Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System  (Read 32089 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2015, 04:12:10 am »

Let's say an adventurer acquires a slab or other book that teaches a secret, and carries it with them to a fort where they are then retired. The fort is then resumed, and the slab placed in the library.

Let's also assume that this library is diligently cleared of any books other than the slab via a careful system consisting of haulers and magma.

Wouldn't anyone who visited the library and read the book acquire the secret and then be capable of the interactions? Or does it just not work that way?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 09:11:14 am »

I've seen people turn large portions of their fort necromancer using the method described above.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 12:49:34 pm »

I've seen people turn large portions of their fort necromancer using the method described above.

Do they become hostile? :o
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 06:22:54 pm »

Apparently not. They only raise the dead when in combat situations and the undead turn on their masters.

I should have linked the Reddit post. In the example fort they trade for a copy of text they stole and retired into dwarven hands. It is quite popular even with other books in circulation.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 09:17:49 am »

kinda wonder if it's possible to slap the tame token on the raise dead interaction for necromancers so that you can train any captured undead for war/hunting?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:30 pm »

kinda wonder if it's possible to slap the tame token on the raise dead interaction for necromancers so that you can train any captured undead for war/hunting?
I'm pretty sure OPPOSED_TO_LIFE overrides everything.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2015, 06:03:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure OPPOSED_TO_LIFE overrides everything.
You're right, but I had this funny mental image of the trainer feeding braaaaaaaaaains to a caged zombie.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 01:36:06 pm »

Inspired by thriggle's discoveries here, I created the following secret:

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:SECRET_FIRE]
[I_SOURCE:SECRET]
[IS_NAME:the secrets of fire]
[IS_SPHERE:FIRE]
[IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY]
[IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE]
[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE]
[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]
[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_fire.txt]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_SPEAK]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:fire mage]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:fire mage:fire mages:fire magic:START:0]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Hurl fireball]
[CDI:INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]
[CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Spray jet of fire]
[CDI:INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]
[CDI:FLOW:FIREJET]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:5]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]

Do you know if there is a way to add fatigue/exhaustion effects to spell casting, to balance out how OP some such spells can be? :)

EDIT: I believe adding a syndrome to each spellcasting under a common tag should work. I.e. concentrated spell drain could lead to dizziness, headache, vomiting, necrosis and even death. :) I have a good feeling about this.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:23:02 pm by Roxfall »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »

Do you know if there is a way to add fatigue/exhaustion effects to spell casting, to balance out how OP some such spells can be? :)

EDIT: I believe adding a syndrome to each spellcasting under a common tag should work. I.e. concentrated spell drain could lead to dizziness, headache, vomiting, necrosis and even death. :) I have a good feeling about this.

There is a way, but it has a few caveats.

Basically, you need to make an interaction with two targets.  Target A is the regular target (LINE_OF_SIGHT), while target B is the caster (SELF_ONLY).  In the interaction, target A should have a manual input, while target B should not.  The syndrome added to target B (the caster) will be automatically used if and only if the interaction with target A occurs.

The main caveat is that USAGE_HINT:ATTACK doesn't work here, because the usage hint apparently applies to all targets, and the AI will never target themselves with an ATTACK, so the interaction will never actually be used.  If you want to add a negative effect to an ATTACK spell, one method is to make the interaction grant the target a 'counterattack' spell in addition to damaging the target, which will allow them to retaliate.  But of course, this is less elegant than it ought to be.

Also, if you try to use the interaction and don't select a valid target, you will still get hit by the negative effect.  If the counter-effect is positive (for instance, an energy drain spell), you can cheat by 'draining' nothing and still get the positive boost.  The AI will never do this.

Finally, since these are interaction syndromes and not material syndromes, you can't increase the effect due to multiple uses by using the SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED tag.

Here is an example interaction that increases the strength of nearby units, but also adds a temporary syndrome to the user preventing them from gaining the ability again until it wears off.  This method could be used to make a unit with multiple types of buff spells, but using one of them prevents them from using another shortly after.  You can also replace it with stuff like dizziness, nausea, etc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 05:45:41 pm »

That's awesome! Thank you for the info you saved me so much time. Time to do some !!SCIENCE!! on this thing.

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 05:52:46 pm »

I wonder if I can get it to happen by using usage_hint:major_curse instead :)

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:55 pm »

Major_curse doesn't look like the way to go. It's for gods doing things, not for mortals hating each other's guts.

But there may be another way.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Interaction_token#USAGE_HINT

According to this, if there is no usage_hint, the AI will use the interaction whenever possible. So if the fireball spell marks its victim with a syndrome:manaburn, and the person who threw that fireball has a 'cleanse manaburn' FREE_ACTION ability that can only be used on people with manaburn, then maybe it'll clean it up and get the feedback effect (almost) instantly. The problem with that idea is that if there is ever a wizard duel you never know who is going to eat the manaburn first, and adventurers need a compelling reason to do that. Maybe cleansing manaburn, despite the pain etc makes your next spell more powerful somehow? Or maybe one cannot affect a manaburned target with any magic?

Still reading, but that's the best idea I've come up with so far.

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:39 pm »

And that's still a bad idea.

An AI opponent will cleanse empty tiles repeatedly and hurt themselves in the process via the 'cheating' mechanic you've described. :(

Game, set and match.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2016, 02:59:50 am »

Yeah, the interaction syndrome seems pretty open ended, until you realize it isn't in a lot of ways.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:36 am »

And that's still a bad idea.

An AI opponent will cleanse empty tiles repeatedly and hurt themselves in the process via the 'cheating' mechanic you've described. :(

Game, set and match.

Wait, doesn't CONTEXT_CREATURE require a creature, not a tile? MATERIAL_EMISSION uses tiles, not creatures.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9