to kill people with a thought and stuff. I do have some questions though.

1. I want the necromancers to seek apprentices to teach dark arts to, whats the best way to do this?
2. what would I have to do to get them 'cultists' creatures that lack the same kind of powers but serve in a necromancer tower or at least are allied to the necromancers
3. any way to make a temporary possession spell that temporarily turns someone into an undead minion.
4. what effect would all this have on worldgen

1. The IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE is what controls that. I can't remember if towers are necessary for apprentices, but I hope not.
2. I don't think so, no. Necromancers are friendly to anything with OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, but aside from that... only if you attached a transformation to a reanimation interaction.

3. Transformations into a creature with OPPOSED_TO_LIFE or just giving them OPPOSED_TO_LIFE temporarily (I have no idea if the latter will cause loyalty cascades like CRAZED does, though) should work.
4. I think only reanimation and transformation interactions happen in worldgen, but it would be nice to get confirmation on this.
I notice vanilla wise they are Friendly to Everyone if you happen to wipe their entire zombie army behind close doors so you don't aggro them.
I don't think their raws have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE else you end up with the case of modded necromancer players getting jump in towns just because of that token being modded in.
they have NOT_LIVING or something so I guess slap NOT_LIVING on the cultists so that they don't get beat up by their mentor's zombie guard.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2016, 05:17:21 pm »

I notice vanilla wise they are Friendly to Everyone if you happen to wipe their entire zombie army behind close doors so you don't aggro them.
I don't think their raws have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE else you end up with the case of modded necromancer players getting jump in towns just because of that token being modded in.
they have NOT_LIVING or something so I guess slap NOT_LIVING on the cultists so that they don't get beat up by their mentor's zombie guard.
I said they were friendly to opposed to life, not that they had it. I proposed giving opposed to the cultists because I assumed they wanted them to be hostile to the occasional adventurer.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2016, 05:34:17 pm »

I said they were friendly to opposed to life, not that they had it. I proposed giving opposed to the cultists because I assumed they wanted them to be hostile to the occasional adventurer.
hmm wouldn't that make their transfer to becoming true necromancers more a mellowing out phase then?
would the syndrome stack properly and remove opposed_to_life or will it ignore it and make angry necromancers who would raise the dead as soon as they see you?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2016, 06:05:43 pm »

Also anybody know if there is a way for an interaction to target an undirected gas on an enemy? rather than having it come out of your creature? I want to create a spell that creates a mist on a targetted square that can cause syndromes

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2016, 12:28:44 am »

Also anybody know if there is a way for an interaction to target an undirected gas on an enemy? rather than having it come out of your creature? I want to create a spell that creates a mist on a targetted square that can cause syndromes

Not quite, but if you make a material with a melting point below its boiling point and shoot it as a liquid glob it will poof into a gas cloud on contact with a target.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2016, 12:43:11 am »

Do mean boiling point below its melting point?  Never thought to try that.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2016, 09:57:10 am »

Do mean boiling point below its melting point?  Never thought to try that.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Another fun thing: a vapor spray made out of a material with a boiling point below the current temperature.  It will wait a few seconds, then boil into a massive spiralling cloud that gets everywhere.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2016, 08:27:16 am »

Is there any way to make a spellcaster immune to the dragonfire spells they cast? or any kind of fire spells? or cold spells?

Fireballs seem to have no averse effects on their casters. To circumvent the dragonfire weakness you could turn the caster into a creature with the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag.
Does FIREIMMUNE_SUPER still do something after material rework? I mean all natural dragonfire-breathing creatures have fire immune tissues specified in the raws. I assume FIREIMMUNE_SUPER may make them ignore effect of fire (they will not lose control over themselves), but the materials of their body will still burn. Is it correct?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2016, 10:08:55 am »

Is there any way to make a spellcaster immune to the dragonfire spells they cast? or any kind of fire spells? or cold spells?

Fireballs seem to have no averse effects on their casters. To circumvent the dragonfire weakness you could turn the caster into a creature with the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag.
Does FIREIMMUNE_SUPER still do something after material rework? I mean all natural dragonfire-breathing creatures have fire immune tissues specified in the raws. I assume FIREIMMUNE_SUPER may make them ignore effect of fire (they will not lose control over themselves), but the materials of their body will still burn. Is it correct?

Creatures catch on fire if their body temperature rises above the ignite point of their materials, even if they have the FIREIMMUNE tag.

They will also catch fire immediately if they are hit by a fireball or fire jet, or touch magma, even if their materials should not logically burn, unless they have the FIREIMMUNE tag.  Dragonfire works the same way, but will ignite even regular FIREIMMUNE creatures.

You can abuse these rules somewhat to make interesting effects (my ichneumon is FIREIMMUNE_SUPER and therefore resistant to Dragonfire, but has normal materials, so sustained fire will ignite them eventually) but in general you will want both.

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2016, 04:35:34 am »

so, does research in fortress mode sometimes produce secrets, or books with secrets? meaning, will scholars discover secrets with the "mundane research possible" tag, if they have immortality as their secret goal?

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2017, 03:18:30 pm »

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the undead topic :p

So, well, i have try to figure out how to mod the secret system and all seems to be crystal clear ... except that simple modifications on the vanilla secret (necromant) doesn't seems to work.
For example i have tried to make goblins mortal for allowing them to make tower ... but ...

It didn't appear to work, even on 500 year of nearly full of goblins world ...

Also i have equally try to remove the mortal tag in a modifie version of the secret... does'nt appear to generate tower to ...

So few question :

- Is this secret hardcoded in a way that these modification can't work
- Other secret don't generate tower i guess ?
- Can the secret objective be a problem in the second modification. Is there a process that check that immortality objective of secrets can only be applied to immortals ?

Well, and basicaly, what did i miss ? Is it possible to have elves/goblins necromant towers in any ways ?

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2017, 03:35:24 pm »

Ok, quick correction, in fact, it seems to work.
In the legend viewer i have one tower made by a goblin necromancer.

But the world is full of 95% goblins and only one of the towers on 6 are funded by a gobelin. So it works, but i guess one of the stage of creation of a necromancer is way much difficult for gobelins than for humans (maybe they don't read as much ? or don't have biblio ? Don't know ...)

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:24 pm »

Ok, after few digging in legend mods i can hypothesise few things.

In fact, all the goblins necromancer seems to have been teached by others (human necromancer etc...) and nether tried to prey deity ...
I thinks that it could explain the few goblins necromant, the few tower goblin etc ... as goblins seems to have no religious token.

So, well, i will made some supplementary dwarven science and come back :p
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9